Are you a Treasure Hunter, Metal Detectorist, or ???

What do you consider yourself ??

• Metal Detectorist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Treasure Hunter

• Prospector

• Treasure Historian

• Jack of all Treasure trades

• Battery Waster

• Research and Recovery

• mutilated aluminum can recovery

• Total voters

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
Someone asked me over the weekend what is the best way to describe what I do. He made me think... I do a TON of treasure hunting and I do a bit of metal detecting....But my answer was " I would consider myself a Treasure Historian ". I said this because, I LOVE the stories, and am a avid collector of anything old and about Southern California ( especially old books, manuscripts etc... ). Don't get me wrong, I love to metal detect, but I REALLY love going to the old sites and exploring the area's that the pioneers have lived. To see where they were, and try to examine how they got by, is simply AMAZING to me...Please understand if there is something shiny on the ground it will most likely be in my pocket Grin Grin We have it soooo much better then they did, I mean, there would be no way my big behind would walk or ride from one state to another... I didn't see any memory foam in those saddles !?!? Did you Huh Just imagine if we were able to bring back just one old timer to today. Tell him we are going up to Holcomb Valley and we will be there in about 2 hours. Oh and when we hunt the placer we have a machine that will do it for us... And if you like maybe we will just " fly " there and get there faster...I would love to see the expression on the old goats face ( and make sure he doesn't have any firearms with him ) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way or am I the only one. Or is there another name that you would use for what you do ? If you could please let me know...

Thx
PLL

thist2.jpg

Attachments

• thist2.jpg
    thist2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 371

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not into the "politically correct" way of saying things......a garbageman is still a garbageman to me...not an industrial waste technician.

I become proficient at swinging a metal detector for whatever I look for. I'm an Md'er.

I also like local history...so I am also an amature historian. The two go together nicely, don't they?

Al

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
HISTORICAL RELIC RETRIEVER- LIKE THE DOG BUT WITH A DETECTOR- LOL

I'VE BEEN CALLED A LOT WORST, WE WONT GET INTO THAT

ML

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Wow PLL,
Never thought of putting a name to it. I have 3 gold claims which I found (gold prospector), I still follow old legends of Spanish Mines and look for them (treasure hunter), I use an MD (metal Detector hunter), research old west historical information, love to walk through old ghost towns and think of what was going on when they were thriving with people. The list goes on and on.
I guess Seeker of Historical Knowledge and Artifacts is a good one to cover all of it. I am truely not sure as I really never put a name to what I do. When most people ask I just tell them I am out walking through history and seeing what I can find of the things people have left behind or have forgotten.
Great question and looking forward to other answers..
Minstrel

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleglooker - Are you and I the only ones who have actually voted?????

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
I fit into the same area as you. I don't get out as much as I used to but I detect, gold pa, shell and shark teeth hunt. Fosil hunt, gem hunt. Whatever is available. I could blitz that cash and treasures show on the travel channel. Anyone interested in treasure stories are invited to my hubpage at http://hubpages.com/profile/Treasured+Pasts. I'd love to see you there!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call myself a Treasure Hunter. I hunt for that treasure on land and in the water. It can be big or small.....Matt

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
spritch said:
I fit into the same area as you. I don't get out as much as I used to but I detect, gold pa, shell and shark teeth hunt. Fosil hunt, gem hunt. Whatever is available. I could blitz that cash and treasures show on the travel channel. Anyone interested in treasure stories are invited to my hubpage at http://hubpages.com/profile/Treasured+Pasts. I'd love to see you there!
Just joined your hub--invited some more
Thanks
Minstrel

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
I prefer to be called a "professional fine jewelery and precious stone retrieval and recovery technician" :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Ha! In B.S. to English that translates to " a hole diggin freak lookin for loose change" ::) :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MetalheadFlorida said:
I prefer to be called a "professional fine jewelery and precious stone retrieval and recovery technician" :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Ha! In B.S. to English that translates to " a hole diggin freak lookin for loose change" ::) :icon_jokercolor:

ROFL!!!!!!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Research and recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread