Q for you allergy sufferers

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Clearing up a few points that may not be widely known...

When an antihistamine has "-D" after it (ie Zyrtec-D), it only means that a decongestant has been added, usually sudafed. Sudafed can only be bought behind the counter for the last several years because of it's use in making meth. It may be cheaper to buy the sudafed and the antihistamine separately. I don't buy the ones with sudafed added because sudafed makes me shaky and feel light headed.

Suphedrine was mentioned, it is also a decongestant like sudafed, but not as effective for most people. It is not behind the counter because even though it is related to sudafed, it is slightly different different. They call it a mirror molecule. It has exactly the same chemical elements, but is put together differently. Just like when you look in the mirror and if you are right handed you appear left handed. They even name the molecules left and right handed.

Benadryl(diphenhydramine is the generic) is the most effective in general, but is also the main ingredient in many sleeping pills for a good reason.

Allegra, Zyrtec, and others aren't as prone to making you drowsy, but again they are less effective. They also are most effective after days or even a week or more of constant use, so don't give up too quickly.

Many people like the prescription's like Allegra, but Zyrtec works better for me(there is a generic). The prescription nasal sprays are popular, and I have tried them, but they are not for me for a variety of reasons.

As was mentioned, trial and error. No two people react the same to medications or combinations of medications.

Zyrtec is my favorite because it is also pretty effective on food allergies, and I am blessed with food allergies worse than my hayfever. Even on Zyrtec a normal piece of beef jerky will guarantee several open sores under my tongue within 24 hours. Trust me, they are not pleasant. Avoiding MSG, which is why beef jerky kills me, helps a lot. Pepperoni is a killer also. Just throwing these in as things to look out for if you are sensitive to food allergies.

I am not a doctor or pharmacist, and nothing in this infomercial is meant to treat or cure any disease... ;D

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Wow, learned a lot here. Lately I have just been putting up with the sneezing, watering eyes, and running nose while MD'ing. One good thing is people tend to stay away when they hear you sneezing and see all the "stuff" running out of your nose! ;D Anyway, It might be worth it to try a couple of the suggestions out just so I don't have to clean the screen of my detector after each sneeze! ;D

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Quote:Suphedrine was mentioned, it is also a decongestant like sudafed, but not as effective for most people. It is not behind the counter because even though it is related to sudafed, it is slightly different different. They call it a mirror molecule. It has exactly the same chemical elements, but is put together differently. Just like when you look in the mirror and if you are right handed you appear left handed. They even name the molecules left and right handed.

My son and I have been using this WalMart brand for about 5yrs now because it works for us where the others(sudafed,benedryl,etc) did not.For the last two yrs,it has been sold behind the counter also.We take two pills at a time and within 20 min,we are opened up completely.This is just our experience,but we have suggested it to a few others and they had the same results.It may be due to our area of the country except for my son who is an over-the-road trucker,so he encounters many areas and still gets the same results.Use what works for you is the best advise.

S

stefen

Monty said:
I am allergic to those darn floral pear tree blossoms that everyone has in their yards now. The only thing that helps me is a steriod shot or course of tablets. It's the one where you start out with six tablets the first day, then five . then 4, etc. I have to do it in the fall and again in the spring. I have the Netty Pot and it helps aching sinuses a lot, but it won't cure allergies. Just temporary relief for me. Be sure and don't use just plain water or it will burn like fire! I forgot to put the saline mixture in once and found out the hard way! Montys

I took steriods also and the side effects were punishing...started munching on alfalfa and counting with my hooves...

And all those mares and not enough days :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread