Would you follow your dream?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Day dreamers are somewhat different than night dreamers,

Night dreamers wake up and realise their dreams were a figment.

Day dreamers see a lateral reality...
They become very dangerous men indeed!
If the picture is bright enough,
they will go to the end of the earth to see that reality happen.

I am fortunate to know a few of these people.
They are an adventure in themselves.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
There is an extreme difference between existing in a conventional life and living a life .
"Who dares wins " is an ambiguious statement .
Not all who 'Dare' win . Fact remains that you did 'Dare' rather than reconcile to living a mundane existance .
Do you want your obituary to read "He was a loyal drone to the same mediocre job for 40+years , retired , and silently passed in his sleep 3 years after retirement ."
Or
"This crusty old baxard had spit in the face of the devil his entire life and was still kickin' and screamin' when they rolled his coffin
toward the hearse ."
?

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Would I follow my dream? An emphatic YES! And I have...
My question to you is - what are you afraid of? I'm not being glib, it's a valid question. What is holding you back?
What is the fear that is making you look for support/permission to do what you want? Because it's a little unconventional? Because you might have a hard time explaining your actions, your priorities to others? >:( that!

One of my favorite movies is "Out of Africa". Robert Redford has a scene where he's trying to describe why he does what he does, and he says, " I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I've lived someone else's idea of what my life should be." (or something like that) So...... what do you want to look back on when you get to the end of your life?

I like the idea someone posted about taking a vacation there first. Check out the area. Research the laws. Scope out the housing and job markets. Are the locals friendly and outgoing? Would you feel comfortable there? How's the weather compared to where you are now? Are there other hazards you hadn't considered? Poisonus snakes, nasty bugs, high humidity, hurricanes, floods, wildfires, etc.. etc.
Not that you shouldn't do it if any of these conditions are less than ideal, just that you should know what it's really like before making that big of a commitment. (Oh, yeah - how about taxes, cost of living, and crime rate?) Alot of this information you can find on the web, but there's really no substitute for going there.

One of the things I did to 'follow my dreams' was to go to a prestigious college and get a degree in my early 40's. Not exactly typical, but it was important to me, even tho' when I started that adventure, I had no idea how I was going to make it work. I just took it one step at a time, and everything fell into place. That helped convince me I was on the right track. Not that it was easy. During my 4 years in college- my only daughter left home; my Dad came down with cancer, and after a year of home care - died; my marriage fell apart; and I got divorced. Any one of these things might've been enough to derail me, but I held firm to my dream while the credit card debt piled up and my house almost went into foreclosure because my ex decided to just stop making the payments and not tell me. But I managed to graduate a five year program in four years, with a double major, and with honors. ;D Now I'm the proud owner of a degree in ~drumroll, please~ Fine Art! (Or I wil be in three more years when I get my student loans paid off!) How's that for a sensible, marketable skill?!! Not!
I was the second-oldest student at my school, and I wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything. There were plenty of reasons not to do it, but I would've regretted not going for the rest of my life. BUT, I did have plenty of opportunities to face my fears along the way!

SO, sorry for the long post, but what I really wanted to say is don't let your fears hold you back!

Good Luck with your decision, and with your adventure -
Kilika

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Personally I prefer to stay safe for starters, maybe "tie security ropes" should it go bad. A back up plan simply put.
After I've done that, then, yes I would do it. Never dive head in first if you aren't familiar with the waters. :thumbsup:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
There is a differences between following your dream and playing it safe. Following my dreams is a safe bet that nothing will harm me by looking for buried treasure if I'm in shape and use common sense. And I follow a code of ethics that mainstream hunters follow.

I'm not greedy nor do I sit on the side lines of life. I look for my share of what's out there and side step anyone else looking for treasure so they can get their share.

Safety ropes are training wheeles for beginners. Common sense and precaution will win out over hesitation every time. Follow your dreams or what's the use of dreaming.

I'm no Indiana Jones but I have treasure hunting stories for the grandchildren that Gets them interested in living out their dreams of doing what ever they way to do.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Safety ropes are are training wheeles for beginners. Common sense and precaution will win out over hesitation every time. Follow your dreams or what's the use of dreaming.

"A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat." :tard:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
Eu_citzen said:
Safety ropes are are training wheeles for beginners. Common sense and precaution will win out over hesitation every time. Follow your dreams or what's the use of dreaming.

"A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat." :tard:
Defeat is a wierd point of view for treasure hunting. If i go out and find a hand full of clad then I would call it a slow day. Or maybe I'm missing what you meant by defeat.

I view defeat as NOT following my dreams. I do plan my hunts and then go do the hunts.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seamuss said:
Eu_citzen said:

Defeat is a weird point of view for treasure hunting. If i go out and find a hand full of clad then I would call it a slow day. Or maybe I'm missing what you meant by defeat.

I view defeat as NOT following my dreams. I do plan my hunts and then go do the hunts.
That was not directed towards TH'ing specifically, but rather a remark about life in general. :thumbsup:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
Eu_citzen said:
Seamuss said:
Eu_citzen said:

Defeat is a weird point of view for treasure hunting. If i go out and find a hand full of clad then I would call it a slow day. Or maybe I'm missing what you meant by defeat.

That was not directed towards TH'ing specifically, but rather a remark about life in general. :thumbsup:
Gotcha. I was taking the word out of context.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions