Metal Detecting at night time

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Some of us have such a huge passion for metal detecting that we sometime go out at night and hunt, here during summer in South Africa the nights are excellent, we wear headlights and if my wife joins me, she carries a spare torch as well, on the beaches it is nice because some times when the spring tides are around, to get to the beach during the day is just not possible.

What are your feelings or ideas about hunting at night?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Africa said:
Some of us have such a huge passion for metal detecting that we sometime go out at night and hunt, here during summer in South Africa the nights are excellent, we wear headlights and if my wife joins me, she carries a spare torch as well, on the beaches it is nice because some times when the spring tides are around, to get to the beach during the day is just not possible.

What are your feelings or ideas about hunting at night?

Africa (NIGHT) = Scary thought to me... Lions, Tigers, and Bears OH MY..lol

Ltr113

Mar 3, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, White's Prizm IV, Bounty Hunter Scout
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, why let a little darkness :stop: bother ya. I went out last night with my headlamp. It's kinda cool. I detect in darkness until I get a tone. Then I turn on the lamp. It's also kind of eerie too. (Darkness and muffled sound with the headphones.) I'm always looking over my shoulder. ::)
Doesn't the new White's Spectrum have a :icon_sunny: light-up LCD?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ltr113 said:
Yeah, why let a little darkness :stop: bother ya. I went out last night with my headlamp. It's kinda cool. I detect in darkness until I get a tone. Then I turn on the lamp. It's also kind of eerie too. (Darkness and muffled sound with the headphones.) I'm always looking over my shoulder. ::)
Doesn't the new White's Spectrum have a :icon_sunny: light-up LCD?
Yes it does... but I'm 'ascared' of things that go bump in the night..lol

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I love to look at night in florida its so much cooler then the heat of the day ...I never tried a light,i just get the target and toss them in a bucket and look at them later..Its fun anytime

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lastleg said:
Tigers and Bears ? ? ?

Ok Ok...I haven't ever been to Africa...hmmmm...Lions, crocodiles, and snakes????????????????Hippos????? :icon_study:

OP
OP
Africa

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
So where do you hear of all these stories that Africa is full of wild animals?
Is this what they teach or taught you at school?

The wildest animal that we get around where I live is most proberely somebody walking around in the dark carrying an AK 47 rifle, jokes aside a person has more chance of been attacked by another person than by eaten by a wild animal, this is a fact.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beach hunting at night is great. All you have to use is a sand scoop no diiggging and looking throught the dirt...Matt

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Was out last night till 3am. We were hunting in a very wild area of my town. Well actually it was on a tennis court that was lit up with a big street light. I like to hunt at night. I use a small flashlight to see when I need to recover the target. I bought a new headlamp tonight that has red led's which will work great in total darkness. The big advantage to night hunting is there are less things to distract you and the sounds always are easier to hear with total darkness.

HH,

Dave

Of course if I lived near tigers and lions then I would just make sure I could outrun the person I was out hunting with. A little survival of the fittest thing in me. The animals usually always go for the slow ones first.

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
I am crazy about night hunting! I love it! My DFX has a backlight, I set it on 1, and it doesn't run the battery down so fast! I wear a headlamp (LCD) the battery lasts forever and the light is more than ample at night! I have the whole place to myself and nobody is in the way for me! Go for it! I dig it! :sign13:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread