How do you guys find all these bottles, marbles, & glass???

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
How do you guys find all these bottles, marbles, & glass???

I admit it....I really dig the cool looking glass bottles etc. that you folks keep finding.

How are you finding them??? With the MD? What frequency is the coil? And is a glass's signal return obvious? In other words....do you have a pretty good hunch that it's glass before you dig???

Neat stuff!

-

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How do you guys find all these bottles, marbles, & glass???

Glass, including marbles, will not register on a metal detector. I have found marbles while digging metal targets but it was just "luck" to find the marble. The folks finding the nice bottles are usually digging in known or suspected dumpsites and not using a detector.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Lots of folks find glass while digging privies also.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I findmy old bottles in the woods where the home owner would take his trash too. Lots of good finds in the woods....Matt

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's easy to find glass bottles with an MD... you look for the dumps of years gone by. Use the md to find the metal buried. The glass will be there too! Strictly a gloves situation here. Another way to find the dumps is make a "bottle finder". That's as good'a name as any.... a 5 foot rod 1/8th inch or 3/16th inch with a ball of "weld" on the tip. Shape the tip like a tear drop. The fellow that welds the tip on can also put a handle on the top end. Soil that is put over old dumps usually does not have rocks. Push the rod in firmly but "don't jab"! When it stops suddenly, on a target, DIG! Good luck! TTC

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils

packerbacker said:
Glass, including marbles, will not register on a metal detector. I have found marbles while digging metal targets but it was just "luck" to find the marble. The folks finding the nice bottles are usually digging in known or suspected dumpsites and not using a detector.

Uh Oh!!!
My 'noob' is showing!

Thanks fellas! I didn't know that!
<grin!>

-

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

often there are old metal trash junk items in old "trash dump" areas where folks tend to find lots of old bottles and other non metallic old items * --once they find they have hit a "trash pit" area --they use long probes to find the bottles and then dig up the bottles *

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gary in Pennsylvania said:
packerbacker said:

Uh Oh!!!
My 'noob' is showing!

<grin!>

-

Don't sweat it Gary, we were all Noob's once.

My marble collection was gathered simply by keeping my eyes on the ground. I dug a veggie garden at a home and pulled a handful out. The neighbor, a retired steelworker, told me him and his friend who's parents had owned the home, played marbles in a shantie they had in the back yard when they were kids. Others were simply laying on the ground.

Al

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

When I was a kid my brothers, friends and I would go out bottle dumpin. Scout ravines and low areas on private prop, and you will find the old dumps! We dug inks, local bitters, blob-top beers, etc, that was 30 years ago, and I still have some left (that didn't get smashed).
You should have permission to scout private prop, that's the clincher! FFD

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Uh Oh!!!
My 'noob' is showing!

<grin!>

-

I hope everyone will excuse me for bumping this very old thread, but I thought it would be a perfect spot to show a fun little prank project I'm working up for a buddy that seems to find a ton of marbles while metal detecting. It isn't finished yet, but you'll get the general idea. I still plan to put a small LED flashlight into the tee that's sticking up, and of course, to paint it.

go2TpsB.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lost a lot of My Marbles over the years and was wondering if some of you guys would return some of them??

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terryC
creating a metal ground probe is not the best idea
suggest fiberglass or plastic probe rod
while probing the ground with a metal rod, you could juiced buy electrical line
at the very least, insulate yourself from any hand contact with the metal probe probe.png

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find plenty of bottles! But I sure would like to find some marbles!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
terryC
creating a metal ground probe is not the best idea
suggest fiberglass or plastic probe rod
while probing the ground with a metal rod, you could juiced buy electrical line
at the very least, insulate yourself from any hand contact with the metal probe View attachment 1508877

This is why I hesitated to bump an old thread... you are responding to a post from Apr 8, 2009. Haha! I guess your advice is still sound, anyway.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find where the play area was at an old house and start digging up those old toy cars you can often find marbles.

Attachments

• marbls2.jpg
    marbls2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 57

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions