Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course there are two answers to this question. The 1st is the moral and decent thing to do. Upon finding your treasure you notify the land owner of your find. You should also try and figure out the age of the cache and see who owned the property during that time. Surely any survivors should get there share. Also, you want to make sure the IRS and the State's department of revenue know about the find so that they can get their fair share. Once everything has been properly handled you will be happy with your "finders fee" that you can collect with a clean conscience. The 2nd answer is.............well gosh, I guess there was only one way to handle that after all.
....To me the moral and decent thing to do ....Is never tell the IRS about the find.....And never contact the State Dept of Revenue about it .... And do not share with any one about your find.except your wife ......... And as getting it appraised.... With a little research on you own ... You will know what the value of what you found......... The smart ones that make large finds never tell any one about it............ YOU GOT A LOT OF GOOD ADVICE HERE AND THAT WAS KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT.......

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom my point is "TN said" want mean squat in court...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps I'm missing something in this whole mishegoss. Gary, the OP, who doesn't have a detector, and claims not to have found anything significant, was just asking one of those "will the Detector Police somehow track me down, if I ever find anything good" questions. Gary hasn't been here since 2010.

A new member, reading backwards in the archive, revived this for reasons unknown, and we're back talking to Gary...

Is there not a graveyard for forgotten posts, or ones that should be. 8-)
Yes i saw this post was 3 years old ...... But i had to put my 2 cents in...

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....To me the moral and decent thing to do ....Is never tell the IRS about the find.....And never contact the State Dept of Revenue about it .... And do not share with any one about your find.except your wife ......... And as getting it appraised.... With a little research on you own ... You will know what the value of what you found......... The smart ones that make large finds never tell any one about it............ YOU GOT A LOT OF GOOD ADVICE HERE AND THAT WAS KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT.......

My wife ? Really? Why.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife ? Really? Why.
You only tell who you can trust your wife or the ones you hunt with....I tell my wife about my big finds for i trust her.... MAN i hope this with you is not going to be like ..oldmudfoot...

Last edited:

Motorhead

Banned
Aug 1, 2012
DuBois, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts are that if you follow some of the advice given here; you are breaking the law and then are a criminal and subject to criminal prosecution. My advice is to stay within the law. "Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time"

Just sayin.

I don't think that most people would follow the law in this type of case. Probably by the time the government, IRS and lawyers got done with you; they'd have your cache and you'd owe them money to boot!

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
legally spoeaking if there is "proof positive" in the cache --its like finding a wallet with a ID in it --you now "know" exactly who owns the "cash" you found --not turning it over to the lawful owner ( or their heirs )--now makes you legally speaking in the eyes of the law * a theif --by doing theft by conversion -- makng their stuff "your" stuff by not properly returning it to its "righful" owner-- the law in its wisdom does not grant any type of "finders keepers" status on things that can be returned to its lawful owners * otherwize theifs would say they just "found the stuff"--nor is rhe owner of the found stuff legally bound to "reward" your honesty as the law places the burden upon all citizens to be "honest and truthful'.

unknown source money found in "common areas" ( say a stash of silver coins in a mason jar found in a public park ) or in cases where there is no provible source of where the money came from ( a 50 dollar bill in a stores parking lot with no one around "looking" for it) --ie "found money" few if any people would be so dumb to walk into the store asking anyone lose a $50 bill? or walk around the park trying to find the owners of the long buried coins -- those are what I and most others would deem "windfall' moments , and such money I would deem as "mine' first come , first served -- just like coins "abandoned" at a coin stars reject bin --the machine even says to check for returned coins * so if you just walk away --you are "abandoning' the coins n the reject slot --in such a case --in my veiw its first one to the coins gets em.

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only tell who you can trust your wife or the ones you hunt with....I tell my wife about my big finds for i trust her.... MAN i hope this with you is not going to be like ..oldmudfoot...

No I love and totally trust my wife I was just kitten

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to get this "one" gold coin my grandfather gave me. . . .

"really? wow, know anyone who may want to buy it? I may have another one."

nuff said.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If push came to shove, I would say that it was found in my back yard and only if I had to. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread