Renaissance wax

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
This is a followup I had to a previous post where I'd referenced using Renaissance wax on a couple of Eagle cuff buttons I recently dug. This stuff was developed by the British Museum for use on artifacts. I use it on my antique guns, and it seems to work fairly well, so I tried it out on the Eagle buttons, and it seemed to bring out a little more detail, as well as left a thin protective coating. Here are before and after pics on a pretty worn 1912-D Wheat.

Before
IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg

After

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps on some of the older, more corroded items, plus it adds a little protection from further deterioration by humidity, pollution and handling.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dcinffxva said:
This is a followup I had to a previous post where I'd referenced using Renaissance wax on a couple of Eagle cuff buttons I recently dug. This stuff was developed by the British Museum for use on artifacts. I use it on my antique guns, and it seems to work fairly well, so I tried it out on the Eagle buttons, and it seemed to bring out a little more detail, as well as left a thin protective coating. Here are before and after pics on a pretty worn 1912-D Wheat.

It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps on some of the older, more corroded items, plus it adds a little protection from further deterioration by humidity, pollution and handling.

Dcinffxva,
I bought the wax upon your recommendation, and it works GREAT! I polished up a recent buckle I found, and also tried it on a 1907 IH. It put a beautiful finish on both. I works best on smooth surfaces.
Thanks,
MM

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
ModernMiner said:
dcinffxva said:

Dcinffxva,
I bought the wax upon your recommendation, and it works GREAT! I polished up a recent buckle I found, and also tried it on a 1907 IH. It put a beautiful finish on both. I works best on smooth surfaces.
Thanks,
MM

Glad to hear it worked out well for ya !

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a jar and have used it for about two years. After I clean my finds I put a coat on. Gives it a nice finish and protects it from oxidation. They should last for many years. I use it on all my good coin and button finds. It says it is good on metal , leather , and wood.

Ed D.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the product tip! I just ordered some.

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I tried it out on a model 1855 bayonet scabbard to see how it worked on 150 year old leather. Seems to have helped it out quite a bit.

Before

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4337.jpg

After

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

S

stefen

Wax should be used in a similar manner as shoe wax for leather...adds to the shine only, but is not a preservative...however, old cracked leather will not benefit...it will continue to dry and crack over time.

Its needs moisture and to be rejuvinated using natural animal oils such as mink oil...and possibly glycerine...old saddelers used to use bear grease and work it into the leather to make it supple and to eliminate saddle squeek...

Saddle soap is a cleaner only and adds moisture temporarily...it too will dry out...

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
The product does state that it is for use on leather, although I did read quite a bit on old leather preservation before I tried it out.

Leather from the mid 1800's is usually dyed with vegetable dye, and many of the modern products will interfere with the old dye. I wasn't so much worried about the leather deteriorating over time, as that will happen pretty much no matter what you do. I just wanted to keep it in the best condition I can for the time being.

It's lasted this long, and as long as it's taken care of, it will last a lot longer than I will ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Wiki articale recommend a layer of conditioner, glycerol, and others if needed before the wax layer. The artical is good. I considerite a good start for learning preservation techniques.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread