Several

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are only a dozen or so battery manufacturers in the world... Buy by price.. I get 24 alkaline AA for 5.00 at Dollar General.. I get 40+ hrs out of 8 in my gta1000 buying name brand 4 batteries for 4.95 is crazy .. even walgreens has a good price on their brand .. I do have Energizer AA 2450Mah rechargeables also but I dont get near the length of time as alkalines tho..

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
My detector uses 9V's so they cost a pretty penny. I did however just buy 20 generic alkaline 9V batteries for $22 from www.batteries.com. This included shipping which was about $6. The batteries were 4/$3.50 before shipping which is pretty low ($0.88 each). They were on clearance so I'm not expecting much. I haven't been using them long enough to know how long they will last though. So far they seem to be doing well. Still, for the same price I would have only gotten about 7 Energizer Max batteries so I can't be too choosy. I've also considered buying the "industrial" batteries which seem to be a lot cheaper in bulk. When these cheap batteries run out I'll look for industrial models next.

I'd love to go with rechargables but the typical Energizer and Duracell 9V NiMH models are only 7.2V and I worry that they won't do well in my detector. You can also buy 8.4V models but they run a little more ($12 each?). So I'd have to shell out about $100 for enough batteries to outfit my detectors as well as a simple charger. That's too much to pay without knowing if they will even work.

Has anyone used the 7.2V/8.4V rechargeable models? If so, how well do they work?

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
A 9-volt battery is actually six 1.5-volt cells wired together in series. Rechargeable cells are just 1.2 volts, so when you stack six of them you get - surprise - just 7.2 volts. Add one more and you have your 8.4 volts. But since you're stuffing seven cells into a package meant to hold six cells, each cell has to be smaller. Which means their capacity is less, and they will run out even sooner.

I'd definitely avoid rechargeable 9-volt batteries.

As for industrial batteries, they should be fine, but there is one thing to look out for:

Some batteries sold as "industrial" are used.

They are put into service in critical, often life-or-death applications (like in some medical equipment), and then pulled long before they are depleted because in those applications, they can't take chances. Then they resell the "lightly-used" batteries in bulk.

I think you'll do fine with the no-names you're using now, and if so I'd stick with them. Can you buy them in larger bulk quantities and get bigger discounts? If you're in a club, you might get together with other guys who use 9-volts and buy a boxful.

As far as I'm concerned, alkalines are alkalines, and I'll take the lowest price I can find.

---Dan Hughes

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Thanks Dan. I'll stay away from the rechargeables then.

Do most metal detectors use 9V batteries or just the cheap ones like mine? I saw someone else posting about needing AA's which would be much nicer as you can easily buy off-brand cheap versions at your local dollar store. I haven't been able to find cheap 9V's anywhere but online. An even then I think I lucked out to get them on "clearance".

Just curious to know what the "norm" is when it comes to detectors.

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Fisher detectors (CZ5, 1212X, 1225X, 1235X, 1265X, etc - probably all Fishers made before they were bought out by First Texas) use 9-volt batteries.

I may have told you I had a White's Goldmaster II back in the 70's that used 14 AA batteries! Six in one pack and eight in another pack.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
danhughes1 said:
Fisher detectors (CZ5, 1212X, 1225X, 1235X, 1265X, etc - probably all Fishers made before they were bought out by First Texas) use 9-volt batteries.
I have owned both a Fishers 1220X and 1265X and they both used eight 1.5v alkaline batteries. When did they start using 9 volt?

As far which batties I use: I only use rechargebles. I don't like paying for batteries over and over again. Also, there isn't any place to recycle batteries where I live and I don't think is does our water supply much good to keep dumping old batteried in the landfills. Not so much a tree-hugger but I do haved to drink the water.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have done the testing of Alkaline against rechargeables in my test garden and out in the field. My detectors mostly use 9 volt batterys. One uses 8 AA's. In real world tests, I have found rechargeables do as good as alkaline. But just don't lsat as long. Therfore I carry an extra set of recharged batterys in my day pouch, if I am going to be out all day. The detector that uses 8AA batterys has an onboard charging system, so I can charge from my vehicle. Also I have a charger for the 9 volts using my vehicles cigarette lighter. The NIMH are better, as they don't have a memory, as the NICAD's do. Most detectors use a 5 volt regulator, which means they will use a battery system down to around 5 volts. This is the reason an 8AA system will run longer. You are starting out with 10-12 volts, as opposed to 7.2-9 volts. Plus 8AA's have more milliamp hours as opposed to 9 volts, which means they will last longer as milliamps are drawn from them.Whichever you choose, It is you choice, you make the call. Happy Treasure Hunting. rockhound

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get them from Canada or Germany

Charge with a RayOVac Model PS3 Universal Charger

Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries 1.5 Volts ( not 1.2 volts )

I got them on Ebay

Using them since Summer of 2006

Paid for themselves at least 20 times over if not more.

Charge doesn't drop off rapidly like nicad do....

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 207
  • batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 199

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six months ago I would have said to stick with alkalines. But just recently most of the major manufacturers have come out with a new rechargable that are "2400s" or higher. I am not exactly sure what the 2400 stands for but they won't drop a charge for nearly a year when not in use, and they hold a working charge as long as regular alkalines. I recently bought a set of 8 Sanyo rechargeables and couldn't be happier. Monty

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DP BOB said:

I got them on Ebay

The packaging on these batteries almost make them look like something for a male enchancement product. ::)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davidtn said:
DP BOB said:

I got them on Ebay

The packaging on these batteries almost make them look like something for a male enchancement product. ::)

I couldn't help it.

Attachments

• bob.jpg
    bob.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 158

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't as happy as that guy even when I was as happy as that guy! M :o nty

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirkland batteries from Costco. A pack of 48 cost around $10. They last about 20-25 hrs. in my X-70.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use rechargable batteries in all my detectors. 9-volts, and AA's for the cost in the batteries you can recharge the batteries around 50 times so you get a lot more time of using your machine for the money......Matt

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Monty said:
I wasn't as happy as that guy even when I was as happy as that guy! M :o nty

I cannot remember happy, Monty. Does that make me older than you? :tard:

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4/22/09 Walgreens right now has packages of 4 NIMH nickel metal hydride AA 2450 mah batteries on sale for $7.99 Regular 12.99 ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread