deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Missed a terrific day to Md because I got hit bad with an allergy attack.

Never was one to let something stop me, but this was just totally debilitating. Nose won't stop running, eyes constantly watering, head pounding, throat raspy...if I bend over it's like being hit with a sledge hammer.

I moved here a year ago and wouldn't have thought city living would get me...but the trees around here are flowering and just punishing me beyond tolerance.

I tried benedryl...nothing.
I bought some alevert....nothing...

Anyone got any kind of sure fire recipe...that doesn't include tea...(makes me gag) to alleviate this misery? Surely don't want to spend a beautiful 73 degree, sunny day looking out my window again.

Al

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Al,

Sometimes taking an anti-histimine an hour or so BEFORE you go outside helps.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Hate to hear about the allergy issues! I myself am not to affected, but wife and one son have them bad.

If OTC meds aren't doing it for you it may be time to get on a prescription allergy med. Sometimes all it takes is moving to a different location to trigger the sinus monsters.

GL,

Grip

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DrGrip said:
Hate to hear about the allergy issues! I myself am not to affected, but wife and one son have them bad.

If OTC meds aren't doing it for you it may be time to get on a prescription allergy med. Sometimes all it takes is moving to a different location to trigger the sinus monsters.

GL,

Grip

I definately agree with the moving thing. I lived in the country for years and never suffered like this.

Thanks,
Al

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Hi, I'm Jim, and I suffer from seasonal allergies.

I HAVE to take a strong medicine, and try to stay ahead of the curve if I know I am going to be outside by taking the meds well in advance, and staying medicated throughout.

Allegra - requires prescription - by far the best I've ever used to help me with allergies.

Zyrtec - Best OTC available (Zyrtec-D is better with extream antihistamine, it's behind the counter but still no script needed - they just track who buys it because it's used in illegal drug making).

In all my life I never found another drug that makes going outside a reality during allergy attacks. If not for those listed I'd have to live in an air conditioned room all summer - like the Bubble Boy. LMAO :tard: These meds allowed me to throw hay bales and be around hay dust like it did'nt matter... they really help!

The ONLY other thing that has worked well, and VERY well is a shot of steroids from the doctor - the Kenalog Shots were a miracle, lasted three months each time, but are not recommended because of some side effects. This is something you might do as a last resort depending on your doctor's advice.

Good luck... I feel for ya'.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
We have tried many.The one that really works for me is a WalMart brand(Equate) and very cheap.It's Suphedrine(not sudafed).You have to ask for it at the counter but is not a prescription.My son takes it because he is a truck driver and it does not cause drowsiness.Take two tablets and in about 15min,you're clear.Goodluck.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Yea, I can help you. You need to get one of those "nettie pots" and use a homemade saline solution. 1/4 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of warm water..might want to make it hot first to let the salt dissolve and then cool it down to a safe temp for your membranes.
You can also buy glass dropper to use. Irrigate your sinuses and using a sterile eye cup or sterile hands use the solution to wash out your eyes. I cup my hands and fill them with the saline solution and pump the water into my eyes an get it all around good up in the sides etc.

Since you are a severe sufferer I would irrigate the nasal passages, eyes and gargle with the saline daily. Don't swallow a bunch of it or your body will get too much salt.

For that throbbing migraine....if you are not allergic to marigold flower, there is a product called "Feverfew". The best one is made by "Natures Way" and comes in capsule form. You get about 100 capsules for $11 bucks at the health food store. Be sure to read the ingredient label to make sure there isn't any other ingredients in it.

Take one either before symptoms appear or early on. If not enough relief in 20 minutes then take another. Stay home the first time you use it. It made me a little dizzy the first few times, but them my body got adjusted to it.

That throbbing is caused by the effects on your blood vessels. Some are over-constricting and some are over-dilating. The Feverfew helps to normalize the blood vessels back to their regular size.

Hope this helps !

itmaiden

deepskyal said:
Missed a terrific day to Md because I got hit bad with an allergy attack.

Never was one to let something stop me, but this was just totally debilitating. Nose won't stop running, eyes constantly watering, head pounding, throat raspy...if I bend over it's like being hit with a sledge hammer.

I moved here a year ago and wouldn't have thought city living would get me...but the trees around here are flowering and just punishing me beyond tolerance.

I tried benedryl...nothing.
I bought some alevert....nothing...

Anyone got any kind of sure fire recipe...that doesn't include tea...(makes me gag) to alleviate this misery? Surely don't want to spend a beautiful 73 degree, sunny day looking out my window again.

Al

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep
I feel for you too. Seems like this time of year gets to me pretty good too. About the only thing I have found to help me is Zyrtec. It is a bit pricey but it does help me.

Now, here is one more thing you can try...AFRIN...nasal spray.. But a word of advice, don't use it over 2 or 3 days at a time or you will become addicted to the sweet smell of clear nostrils..lol I was hooked for about a year..then kicked the habit...I still use it on special occasions but don't over do it.

GL

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of medicine available . Unfortunately we have to try, sometimes, a bunch before we find one that works. Alas, if all fails you will have to see the old sawbones.

dimeaday

Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
quattro--EXII--Ace 250
saline irragation kit, avail at wal-mart for about 10$. easier to use than the neti pot. This seemed to help me more than any medication, including several prescription drugs. Use to make semi annual trips to the dr, have'nt been in 2 yrs.. Probably does not work for everyone but its not a costly experiment..dl il

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I got a swelled lifnode on the back of my neck i ask my family Doctor he said " well it doesn't really look like anything" he felt it.
I also get these yellow balls that are stuck on the side of my tinsels that come out. :tard:
I told you guys about my trouble breathing, its my nose i found out it get closed and i have to breath thro my mouth to relieve it.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Do yourself a favor and go to an Allergy Dr to find out What you are allergic to.
They can either prescribe pills or mail you a solution to periodicaly inject. I did
this for my wife and although it was hard the first time I eventually looked
forward to playing doctor. It takes awhile to build up the resistance but in time
you can enjoy nature again.
I had severe rhinitis for 30+ years and missed work at least once a month.
Since I moved to a rural setting I used OTC until 5 years ago when in my
advanced years the symptoms finally quit.

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Al,

The tree pollen in our area has been really high this past week, it is also high for today too. Daughter has to check pollen forcast for trees, weeds and grass daily especially in spring and fall. Hubby and kids take prescription Allegra 180 mg for the allergies, and prescription Sudafed 60 mg for nasal. You cannot get this high of dosage using OTC allergy medicines.

If you get allergy testing done, don't go to Dr. L in Tarentum. He will find that you will be allergic to everything under the sun and he will want you to take several prescription meds daily and shots weekly. Call me if you want to hear the whole story and the list of allergies he said hubby was allergic too.

I will send PM.

Sue

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for the ideas.
Don't seem so bad today...but havent even opened the front door today. Took a double dose of the allegra..heck...11 bucks...might as well get my moneys worth.

Sinus still draining so this isnt one I'd recommend.

I like the Feverfew idea....I'm a believer in natural remedies if possible.

Suppose to rain the next few days...maybe knock some of the pollen out of the air.

Dang Jim....I feel sorry for you if you've been putting up with this for years...or anyone that does for that matter. I've had slight issues in the past...never like this.
But I just remembered driving down the streets here the other day and block after block of trees....all flowering right now....and my car windows open enjoying the smell......aaarrrrggghhhh!!!

A/C next time you can bet.

Al

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a bit of an herbalist. I make up capsules of ginger powder and chamomile(dried) equal parts. I researched a lot of herbs before coming up with that and it seems to do a pretty good job....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am allergic to those darn floral pear tree blossoms that everyone has in their yards now. The only thing that helps me is a steriod shot or course of tablets. It's the one where you start out with six tablets the first day, then five . then 4, etc. I have to do it in the fall and again in the spring. I have the Netty Pot and it helps aching sinuses a lot, but it won't cure allergies. Just temporary relief for me. Be sure and don't use just plain water or it will burn like fire! I forgot to put the saline mixture in once and found out the hard way! Montys

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I live 75 mi south of you and have for over 50 years . You are in the northern fringe of an area over 200 miles in diameter that has the highest incidence of respiratory distress in the US . I have suffered all my life .
Currently ; Fexofenidine , Singulair , Astelin nasal spray 2 times a day , and off the shelf saline nasal spray as often as 8 times a day are giving me some releif .
Good luck . Gaping for breath we know how a fish out of water feels .

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what works for me is bees honey from the area you are from heath food stores handle the actual honey comb which you can chew on while your out in the field. Some how the bees make a great source for the cure try it its cheap jm

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
onfire said:
what works for me is bees honey from the area you are from heath food stores handle the actual honey comb which you can chew on while your out in the field. Some how the bees make a great source for the cure try it its cheap jm

I have heard that before... never gave it a serious try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread