Thinking of buying new detector, Minelab vs. Whites Vision. Lets here it......

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of buying new detector, Minelab vs. Whites Vision. Let's here it......

I just want everyones expert opinion on these two machines. I've always used a Whites, I've had 3 of them, currently a M-6.
Tried a Tesoro but didn't care for it. I known you experts can help!! THANKS Minelab vs. Vision?

HH Joe

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Thinking of buying new detector, Minelab vs. Whites Vision. Let's here it......

I've had both and stayed with my X-Terra 70. It only uses four batteries instead of eight and is much easier to swing and lighter to carry. Had to use a swingy-thingy with the MXT but never with the Minelab. Just my four half-cents.
8)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Thinking of buying new detector, Minelab vs. Whites Vision. Let's here it......

They are both good machines and I have one of both brands. My opinion is that they each serve a purpose depending on the type of hunting used.
Good luck.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Drive up to Indy sometime and do some hunting with me. You will probably be pretty disgusted with your M6 after a full day of detecting.

In the past month I've turned one M6 user into an explorer user, can I make it two?

OP
OP
Finman

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bscofield6 said:
Drive up to Indy sometime and do some hunting with me. You will probably be pretty disgusted with your M6 after a full day of detecting.

In the past month I've turned one M6 user into an explorer user, can I make it two?

Thanks for the invite bscofield6, I may take you up on the offer sometime, but after I get the new upgrade. I wouldn't want you to school me!!
I got a buddy with a explorer and I know it's a great machine that gets great depth compared to the M6. But I've also heard good things about
Whites Vision. Thanks for your comments.
HH Joe

OP
OP
Finman

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fistfulladirt said:
They are both good machines and I have one of both brands. My opinion is that they each serve a purpose depending on the type of hunting used.
Good luck.

Fistfulladirt, Thanks for your info, I'm a coinshooter but I never turn down rings or nice relics now and then. Thanks again!!
HH Joe

plumloko

Feb 11, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT

That is a hard call.
I have used whites and minelab.
The problem that I had with the minelab is that the recovery was slow.

If I was in a trashy area and hit a target and kept swinging I would lose the threshold.
I would have to wait a few seconds for it to come back and then resume hunting.

I used to hunt with a guy who used a Minelab Sovereign.
I used a Whites XLT and consistently beat his finds.

Is that operator or machine?
I dont know but results speak for themself.

I just bought a Vision.
I have not had it long enough to know what it can really do.
But I will tell you that I have been very impressed with it.

A friend of mine and I were on a yard and we always agree to split it in half.
He was using an SE and I was using the Vision.
I found a buffalo and v nickel that he missed.
He didnt find anything on my side.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Considering the Vision has only been out about a month...gonna be pretty hard to get any fair comparison. The user manual isn't even out on it yet...it's still that new. They even changed the name to Spectra V3 because of a trademark issue.

The Vision, which is what I bought 3 weeks ago when they hit the market, in my opinion, is gonna kick butt. Standard 10 DD coil, and the analyze screen is awesome...nothing can touch that right now.

This is my 5th White's machine. I've used them since 1982 when I started with the basic Coinmaster 3000, up to the DFX....now the Vision.

But I can NOT give you an honest comparison because I've never used a minelab and I'm sure as new as the Vision is to me, an experienced minelab owner would run circles around me.....for a while anyhow. Minelabs don't do this...http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/index.php/topic,29318.0.html

I think the Vision is an awesome machine and in time, learning all the tweeks...it will give Minelabs a run for their money if not blow them away. I don't think you'd go wrong with a Vision...lots of potential in this machine.

Al

OP
OP
Finman

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepskyal said:
Considering the Vision has only been out about a month...gonna be pretty hard to get any fair comparison. The user manual isn't even out on it yet...it's still that new. They even changed the name to Spectra V3 because of a trademark issue.

The Vision, which is what I bought 3 weeks ago when they hit the market, in my opinion, is gonna kick butt. Standard 10 DD coil, and the analyze screen is awesome...nothing can touch that right now.

This is my 5th White's machine. I've used them since 1982 when I started with the basic Coinmaster 3000, up to the DFX....now the Vision.

But I can NOT give you an honest comparison because I've never used a minelab and I'm sure as new as the Vision is to me, an experienced minelab owner would run circles around me.....for a while anyhow. Minelabs don't do this...http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/index.php/topic,29318.0.html

I think the Vision is an awesome machine and in time, learning all the tweeks...it will give Minelabs a run for their money if not blow them away. I don't think you'd go wrong with a Vision...lots of potential in this machine.

Al

Al, Thanks for the great info and the target link, I've always used whites machines and the vision maybe next! Thanks Again!! HH Joe

OP
OP
Finman

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plumloko said:
That is a hard call.
I have used whites and minelab.
The problem that I had with the minelab is that the recovery was slow.

If I was in a trashy area and hit a target and kept swinging I would lose the threshold.
I would have to wait a few seconds for it to come back and then resume hunting.

I used to hunt with a guy who used a Minelab Sovereign.
I used a Whites XLT and consistently beat his finds.

Is that operator or machine?
I dont know but results speak for themself.

I just bought a Vision.
I have not had it long enough to know what it can really do.
But I will tell you that I have been very impressed with it.

A friend of mine and I were on a yard and we always agree to split it in half.
He was using an SE and I was using the Vision.
I found a buffalo and v nickel that he missed.
He didnt find anything on my side.

plumloko, Thanks for your comments and info, I'm strongly considering the vision! Thanks Again!!!

HH Joe

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO

enough said- you have a white day-----LOL :thumbsup:

Attachments

• CAMKI5SGCAXK3ESNCA0BWPX3CAS0H285CAJMJ4WCCADAJ5SICA6X7HU3CAYSD74FCAPFMIZPCA10DENCCA4IRF2XCALAV8...jpg
    CAMKI5SGCAXK3ESNCA0BWPX3CAS0H285CAJMJ4WCCADAJ5SICA6X7HU3CAYSD74FCAPFMIZPCA10DENCCA4IRF2XCALAV8...jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 412

JimDE

May 12, 2008
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Vision/V3, 1400DD, Super 12, D2, 5.3 Eclipse
Re: Thinking of buying new detector, Minelab vs. Whites Vision. Let's here it...

I cannot comment on the Minnlab except down at the beach yesterday a couple were using a water Minnlab in front of me and I was picking up a lot of items they missed. Again machine or operator? Who knows.....

I will say that so far my V3 is impressing me at every level. Live Control, occilliscope display for all 3 freq's, depth, etc...... I like it far more than my DFX and I haven't barely started to to uncover this machines full potential. Considering that without the wireless headphones it is only $300 more than a DFX 300 and you have all of the V3's advantages and the D2 coil it's not that bad of a deal.

If I had to buy all over again I would buy it again without any regret.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For all of this Vision talk from everybody, I still have yet to see many posts of finds.

But as soon as people bought the e-trac, even those who had never used a minelab before, they were making finds right out of the box. Whereas the Vision users have just been talking about their machine the past few weeks. I've been noticing this on several forums.

So for all of the vision / spectra v3 users out there, where are your finds? What evidence do we have that this isn't just a DFX with a pretty color screen?

JimDE

May 12, 2008
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Re: Thinking of buying new detector, Minelab vs. Whites Vision. Let's here it...

bscofields6, I am seeing lots of V3 "finds" reports on the White's forum and the Vision forum.

Next two days are going to rain so my hunting will be on hold but I will take a camera with me on my next hunt.

I can say with confidence I am getting more solid hits deeper than I did with my old DFX running HOT programs just in my backyard ( I got mine on 4/10 and it has rained more days than not since so my reports so far are limited and I have lots to learn about the machine too). I can only compare it to a DFX for that is the only other machine I have owned so I may not be the best one to make comparison comments.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JimDe,

I was just looking at results on another forum. It seemed that for every 10 posts asking questions, etc., there was one post on finds. I'm certainly not doubting how good they are (or can be in the right hands), I've just been curious as to what people are actually finding with them.

I would love to hunt with somebody side by side once they gain enough experience with it. Comparing signals would be interesting.

JimDE

May 12, 2008
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used

I think they are all more busy getting to know this machine than trying to push them to their limits right now. It is a very user friendly machine but not having a printed manual, DVD, or a Jeff Foster book on the V3 the learning curve is a lot of trial and error. We'll get it eventually! ??? :icon_scratch: :thumbsup:

The times I have been out I have mainly be getting used to the controls and trying to absorb the volume of information it is making available. Yeah I am finding stuff but right now interpreting what it is telling me and recognizing the information differences that will make whether to dig or not more predictable. I am in sensory overload :)

When I get some more time under my belt with it I promise I will take the time to post my finds.

OP
OP
Finman

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim & Brian, Thanks for the multiple comments, this has become a very good discussion, I'm still leaning towards the whites just because it's the brand I'm most familiar with. I will probably keep my M-6 for a backup, I'm just really disappointed in the lack of depth from the M-6. I feel like I'm missing out on older/deeper finds!
HH Joe

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Joe,I used the Whites M6 for 2 years and found some good stuff,but not as good as the Explorer guys I always hunted with.Last summer I picked up a used Explorer XS for $425.I found the transition easy and my finds went up significantly.I'm also a coinshooter mostly.The Vision sounds very interesting,but it is big,big bucks.For $400-500,you can pick up a used Explorer and have a real upgrade as a coinshooter.Good luck.

OP
OP
Finman

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LI Tom said:
Joe,I used the Whites M6 for 2 years and found some good stuff,but not as good as the Explorer guys I always hunted with.Last summer I picked up a used Explorer XS for $425.I found the transition easy and my finds went up significantly.I'm also a coinshooter mostly.The Vision sounds very interesting,but it is big,big bucks.For $400-500,you can pick up a used Explorer and have a real upgrade as a coinshooter.Good luck.

Tom, Thanks for your comments, I also have used my M-6 for 2 years and I've found some goodies! But exactally like you some of the guys I hunted with used explorer XS or whites DFX, and I just feel like their machines had superior depth.

ROCKITV8

Greenie
Jun 3, 2008

I am also looking at a new one (this will be my first) and I am so confused about whats out there but I really like what I am seeing in the Vision. Is there any dealers in the Youngstown, Ohio area and how would I find one? What are they running cost wise? I just don't know what to get, but Iwant to look at this one for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread