Would you follow your dream?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Fellow MDists! I have a question/dilemma...and I need input from you guys out there! For years I have been interested relocating to another area primarily because it is very historic and a prime area to metal detect. Not only that..this area is so beautiful and scenic...The area where I live now...has good locations to hunt but the area where I am considering to make a move...has some of the earliest settlements in North America. Anyway..I have nothing holding me back..because it is just me....I have no gf, family or anything else to consider for making this big move...It has always been a dream of mine to do this..and as they say..."You only live once".... So do you think by selling my home and just chasing a dream...a too big of a risk....just to do some detecting.?..After all I am only an amateur MD ist...no Mel Fisher ...by any extreme...but MD ing is my first love....and I think by doing this I will find true contentment..and everything else will fall into place..I dont want to look back on my life when I hit 80...and say I wish I had done this...

So do you guys think it is a foolish dream...or is it something worth doing...if it really important to me? I need some SAGE ADVICE..from those out there who understand our great hobby...and perhaps there are those of you out there with a similiar dream...Thanks!!

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
If it isn't likely to hurt your life in other ways (family, work, whatever) pursue your passions. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they peter out ! But if you don't, you will likely have a regret to live with, and those just plain suck.

Diggem'

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you can afford too why not? I followed one of my dreams when I moved to Wyoming and lived there for 18 of the best years of our lives. And aren't we all just chasing a dream all of our lives???

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow your dream except for the one. When You wake up naked in church

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are financially stable enough to do so, then go for it! You only live once, so make the best of it!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Two days ago I had a dream that a squirrel jumped off the corner of the roof onto me and started biting me. Yesterday morning I noticed a squirrel on top of our pole mounted birdhouse and wondered wbhat he was doing there, besides shooing away the sparrows that nest there. Yelled at him to get off there and he jumped right into the bushes next to me. Coincidence? Nope, he was on a birdhouse, not my roof and he didn't jump on me.

Go for it!

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I think there are many other things to be considered before such a move should be made. It is easy for some of us to say ,"Follow you dream", But the reality is that you are the only one who holds all the info necessary to make such a monumental leap of faith.

Your a 38yo male with a house and no family or GF. This sounds like your a very financially conservative person. If so what are the other incidentals ? Like how far away from your current location is this move ? Will you be keeping whatever job you have now ? Or are you looking for a new job at the new location ? What is the cost of living at the new location ? What is the cost of housing, is it comparable with your current house value ? What will your game plan be to sell/buy your old/new house in this current housing market ? You say you have no family but does that mean immediate family like Kids, ex wife etc....? Or does it mean no brothers, sisters, parents etc..... ? What about friends, will you be leaving them behind, getting new ones ?

Don't be flippant about your financial security right now just for some better places to dig for old coins. There's an awful lot of people struggling right now because the job market is really bad where they currently live not to mention it is hard as heck to get new funding for home mortgages anywhere right now. Following your dreams can be a great thing if the timing is right and you cover all the incidentals. But if you don't really consider all aspects your dream can easily become a nightmare. :wink:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:thumbsup: I wish I had of followed my dream years ago also. I'm stuck in a place I don't want to be. If I had the chance to do over I'd "GO FOR IT" Only you know what you can and can't do. What ever you decide I wish you the best.

HH

Desertfox

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you could take a few days vacation or even get into a timeshare in the area to cure the itch for a while. Have you checked for other Tnetters in the area that possibly could host you for a couple days detecting? If you haven't already done so, i think a few visits to the area to do research, check local laws concerning metal detecting, get a feel of the community and the residents and so on would be in order before just uprooting and moving to a new place.

I'm not telling you not to chase your dream, i'm just cautioning you to be careful.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow MD Dog...burst a bubble, why don't ya? That's like logic overload. :icon_pale:

But it's also sage, realistic advice.

If...IF...I was financially sound and didn't have the worries Md Dog pointed out...and probably other issues you'll need to consider...then I'd go chase my dream. After all..."The Great American Dream" is what we persue. But we do it within our limitations...if we can attain it at all.

It's nice to have dreams...it sucks facing reality.

Al

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be 62 years old in Oct. and plan to take early retirement and follow the same dream. Will be putting my house on the market next week, start having yard sales to down size my load and if all goes to plan will be packed and ready to leave the first of 2010. So I say go for it!!!

Gator-Flea

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
deepskyal said:
Wow MD Dog...burst a bubble, why don't ya? That's like logic overload. :icon_pale:

But it's also sage, realistic advice.

If...IF...I was financially sound and didn't have the worries Md Dog pointed out...and probably other issues you'll need to consider...then I'd go chase my dream. After all..."The Great American Dream" is what we persue. But we do it within our limitations...if we can attain it at all.

It's nice to have dreams...it sucks facing reality.

Al

Not trying to burst any bubbles, just have been going through a similar situation with my son who's twenty one. He has his own business, his own home and no attachments other then us his old fuddy duddy parents a couple of sisters and that's it. So he thought until I brought some reality back into a little wanderlust on his part. In the middle of winter he takes a vacation to Bali, then he comes home and announces he's thinking of moving there. ::) :tard: :icon_scratch: ??? :tongue3:

Since the original poster sounded just like my son I had to check the profile to see the age. Now I mean no offense here to anyone, but I had a little hormone induced wanderlust right around the age of forty myself. Thank heavens I married not only the prettiest, but smartest girl in the whole wide world who got me through the forties without too many major hitches. As for bubbles I say go for them at every opportunity, provided some strong serious sober thought is applied, with help from close, older, wiser friends is whenever, where ever possible. ::)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Newfie: First, as they say, "know thyself". Remember life is a balance between what you may wish / dream for and what you receive, sometimes it doesn't balance very long in the winds of time.

I cut loose from society and embarked upon a life of Exploring and Treasure Hunting. I have a full book of irreplaceable memories running from a champagne style life, to not having enough for a cold coca cola.

I have been frozen on the Gobi, sweat soaked in the tropical islands of the Pacific, to being full of skeeter, chigger, and tick bites in the Yucatan Jungles. But in the end, in my case, I would not trade it for any other life.

I probably was a disappointment to my parents in my choice of careers, they probably would have preferred my staying and running the vineyard, and living a stable, secure, life style, but in the end, I brought a vicarious sense of adventuring to my father and a beautiful Mexican daughter- in- law, that they both fell in love with.

As the Indians in the Jungles of Quintana Roo once told me "Don Jose, No-one has seen tomorrow's sun". So it is with whatever you choose to do. But always be completely honest with yourself, are you willing, and able to do what is necessary to adapt to your contemplated new lifestyle

As has been suggested, examine the pros and cons carefully. In my case I was fortunate in being lucky enough to have found / accumulated enough along the way to take care of myself and my family nicely. Will you be as lucky when time finally catches up with you , and it will .

Last thing, life and the world are changing at an exponential pace. This area that you are thinking of moving to, will soon be gone because of buildup, and new laws , never to return. Do you wish to live and pass on with your part in it's history? You may end up with memories that you wouldn't trade for anything.

Listen carefully to the excellent advice given to you by others in here. They speak from experience in our society..

MY best wishes for a happy life no matter which way you choose to go.

This was my goal and I finally made it ---> " www.explorers.org" M1-03

Don Jose de La Mancha (Tropical Tramp)

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live your dream, everything else will fall in place. Best of luck regardless of your decision.

HH Joe

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
We need more personal data to help you in your decision. Are you employed?
Can you transfer your employment to this area with no loss of salary and benefits?
A lot of us wish we could detect in a colonial setting but cannot pull up stakes to
fulfill that desire. How much time have you spent at this locale? Have you re-
searched for restrictions on detecting? Are you financially independent? I would
not sell my home at this real estate bottom. I wish you good luck with your move.

lastleg

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I'm living my dream. There are dreamers and doers. If you dream about something and don't follow up on it, then your a day dreamer. Then there are people who do what they were dreaming about. They are the leaders of the community.

Which one are you? Use it or loose it. I am history, I waite for nobody and I don't sit around dreaming without acting on it.

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Only you know what is best for you.

I took a giant leap of faith at 19 by getting married and moving very far away from home. The advice my parents gave me was "if you're gonna do it, do it while you're young and stupid!"

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a dream! For me my dreams come in two stages. Stage one, researching treasure (dreamin'). stage two, hunting for treasure (living the dream)....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread