is there a large and small indian head cent ?

Anthonywayne

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2009
Camden Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They made the Indian head penny from 1859-1909,which is a small cent. The last year of the large cent was 1857.

OP
OP
A

Anthonywayne

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2009
Camden Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks treasuredog for replying to my post, I am new her and to metal detecting . so I need to look for a indian head penny that pre-dates 1857 to get one of the large coins? thanks again for your help.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davidhall.com has a price guide and lists coins.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
You may have been shown one of the very few civil war tokens that are larger than cent size.
I've seen several that were the size of a quarter and to a child it may have been remembered
as half dollar size or possibly there are some even larger and i just have not seen them yet.
siegfried schlagrule

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
There are three varieties of 'Indian' heads. They are all 'small' cents.The 1859-1864, copper-nickel varieties 1 & 2 cents are sometimes called Fat Indians because of their .073 thickness, compared to the other, bronze 1864-1909 variety 3, that is .056 thickness. All are 19 mm. in diameter. The 1856-1858 Small Cents were called a Flying Eagle and were also 19mm. in dia.. The so-called Large Cents, pre-1856, are much bigger in diameter. None of these Large Cents is called an Indian Head.

Hope this right........I think it is.

Bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread