How long does it take, really?

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
I found a James Avery silver ring and the pattern looks to have been retired. I sent them a nice e-mail with a picture of the ring asking when it was first made and when it was retired.

The reply I got back was that they want to charge me for the "research labor"!

I doubt I'll pay them for the "research" and I definitely WON'T buy their product now, i'll just find it in the sand and toss it in the treasure box. C'mon, how long could it really take?

Here's the e-mail reply I received.

Thank you for contacting us for information and identification of your jewelry. Due to the high volume of requests from customers to identify discontinued designs, and the labor to research this information in our archives, it has become necessary to charge a research fee for this service. Our fee to research discontinued James Avery jewelry is $12.00 per item, plus any applicable tax, and includes the following:

Name of Item
Meaning or symbolism when applicable
Designer
Year Released
Last Current Price with Date

If you are interested in submitting your request for research and authentication, please email us photo copies of the item(s) with a front and back view that includes our trademark logo. Upon receipt of the photos we will advise you if we are able to identify, and get your approval to proceed with your request.

Sincerely,

Maria Jefferson

Customer Service

Great customer service IMO!!!

Grip

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is ridiculous! If it isn't on their website, you might do a search on eBay and see if you can find it there. Let you wife enjoy it. :)

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Now that is some good ole fashioned customer service.................. :tard: There are very few companies that give good competant customer service anymore! :'( I must say, when I called into Whites the other day that I got an actual voice ( human being ) on the phone who personally helped me solve a problem without being transferred and put on hold. Nor did I have to speak to 3 different people! I will stick with Whites like glue as long as they keep this great long lost customer service up! :thumbsup:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine that 99% of the company's employees know nothing about previous designs. They would have to go and research them. Why should a company, in a very poor economy, hire several extra employees for the sheer sake of helping you ID a pattern that they no longer make?

The whole world is at your fingertips... Research it yourself.

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
bscofield6 said:
I would imagine that 99% of the company's employees know nothing about previous designs. They would have to go and research them. Why should a company, in a very poor economy, hire several extra employees for the sheer sake of helping you ID a pattern that they no longer make?

The whole world is at your fingertips... Research it yourself.

Alas, I'm not one of the lazy factoid that sits back and asks others to do my pittance for me... I did in fact look, and even went to the JA web site and went out to Epay too!

JA had nothing to offer, and Ebay ideas were all over the board.

JA is NOT so large as to need to charge for this IMO...

Grip

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
Montana Jim said:
Twelve bucks seems pretty reasonable to me.

For a $300.00+ piece of jewelry, sure, for a $30.00 sterling ring, not so much.

I have e-mailed Zale's in the past and asked about their name line of jewelry and gotten a very nice response with MORE info than I asked for and it cost nada (wife wears that one too). James Avery has NOT made enough unique sterling jewelry to warrant this reply.

Again, all of this is my opinion, others may vary... The wife loves the ring on her pinky...

Grip

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
DrGrip said:
Montana Jim said:
Twelve bucks seems pretty reasonable to me.

For a $300.00+ piece of jewelry, sure, for a $30.00 sterling ring, not so much.

I have e-mailed Zale's in the past and asked about their name line of jewelry and gotten a very nice response with MORE info than I asked for and it cost nada (wife wears that one too). James Avery has NOT made enough unique sterling jewelry to warrant this reply.

Again, all of this is my opinion, others may vary... The wife loves the ring on her pinky...

Grip

Fair enough.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to defend the company... but James Avery is a relatively small company, considerably so compared to marketing giants such as Zales.
Not sure why someone would need to charge for something like that, but I guess they feel the money is worth their time.
Time is money (in most cases) after all... especially in this economy.

Bran <><

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I seem to remember this "dogwood" pattern from my high school days (mid '90s). James Avery is a Christian company, and the dogwood is a symbol of the crucifixion. (http://www.wyrdology.com/festivals/easter/dogwood.html)

Keep an eye on this identical 14K one: http://cgi.ebay.com/RETIRED-JAMES-A...yZ110447QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A sterling silver one sold on eBay for $32 with 6 bids. The dogwood pendants have closed at a little more (probably because they have a broader appeal since they aren't a specific size) at $50-$60. There is a JA silver dogwood ring (looks heavier than yours) at an asking price of $139, but that seems high to me, in light of completed auctions. That said, ya never know.

Current JA silver rings of similar size sell for $40-$80.

Hope that helps.

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
Garrett metal detectors is one texas company that goes the extra mile.i have never dealt with a company that has such great service with any company.

Daddio53

Apr 5, 2008
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Tesoro Lobo, Tesoro Golden microMax
It's not really that ridiculous nor is it wrong. I retired from the Post Office. I don't think people can imagine how long it takes to look things up like when did so and so move or where did they move to. Do you know what it takes to find something like that out? Do you realize that you are taking labor from one place and expecting them to put it at your disposal? If an employee makes $20 an hour then you realize that the 15 minutes you expect them to take costs them $5 of lost labor. What if a thousand people a month expect the same thing? What company has $5,000 to throw away in this economy? When you look at things in this light I hope you can understand why they don't drop everything because you ask them to.

B

BIG61AL

In this economy you would think they would help you out within reason and send you a brochure to entice a sale. Can any company afford to let slip away a potential sale? you should write and remind them that you did not care for their customer service and will remember where NOT to shop for jewelry.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
Is there a reason why you didnt post a pic of of it here??? Chances are someone could help you out :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread