expensive cordless phones

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
Isn't that awfully high? There are plenty of much less expensive wireless headphones, right down to under $20. This is an example of an iLuv Bluetooth unit that goes for $126 on eBay. There are far less expensive non-Bluetooth setups, too. You can get whatever adapters you need at Radio Shack. Might have to use two different adapters together to split the mono output of the MD to the stereo input of the transmitter.
JV-I-903.jpg

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I remember that also, believe they were "airheadz" or something like that....John

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Thanks for the replies. They are waaaayyyy too expensive. I think I'll go for the Airheadz

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Airheadz are expensive....in the $300+ range. I use the $60 Radio Shack, #33-1253. Mine lasted a little over 2 years, averages $30 a year. Better still if you can get them on sale which does happen once in a while, their sale usually starts on Sundays. HH

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
They are, indeed, called 'Airheadz'. www.airheadzwireless.com or www.detect4gold.com . They are, indeed, expensive. I paid $349 for mine and they are not getting them back....I like them!!

Even though they are 'bluetooth' based there is absolutely no time-lag when a target is picked up (death for a detector) as with other 'bluetooth' headphones. They are also guaranteed NOT to pick up FM radio as with other bluetooth headphones. The tiny transmitter/reciever are dedicated and will not pick up anything transmitted in proximity. So far, they have worked as advertised. They are designed by a detectorist/elec. engineer and made SPECIFICALLY for metal detectors.

I have Predators, Koss (2 models), Compass and DepthMaster Superphone. The Airheads are, by far, the most quiet to external noise, totally enclosing the ear, super comfortable and 'white-noise' free.

I would not have purchased these (sticker-shock) but my wife said she would buy them for my upcoming birthday. I'm glad she did. they are sweet.

Bud

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
BudP , How did you get in touch with them, I've tried calling, and Emailing, and no results. I"ve never seen a company so hard to contact. I used the numbers you posted.

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
I've got a pair of Airheadz also and LOVE 'EM!!!

As far as the wireless feature, I'm still undecided. I've done many, many test to see if there is any lag with deep targets and compared the signal with using both wireless and the optional wired cord for the Airheadz and cannot pick up any lag at all with wireless. For some reason though, I just always feel more confident with the corded set up. I do get crackling with the wireless every so often and occasionally when I set my detector down and a few feet away while digging a signal.

As for comfort, I have the behind the head set up and paid for the optional "gel" ear pads and feel they are the most comfortable headsets on earth! Overall quality with the headset is of course THE BEST out there!

The one improvement in the system I'd like to see is a better quality receiver/transmitter setup. They seem pretty low quality but do get the job done.

I ended up paying WAY more than I wanted since I got every option you can get, but I had the money to burn at the time and wanted the best. Don't regret it one bit! :wink:

BTW, I had no problem getting in contact with them and the woman I talked to was very helpful answering questions. Very easy transaction and quick shipping. ;D

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Hey Barber,

The gal, who seems to be running the sales, is currently following the GPAA Gold Shows around the country. Her name is Stacey Jentzsch, phone 541-878-4653. I don't know if this is a cell or land line. If a cell, she may be carriying it.

I tried, in vain, for a month to contact Airheadz and finally caught them at the fairgrounds in Salem, OR. I also bought ALL the available accessories. They have a shop in a little town called 'Shady Cove', N.E. of Medford. I am guessing the "company' is very small with no one to man the phones. I griped to Stacey, when I met her at the gold show, about the lack of communication. There should be a message on the phone stating the 'road-trip' scenario.

Hope the phone number helps.

Bud

P.S. So far,.......I have no 'crackling' or white noise that Weasel Loader speaks of above. Hey Weasel, How long have you used your phones before needing a charge? I haven't taken them to their, advertised, limit of eight hours before charging. Mine will. for sure, last for six hours. I guess my old body won't outlast the charge.

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
I have always charged both receiver and transmitter the night before and I'm lucky if I can get more than 5 hours before it starts beeping at me for low charge. The last few times out, I have used the corded method, but will go back to using the wireless tomorrow. The wireless is nice to have since I don't have to worry about the cord getting caught in the gear on my belt.

If you do get the headsets with ALL the options, it is a very expensive purchase. I feel that if your serious about your detecting and want the best, then these are it. I'd go so far to say that even without the cordless option, they are worth it. I'm glad I got all the options especially the gel ear pads and long cord. I've only used the car charger once when I remembered on the way to the hunt that I needed to charge the units. :wink:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I see a ad for a high price phone I throw it away....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread