Pin Point devices

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
I've heard about pin point devices for a long time but never really thought they would be of much help. Boy was I wrong!

I saw on here where someone was talking about the hand held metal detector that Harbor freight sells for $14.99 and figured for that price it couldn't hurt to see what all of the hype about pin pointers was.

I went to the Harbor Freight here in town and picked one up before I went to hunt the chips at a local park on Saturday. After buying it I opened it up in the truck, stuck the battery in it and tried it out. Sounded loud for sure, detected all coins at a distance of about 1-3 inches, and it picked up my wedding band. So far so good, but lets see how it is around dirt and wet chips.

I got to the park and got a hit after about 3 or 4 minutes. The detector showed zinc @ 4" so I swept the top of the ground with the pointer, nothing heard. I dug down about 2 inches and tried again, nothing. I continued to dig another inch or so and then stuck it in the hole again, it let out the beep and I found that when I moved it from one side of the hole to the other the beep would stop. I experimented a bit more and was able to see exactly where the penny was and plucked it out of the hole.

A few digs later I could NOT find what was showing as a quarter I dug and dug and couldn't find the sucker. I remembered the pointer and stuck its nose in the hole and realized that the clod I kept moving out of my way was giving me the signal. The same clod I THOUGHT I had inspected once before.

Each dig after that I used it and I'm certain it decreased my recovery time by a lot!

This thing works pretty well and it''ll be in my vest from this point on.

The only thing I don't like about it is the size of the case. I'm going to see if I can mod it a bit to make it more "ergonomic".

Grip

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I've got one, and won't go digging without it. It saves a heck of a lot of time trying to narrow down small targets.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Would this be the littel sucker in question? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

That's exactly like what I'm looking for at that price too!! Only reason I don't have a "regular" pinpointer that a lot of people here talk about is quite simply because of the price. Man, I've seen those things go as high as couple hundred bucks and nothing cheaper.

Harbor Freight appears to be an American store (I can tell because they spelt "Harbour" wrong ;D ) so I'll try to look for something like that a Canadian Home Depot, Lowe's, Home Hardware etc.

Unless anyone knows of something off the top of their head??

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
That's the critter Trout!

Hmm, American owned, but Chinese supplied! This is like a lot of the other Chinese stuff out there; not real well constructed, but for the $$$ it seems to do fine. I plan to get another since I'll probably break this one at some point. I won't break it because it isn't built well, I'll break it using it for something it isn't designed to do...

Grip

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can order it on the Harbor Freight website. I am on my second one and when I don't have it with me I waste a ton of time trying to find the coins in the hole. Worth every penny.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
baylorhall said:
You can order it on the Harbor Freight website. I am on my second one and when I don't have it with me I waste a ton of time trying to find the coins in the hole. Worth every penny.

Never thought of that as I almost never purchase anything online. Hopefully they ship to Canada. Thanks, will check it out!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Check my Little Wizard II, Trout. 20 bucks and it's also good for it. Lots of folks don't want these low-rnd machines because they don't see a target 2 or three inches away. Well if you know where your target is to begin with from your MD, you should not end up 2 or 3 inches away by the time you get to using your PP. You should always know where in the hole you wanna go before pulling out your PP.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought three of those little harbor freight pinpointers and used one of them for three months and it quit working, so I pitched it and fired up another. They are expendable. One of those 150 to 200 dollar ones go belly up you are in for a hassle even if it is warranted. I don't know this for a fact but I'd almost bet that if I sent the broke one in to Harbor freight they'd replace it. Monty

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CanadianTrout said:
Would this be the littel sucker in question? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

That's exactly like what I'm looking for at that price too!! Only reason I don't have a "regular" pinpointer that a lot of people here talk about is quite simply because of the price. Man, I've seen those things go as high as couple hundred bucks and nothing cheaper.

Harbor Freight appears to be an American store (I can tell because they spelt "Harbour" wrong ;D ) so I'll try to look for something like that a Canadian Home Depot, Lowe's, Home Hardware etc.

Unless anyone knows of something off the top of their head??

Won't they ship this to Canada? If not I could get you one and ship it up to you no charge for my trouble? I ship a lot for Ebay and would not mind. Just PM me if you want my help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions