What would you do ?

Likely Guy

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Hi, I have never posted before, just read. But I wanted to say something on this. You should contact your local G.I.S. (Geographical Information System) department. Most counties have them in their government/courthouse building. If your county doesn't, a close by one should. They are in charge of mapping for the county for tax purposes, amongst other things. My local GIS coordinator is a fellow digger and always stresses the importance of reporting any site that you even have a thought about being an old cemetery or graveyard. Hallowed Ground.

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
The site is private land, and is very remote by central eastern Virginia standards. It is a long way before you hit an occupied structure, or a driveable road. We parked at the end of the road, and hiked in a couple of miles when we stumbled onto this area. Oddly enough, it was within 100 yards of places that I've been several times before and had marked in the GPS. We were literally standing in the middle of this plot before we realized what it was.

Just so no one had any concerns, there was never any thought of disturbing the graves themselves. The extent of our exploration of this site was to mark it on the GPS, try and establish the area that was covered by graves, take a couple of pics, and look for the most likely area where a structure would have been. Both of us layed our detectors down, took off our backpacks, and just checked out the area, surprised to have walked into a graveyard in the middle of nowhere.

The land is owned by my buddys next door neighbor. He plans on asking him if he even knows it exists. My guess is that he probably doesn't. It is several thousand acres of land, and somewhat rough terrain getting to much of it. It will be his call on what follow up if any will be done as far as preservation/restoration.

I did check on the county records on-line, and these records were only available at the state level. The state required an in-person, or mailed application to search the records, and charged for each search. Being the time frames involved, and many records were lost or burned during the war, that doesn't sound like a great bet.

I'll get better pics next time. As soon as I started taking these, the camera decided to fail.

deepdreamer

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2009
central indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
something people may not realize or not think about is back then they didn't bury bodies six 6 feet deep. ground hard no backhoe ,dull shovel ! lol . so 12 to 24 inches may get into something you dislike -yuc

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might just try a grave probe used in locating old grave sites. After you know how to use it the owner may want to try to preserve the area. You do not have to dig. That looks like many graves from home sites in the mountains .Amazing the rocks are still upright though.... tread softly study hard and work with the land owner.Might be a fun adventure,,,,,
Cheers
TnMountains

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll agree with Likelyguy..contact the local Historical Society and elt them know about the cemetery adn ask if they know anything about it, if not they may ahve an interet in preserving it. Also, if this is an old civil war site, contact the Veterans Administration for if is a cemetery for some vets, they may wanna preserve it as well.
Personally I would not detect anywhere but around the area but no where near the graves, but that is a moral question and only one you can answer yourself.
Hopefully someone will show some interest in taking care of this cemetery for it is a shame to see it untended and forgotten.

kycanine

Jul 29, 2007
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are way too many other places to hunt. I would leave the old cemetary alone. Pretty neat find in itself though.

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
This cemetery find is BANNER worthy. You and your buddy found the remains of 25 apparently forgotten people. How many can say that? It's way more rare than a coin or artifact. There is bound to be an interesting story behind the fate of these people and location of the graves. I agree with the 'no digging' sentiment. I do hope you can ID the grave markers and perhaps reunite the descendants with these lost graves. Good luck and you have my vote for BANNER :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
FUNNY THING YOU SAID THE CAMARA ACTED UP AS YOU STARTED TO TAKE PHOTOS --- many folks say that the spirits of the dead can drain energy from electrical devices * as a way of attempting to "make" their presence "known" TO THE USER OF SAID DEVICES ---AND TO GAIN "LIFE FORCE" TYPE ELECTRICAL ENERGY --- and if they get enough energy can try to form shapes ormist to make their presance ever farther "known" -- in graveyards and in haunted areas * unexplaiined high sudden or total drain of batteries has been know to occur. -- yes I am a "believer"in spirits thru first hand "happenings" --which is why I WOULD NEVER EVER TOUCH A GRAVEYARD OR "KNOWN" BURIAL AREA

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I appreciate the banner nomination !

As far as the camera acting up due to supernatural forces, I admit this didn't cross my mind. I placed the blame more towards my girlfriends daughter probably trying to jam the battery cover shut when she had borrowed the camera ;D

I'll take my "good" camera there next time, and if I get a repeat malfunction with two different cameras, on two different days, then I'll be a believer in more than just ghosts !

Right now I'm betting on the girlfriends daughter being the culprit.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ghost are natural forces --nothing "suoer" about em . --- they just scare the bejesus out of some folks (those that are scared of death)

the human body has a bit of electrical energy running in it ==some call it chee or life force in the far east --(it 's how our nerves work and it makes our heart beat --- :wink:--- thats why they "shock" heart attack folks "back to life"--ever heard the term "the spark of life ?"--- well when one dies that life energy in the body has to go somewhere / discharge into something or place.-- this is the basis for "spirits" in my view .

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Bah, ghosts are crap. Hunt the site; just be careful and don't dig too deep.

Take some pics of the grave stone engravings or make rubbings of them. Maybe we can pinpoint who they were!

R

robbuckalew

detector dave said:
I think you will not hurt any thing , most detectors only go 9 inches deep. You should not hit any bodys!!!! I would keep looking but I would never go into a moderen grave yard.

OK, I am not trying to start an argument here.
Why would you dig an old cemetery and not a modern cemetery?
That makes no sense at all. So, if the cemetery is in the woods and nobody can see you it is OK.
Or you have more respect for modern day graves. Please enlighten me. :icon_scratch:

In my mind stay the hell away from those places. It is disrespectful to not only the family but to the Human Being that was put to rest there. Put yourself in their shoes.

(related Topic) Please read if you have not already.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,233459.0.html

M

michigan michael

:wave: wave good bye to that spot and move on! 150 years from now would you want someone digging around where your family is laid to rest? I would personally contact my local historical society if I were you. A lot of history could be learned from that spot! Best of luck.

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Native american beral site

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I would definately tell the land owner. You might make his day in having found it. I for one know of a family cemetery somewhere on a hillside where my ancestors are buried, but no one knows where it is anymore. My granddaddy tells me stories about it, says it has old fashioned headstones and stuff, but is too old to show us and can't tell us. I'm talking an 1800s cemetery.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right get the tomatoes ready but her is my take:

Would I go into a public cemetery and detect: NO, it would just look plain bad to others and they probably have close loved ones around still.

What could you find in such a place: Coins, jewelry, misc stuff dropped by people attending funerals or visiting deceased loved ones about the same kind of stuff you might find in a park.

Dectors and depth: You bet ya, in today's age of bronze and metal caskets your detector might just pick it up since it is so large, but like with pipes, and other items but you better know what it is and not dig it. With that interference it just isn't worth detecting for what you would find.

Now would I detect an old private cemetery with the owner permission: YUP, I would also offer to help clean it up, record data and info and research the folks who reside there.

Why would I do it: Well anything lost would be old, maybe a pocket watch, broach, hat pin, and coins. Would I dig..no I would surface scan not going more than 2" Worst case scenario you find some old rusty coffin nails.

Now this is my personal opinion and I am okay ethnically with it, you might have different views and might not feel its right, but I love to uncover the past, and try to re-tale a story, so that those people who lived so long ago that no one remembers might just live again, even if I invent a story around it, I am sure they wouldn't mind much. My story in such a case would go something like"

In a wooded area south of somewhere, lies a small hillside, where the trees line the northern border and whisper the echos of the past drawing me nearer. I discover as I stumble my way over the rocky terrain odd shape stones jutting out sprinkled beneath a blanket of time. In that instant, with the sun dancing methodically through the trees, the realization dawns. YADDA YADDA YADDA..it was within this peaceful forgotten plot I found a delicate broach, I could see her at that instant a young woman falling to the cold- hard- ground, her black skirts pooling around her threatening to swallow her fragile shell. A gray sky looming above, then a boom of thunder her eyes turned to reveal the all the sorrow of the world that was now laid upon her. Then as if no longer able to contain its tears, heaven opened up and cried for her. Struggling to untangle herself from the mass of black cloth, she tried to rise, and as if death itself reached beyond the grave, an invisible hand closed over the tiny oval broach nestled against her heart, plucking it away. She ran at that moment, ran for shelter, away from all she had ever known, her heart, her life, her love, and she swore as the rain lashed against her checks, she swore she heard heard his voice~ fare thee well my love, fare thee well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
tx kickergirl --you missed yer calling as a "romance" mush book writer.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...I read enough of the dang things, I really ought to start writting my own...ah maybe someday, except I would have to have a dashing misunderstood pirate as the hero, and a beautiful, cunning lady that not only steals his treasure, but also his heart. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread