Isnt it time we demanded support ?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Isn't it time we demanded support ?

Isn't it time we demanded political support from those who gain financially from Treasure Hunters ?

Isn't it time that manufacturers, publications, T.V. stations, and movie producers who make a profit from what we treasure hunters do or buy should stand up and support with their voices and wallets the treasure hunting community at large ?

If you agree, lets hear some Ideas to force the issue since they don't seem to want to tackle the issue on their own. Which I find really puzzling except for outright lazyness, why wouldn't they want to do this of their own free will ? It only makes good business sense. :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Isn't it time we demanded political support ?

We need to make more waves over this. Big Business doesn't very often seem to do what's in its best interest in the long run. Too busy making money hand over fist, rather than invest a little of that money in its future. And if the legislation puts us out of a hobby, at that point it will be too late for businesses or corporations to get involved. They'll be too busy tightening in their belts.

Thanks to their new approaches to the detector market in the last decade (selling detectors to the Masses as "start up" or "beginner models" very cheaply--to as many as possible--and hoping for the bigger score down the line), they have done quite well--and they should be our advocates and lobbyists in this.

Two other things have happened due to this marketing strategy--first off, we are a real Force now, not just a few hundred old time Civil War Relic Hunters. There are millions of us. We should stick together and make our voices heard.

Another side-effect is that since so many models have gone into the hands of folks who would use a detector just about anywhere, metal detecting is viewed by many communities, organizations, and agencies as a real problem. It's similar to when you park your bicycle on the sidewalk. No problem--until everyone else starts doing the same.

So in many ways, it is the Big suppliers and distributors who have brought us to where we are now. And I'm right there with you, MD Dog, in thinking that they should get involved.

-Buckles

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Re: Isn't it time we demanded support ?

thanks Buckles, the very fact that you agree with me shows I'm making progress in my thinking somewhere :tongue3:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It will be an uphill battle. The perceptions are that we are all bums and crackpots (especially the "fringe" treasure hunters looking for large caches with pseudo-science techniques).

I was at a park coin-shooting and pull-tab collecting one day and a young woman stomped up to me and said "You know that's stealing!"

"Beg your pardon?"

"You're stealing from people who lost things!"

"You mean the litterbugs who carelessly dropped junk in the park?"

Get the government involved, ESPECIALLY state government, and look for pay-to-play detecting licenses, inspections, registrations and seasons. Like with driving, fishing, hunting, boating, etc., etc.

No thanks. I'll take anonymity and self-sufficiency.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.

Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,, Ya cant even get people to put up a fight to keep our 2nd amendment. (Thats the one about guns) much more important than metal detecting.. just my humble opinion. like the song says: I'm trying to help ya son but your to young to vote. there aint no cure for the summertime blues.......................

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

Yep I'm gonna be an outlaw in my 60s where I have never broken a law in my life it is quickly becoming a police state which will make me have no choice. I own guns and never plan to give them up, peacefully. I own and use metal detectors, and never plan to give them up, Peacefully !
I eat meat, pass gas, swear, and don't believe in Aliens. Guess I should just sit back and accept my fate, to be labeled a criminal even though I could have done something about it now I'll just do nothing and in fact think I'll join you two guys and try to tear down anyone else who tries to do anything about it as well. We should all just accept our fates so we can look back and say see we knew we were right ! :tard:

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Why can't the manufacturer's put into the box an FMDAC application along with the warranty card? Or pledge a couple dollars of each sale towards the FMDAC or another similar organization?

http://www.fmdac.org/

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I started MDing only last year so am not an old timer in the sport.
Got lots of strange looks and felt weird but had fun.
Tot lots I felt like I was scaring folks as my kid was 24 yrs. old and hunting with me and not a young child.

This past fall showed TV ads from Whites for MDs and even Geico Ins. Co. showed an MDer! ugly face. LOL
Now most folks seem to know I am not a pedophile and am just looking for treasures.
So there has been some support from big business.
I have been to Whites factory to get some fixing done and I wouldn't call that a big business although they share a large part of the market.

I think most folks now know what our hobby is about and some laws have been relaxed for hunters.
Am not sure MD Dog what you want.

Stoney56 thanks for the link. Never knew about that group.

And Charlie P, I agree.

Grey

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

Since it is part of the marketing ploy which results in some of the worst damage I think he manufacturers should get together and pressure the offending manufacturers into doing more to prevent the damage being done to our sport by amateurs. It is the averag kid who gets a MD at Wally World who then runs out to the local parks and starts digging fox holes for those elusive ghost signals and never filling their holes back in that is the major portion of our bad rap. Maybe the manufacturers should realize that this type of marketing may lead to a future responsible detectorist but for every one of those, there will be how many not responsible people running around with detectors causing damage to parks laws and worst of all our reps. It is the amateur who would read such an article in a major treasure hunting magazine who then asks mom and dad for a MD for his birthday. Then where will he go first ? To the local grave yard and start digging. I can't tell you how many times I've seen newbies here posting about hunting a grave yard. There's actual videos on You Tube showing idiot amateurs hunting in grave yards. What I'm asking for is some organizing by manufacturers to police their own products rather than waiting for the governments to do it for them, or worse waiting for the patrons of their products to take action on their behalf. They are the manufacturers and if they think a little booklet with the treasure hunters code of ethics is enough to cover their liability then they better raise their rates higher so they can afford better legal advice. :o :wink:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree with MD Dog as far as who is causing us grief. A couple of the big box stores I've seen with low end detectors in them, Wally world, Dicks, etc.....seem all to carry the same line of machine.

Higher end manufacturers seem to find a different niche to sell to. My White's dealer has his machines locked in a display and offers demonstrations. He explains them. Granted, it's just a hobby store...but it says something for the dealers and manufacturers of better machines.

Ebay has also opened up a new way to purchase machines without any information...just like the big box stores. Quick sales, cheap prices.....uncaring people with the machines in their hands...hard to stop this trend.
Stuffing boxes with more forms and applications is just one more piece of paper someone will toss out.

A good start would be for manufacturers to put right in the directions for us...in VERY BIG WORDING, IN THE VERY FRONT, PROPER DIGGING TECHNIQUES!

In the beginning of the manuals...let people know this hobby is in danger because of reckless behavior.

This would ONLY be a start....there are a lot of steps that need to be taken to protect us from the careless, reckless, idiotic users that are slowly closing everything off to us.

I'm not one that makes waves and draws attention to the hobby. I play under the radar, don't ask officials whether I can or cannot play in the local park, hit the woods whenever I darn well feel like it.

But I do see the trend in other states that are blanketing everything with the "No Metal Detecting" rule.

There was a saying about the Jews during the war.

They took the Gypsies ........and I just watched.
They took the Jews.......and I just watched
They took the Poles.......and I just watched.
Then they came for me........and no one was left to stop them.

I for one haven't been involved with the FMDAC. I always seen them as an organization that sponsers events, researches laws and disseminates information. I don't see them as big fighters for our cause.

I know a lot of metal detector clubs support them...financially....but why aren't they trying to organize detectorists a little more than they do. Why aren't they spearheading something?

They could easily get mailing lists from dealers and manufacturers and they could be sending out info to new detectorist's.

If someone wants to start a good, responsible, logical fight....I'll jump right up to the front line..... The ones that should be in the lead are nowhere to be found.

I've stuck my neck out a few times in the past to try to get people mobilized for good causes. At first, people were gung-ho...but when it was soon discovered a little effort was involved.....they just figured someone else would do it and walked away.

I don't have the answers.

I've been involved in politics for the last 27 years and one sad fact is evident....people are apathetic.

And it's not just our hobby that has struggles. Astronomers have issues with light pollution and fight it vigorously...but they aren't much further ahead now than they were 20 years ago. A few small victories..... But....they don't have the opposing forces we do..archeologist's, parks departments, reckless md'ers......all working against us.

I've seen spirited discussions on the forums, gung-ho, teed-off people. But that's all it is...talk.

Whatever the answer...it's going to take time, resources and money.

I can't bad mouth FMDAC...but where have they been with all the recent bans...from an organization that takes hobbist's money and claim to have their best interest at heart? Eerily quiet.

I am going to look a little more closely at their web site......maybe they need a wake-up call.

Al

And MD Dog......there are aliens.... :blob10:

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device

Remember....We are just some idiot digging holes in the park looking for loose change! :'( How do you get over that? ;D

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

MetalheadFlorida said:
Remember....We are just some idiot digging holes in the park looking for loose change! :'( How do you get over that? ;D

By pointing out were more like a million idiots who fill our holes and don't do any damage but actually help.

And Al, I'll believe when I'm abducted and had some sort of heinous Medical/Sexual experimentation done on me. But until then...... ;D :D :wink:

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

And yet even though we are at least a million strong nowadays, there is still as Al pointed out a big lack of people interested in doing anything outside the normal daily routine. Still waiting for someone else to step up to the plate for them. I'm thinking I better take up another Hobby /Sport. Because as is the case in just about everything, no vote, is a "no" vote. Those who won't lift a finger to support their own hobby are going to get what they deserve, unfortunately so will the rest of us. In the mean time, I will do my best to research and see which Manufacturers and publications are actually doing any thing to help preserve our hobby. Then I'll sing their praises everywhere I can, online and let everyone know who they should patronize.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well.....just checked out the FMDAC's web site......how sad...

I checked their legislative forum and it's so awfully pathetic the responses they don't have. Even the states having the problems...no one is talking to the FMDAC.

I checked my state to see how many clubs and individuals had affiliation with the FMDAC......less than 150 people...half a dozen clubs. And how many people metal detect in Pa.? There's probably 50 in a 20 mile radius of me. Pennsylvania is a pretty big state...at least I think it is.

I'll raise my hand and admit my apathy. This is only the second time I've looked at their site. Maybe we're overlooking a tool. :icon_scratch:

Al

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

I too checked out their site recently Al, and it was my take that just like here at T-Net they are plagued with infighting and no real leadership. Honestly I think our hobby is doomed simply from the lack of interest on the part of it's participants. Apathy is the game and we are willing participants to our own demise.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Slightly off the radar hobbies are a good thing imo. Bringing in the big boys would be a mistake, only a matter of time before they would fubar the whole deal.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

I already wear arch supports, support strapps and such and now you think that I should demand this stuff from some one whom don't give a hoot about anyone except themselves.

What kind of demands are we talking about? Who's deaf ear are we suppose to be gripping in? What kind of results are we looking for? Where were you grippers when I had an agenda to fight for and lost.

Boy that felt good to get that off my hairy old chest.

I'm not really about gripping about things. I'm all about educating people about my hobby and not stepping on your toes about your hobby if you let me have mine in peace and quiet.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

stoney56 said:
Why can't the manufacturer's put into the box an FMDAC application along with the warranty card? Or pledge a couple dollars of each sale towards the FMDAC or another similar organization?

http://www.fmdac.org/
I would donate to the FMDAC if they were a true spokes person for the hobby. They like money from our clubs out west then holds all their hunts east of the rockies.

Your money would be better served to educate local people on how we really clean up all the trash that we find with our detectors.

If I'm stuffy about this, let me know. I like being right and I will take a sinus pill for the stuffiness.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Seamuss said:
I already wear arch supports, support strapps and such and now you think that I should demand this stuff from some one whom don't give a hoot about anyone except themselves.

What kind of demands are we talking about? Who's deaf ear are we suppose to be gripping in? What kind of results are we looking for? Where were you grippers when I had an agenda to fight for and lost.

Boy that felt good to get that off my hairy old chest.

I'm not really about gripping about things. I'm all about educating people about my hobby and not stepping on your toes about your hobby if you let me have mine in peace and quiet.

And what agenda was that?

We're not gripping....we just want you to have your hobby in peace and quiet. In case you haven't noticed....laws, laws and more laws are stopping "Your" hobby. You won't have it to enjoy once someone around you decides your parks got too many holes from some disrespectful idiot or some historic society decides those things you are digging up belong to every future generation so you best leave em be.

State gamelands here are off limits to detecting....ten's of thousands of acres of woods and forest. Run by a state agency, it has become nothing but a dues paying, private hunting club. It WAS public land, claims to still be. But enjoy it, only if you are a hunter.

So...educate them on the hobby and see how far you get.

Good to get that off my patriotic hairy old chest. Sheese...some people :BangHead: Think you missed your dose of Geratol.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread