Causes CANCER?!?!?!? Not my metal detector~

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this and thought I would share it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequent Metal Detector Use Linked To Cancer, Study Suggests
ScienceDaily (March 2009)

Dr. Gradorski, a physician, epidemiologist and lecturer at the University of Alberta, Canada published the results of a study recently in the American Journal of Epidemiology, in which she and her colleagues found that frequent metal detector users were subject to a higher risk of benign and malignant tumors of the testicles.

Those who used a metal detector frequently, while in close proximity to the groin, where the tumors consistently developed, were found to have an increased risk of about 50% for developing a tumor of the testes (male reproductive glands that produce spermatozoa and secrete androgens), compared to those who did not use metal detectors.

The fact that the study was done on a Canadian population is significant. Says Gradorski, "Unlike people in other countries, Canadians were quick to adopt metal detector technology and have continued to be exceptionally heavy users. Therefore, the amount of exposure to radiofrequency radiation found in this study has been higher than in previous metal detector studies”.

"This unique population has given us an indication that metal detector use is associated with cancer," adds Gradorski, whose study investigated nearly 500 people who had been diagnosed with benign and malignant tumors of the testicles.
Controlled Study Reveals Link

The study's subjects were asked to detail their metal detector use patterns in terms of how frequently they used one, and the average length of usage. They were compared to a sample of about 1,300 healthy control subjects.
The study also found an increased risk of cancer for heavy users who lived in rural areas. Due to fewer other activities, metal detectors in rural areas tend to detect more and expose their testicles to a greater amount of RF/radiation.
Gradorski predicts that, over time, the greatest effects will be found in older males who are retired from steady employment thusly allowing more time for the hobby via direct exposure.

While anecdotal evidence has been substantial, the consistency of the results of this study support an association between metal detector use and these tumors. The risks have been hard to prove, mainly due to the long latency period involved in cancer development, explains Gradorski.

Keep detecting but detect smarter.

Today it is estimated that more than 12% percent of the Western world uses metal detectors. As the technology becomes cheaper and more accessible, its usage by a greater number of people, including children, is bound to increase.
Gradorski can only recommend at this time that the user limits direct exposure of the testicles from stray radiation of metal detector units. She suggests shielding the groin area with articles of clothing that resist RF/radiation penetration. The RF shielding bags that are presently available from commercial sources should work in the interim, until a longer lasting solution can be found.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
here ya go guys! :laughing9:

Attachments

• foil.jpg
    foil.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 604

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Curses, foiled again. Just when I thought the foil cap would keep me safe.

R

robbuckalew

I'm sure soon it will be...Metal detecting prevents cancer.

just like,
eggs
milk
beef
pork

I don't believe any of it

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
The study's subjects were asked to detail their metal detector use patterns in terms of how frequently they used one, and the average length of usage.

Sorry not going to tell anyone my average length of usage..it coluld be an 0-4 hours ...oops sorry they mean my metal detector...my bad :o :o

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
well, this must be another study that was provided funding so some bookworm could pay his bills without having to get a real job.
remember, cow farts are destroying the ozone layer too LOL

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
and dinosaur farts caused them to become extinct but I bet all those folks in that MD study also drank water....maybe THAT is what caused it! :o Just go get your tin foil underwear from the above post and go detectin!! :tongue3:

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
I've heard that human flatulence has 3 times more methane than a cow...so maybe we should all be using GAS-X either that or put it to good use powering your own car...hmmmm human methane powered car, wonder how you get the methane into the combustion chamber... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Well as far as I can see the only solution to this cow/human methane problem is a rather nasty solution...too many tubes coming out interferes with mobility :tard:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Primer/refresher, what day is it?
Now do you folks think 12% of the western world uses metal detectors? That would make the manufacturers as big as some of the auto makers out there.

Now what RF freq/xmit levels would you need to become a hazard to your jewels? Somewhere up in the microwave range, 900 mHz or up with considerably higher output levels than anything we're using.

GIB got ya!

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: :o ??? :o Rember Its Spring and Baseball Season is at Hand Go for 2 :thumbsup: :tard: :stop: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_sunny: :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:

B

BIG61AL

12% of us population =36,000,000 divided by the fifty states = 720,000 users per state
Colorado has 3,000,000 people that means more than 25% of the state uses a detector

hmmmmm since in the 14 years i have lived here i have only seen six other people using a detector....the math is only slightly off

ha-ha what a fool i am

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread