mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my DFX a couple of years ago and I m still trying to figure it out. I have gotten the free book on understanding your DFX but still I don't know. I put in the closet and got it out again last year. I do find a lot of coins with it but I jusgt don't find any silver. I read on here to set the preamp to 3 or 4 and the AC Sensitivity to 70-72. Ok I went in to see about doing this and I can not figure out how to do this. Is there someone that is close to West Unity OH that is within a hour from here that would help me out on what I am doing wrong. I would really like to learn how to tune this machine in so I can find some decent finds. Any help would be greatly appricated.....Matt

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
I would suggest selling the DFX and finding a better hobby!
I'm sure you did not mean for that to sound so harsh. Unless he was jumping my claim, I would never discourage him from learning to enjoy this hobby.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers,

First of all the DFX is not a monster. I'll admit it does take some time getting it down. In fact the more time you spend with it the better. Second let me say that if you want to keep your DFX I suggest several things, 1) try to obtain a copy of Jeff Fosters "Digging Deeper with the DFX" 2) try different coils - I used my 9.5 for many months with great results, but when I bought a 5.0 and a DD6x10 wow, and I even own the DD1400. 3) keep playing with it and dig as many signals as you can stand to dig ie from +08 to +92, You know what they say "if you don't dig you'll never find". 4) the last thing is to look at where you are hunting, some sites just don't have the stuff and some do.

Most of my silver rings (15+) have all come up in the +70's or higher even as high as +87. I did find a small toe ring this week that came in at about +58 or so. Now on the gold ring side I have not been as lucky, only have found 3 or 4 and they were all over the scale. My clad count is about $600, my silver coin count is zero, but I have found 1 Buff and many wheats and several in the teens.

I don't know how much time you get to spend with your DFX but it does take time to figure it out and you must dig signals.

fccdfed

JimDE

May 12, 2008
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Vision/V3, 1400DD, Super 12, D2, 5.3 Eclipse
Try single frequency 15khz with mixed mode and pre amp 3-4 and sensitivity 70 or higher for silver .... bet if you are hunting sites that have produced silver you'll find more with these settings

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
I am very lucky that my dealer suggested a M6 for me instead of the dfx. anyhow I am south of Bowling Green. maybe some day we could get to together and see how much we dont know. I have a place that has not been gone over cept once by me. old homestead 1897 circa. looking to find time to check it out. Pm me if you want to

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
The DFX is an awesome detector....Practice makes perfect! Some areas are just not going to produce silver depending on all circumstances....age, construction, sod, previously detected, ect. If there is silver within reach, your DFX will not miss it! Trust me, you have a very good machine. Try to get into an old house with a nice big lawn and I will bow down if you don't find any silver coins! The DFX sings a pretty tune when it is over silver! I have personally found several small "post" type earings, they are very low in metal content, but the DFX gets them up to about 8 inches in the right setting! Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread