New Headphones - What a difference...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last weekend I purchased a set of Detector Pro headphones to replace the KOSS headphones I got with my DFX. What a difference on the targets I can hear. Now I'm wondering what I've been missing for the last three years with the old headphones.

I have a nice hunt planned for Sunday after church (weather permitting) to really give them a go in the field. So far a few short hunts produced a handful of Wheaties and Indian Heads. I have a three week drought on silver coins going so I hope to put that to an end.

Can't wait for Sunday?

NJ

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I switched to Sunray Pro Golds and couldn't believe how much more I could hear!

They were down for a few days and I felt like I was hunting without my right arm!

Good Luck,
mark

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like my Grayghost from Detector pro

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
I switched to Killer B's.

I then got a set of Gray Ghost for back-up.

That's because I do not want be without
quality headphones.

If one goes out, I don't want to be without.

I would rather hunt without a digger than
to hunt with cheep headphones like Koss.

Happy Huntin,

tabdog

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I switched from stock headphones to Detector pro's Black Widows. Wow what I can hear now is aw some !!!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
extractor said:
I switched from stock headphones to Detector pro's Black Widows. Wow what I can hear now is aw some !!!

That is what I got...the Black Widows. I can wait to give them a go for a few hours on Sunday. So far I've only had two short 40 minute hunts but the coins were popping out. I just hope all the rain is gone by Sunday.

NJ

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I use very cheap headphones ($3 from Big Lots) and I've wondered if there is really any need for me to upgrade. First of all, I think that it really depends on what type of detector you have. I have a cheap two-tone type so I'm not looking for great dynamic range. In fact, I've tested the cheap headphones against a much nicer pair and I prefer the cheap ones. The reason is because the cheap ones distort the low end tones making them more pronounced. So to me I can hear the difference between the low and high sounds better with the cheap phones (especially when the detector is playing both tones at the same time for certain types of targets). Also, I don't like wearing the full phones that cover my entire ears. I guess I'm just worried about people sneaking up on me and scaring the hell out of me. This is obviously a personal preference and I know that I am probably missing out on some very quiet tones by not blocking out noise. The more I hunt (and the more I DON'T find) the more I will probably end up wanting to change to full head phones.

So as usual it seems to me like the answer is "it depends". If you have a basic one or two-tone detector you don't really need the full dynamic range capability. But unless you are willing to wear the full headphone to completely block out noise and pick up the smallest of signals, then it probably doesn't make much sense to get really nice headphones.

Thoughts?

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008
jb7487 said:
I use very cheap headphones ($3 from Big Lots) and I've wondered if there is really any need for me to upgrade. First of all, I think that it really depends on what type of detector you have. I have a cheap two-tone type so I'm not looking for great dynamic range. In fact, I've tested the cheap headphones against a much nicer pair and I prefer the cheap ones. The reason is because the cheap ones distort the low end tones making them more pronounced. So to me I can hear the difference between the low and high sounds better with the cheap phones (especially when the detector is playing both tones at the same time for certain types of targets). Also, I don't like wearing the full phones that cover my entire ears. I guess I'm just worried about people sneaking up on me and scaring the hell out of me. This is obviously a personal preference and I know that I am probably missing out on some very quiet tones by not blocking out noise. The more I hunt (and the more I DON'T find) the more I will probably end up wanting to change to full head phones.

So as usual it seems to me like the answer is "it depends". If you have a basic one or two-tone detector you don't really need the full dynamic range capability. But unless you are willing to wear the full headphone to completely block out noise and pick up the smallest of signals, then it probably doesn't make much sense to get really nice headphones.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are if you are happy with cheap headphones and they work for you then go with it. Like most people I started with cheap headphones and then I got a deal and moved up. For me quality detecting headphones make a significant difference that I wasn't aware of until I upgraded.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff741972 said:
How do they compare comfort wise? Not that the koss ones are very comfortable.

It was raining yesterday so I did not get out with the detector and the new headphones.

As far as comfort goes on the short hunts they were fine. I will have to wait until next week if the weather clears up to let you know how they are on long hunts. Although I think they will be fine.

NJ

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Koss headphones Have a life time warranty , :icon_study: check there website for details . , FYI: I own 2 pair of Koss headphones and they work great ! They are not the stock ones that I refer to in the earlier post that I referred to when I switched to the Black Widows.
The Koss are 100 oms . The Black Widows are 150 oms. Different headphones + different detectors = different hunts

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
extractor said:
Koss headphones Have a life time warranty , :icon_study: check there website for details . , FYI: I own 2 pair of Koss headphones and they work great ! They are not the stock ones that I refer to in the earlier post that I referred to when I switched to the Black Widows.
The Koss are 100 oms . The Black Widows are 150 oms. Different headphones + different detectors = different hunts

I have no problem with the KOSS headphones but I do like the Black Widows much more. The lifetime warranty is nice but you do have to pay for shipping both ways. I had to return them once and they sent me a new pair. Now the new pair has wires sticking out of the side so I figured I would buy new headphones before they stop working. I don't want to have to send in for new ones every 1 1/2 years which is about how long they survived for me each time.

Granted I keep my detector in the truck at all times so it gets bounced around and things get placed on top of it. I'm propbably a little tougher on my gear then most.

NJ

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
For those who went from cheap headphones to expensive ones, how much depth increase did you get, & what would be the scientific explanation for hearing deeper? Thanks! HH, George (MN)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
George (MN) said:
For those who went from cheap headphones to expensive ones, how much depth increase did you get, & what would be the scientific explanation for hearing deeper? Thanks! HH, George (MN)
My new phones came with a longer cord. I can attribute that to the extra 3" depth I got out of my detector.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
George (MN) said:

George,
It just like listening to music with good headphones. The signals are clearer, louder and they don't break up as much. So when you swing the coil over a deep target that gives of a very faint signal the good headphones makes it clearer that there is a good target down there. Your detector itself is exactly the same giving out the same information it is just communicated back to the user a little clearer. I hope that helps.
John

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
Since I am not able to do much else right now because of a recent surgery, I spend most of an afternoon a few days ago going through a bunch of headphones and making them usable for my metal detector.
I have collected lots of that stuff in 47 years as an amateur radio operator. None of the headphones I have would be mistaken for any modern "High end" phones of today but a lot of it is Military Spec which isnt shabby either. However all do work well.
Making direct comparisons with about ten of them on the same detector was really interesting. No two sets sounded the same. and the very best sounding was a very old set from the 1920's. (2000 Ohm) Uncomfortable to wear but sound great. Some of the real cheapies sound great as well. You never know until you try them.

Jerry

R AND R

Jan 25, 2009
Menominee, MI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Sidewinder,Stingray 2, Bandito Classic, 1265X w/ Hot Head 12, BHID 9.5 coil and Garrett ACE 2fiddy!
I been using the GG's for about 15 years now, (yes they are still working!) only thing is they fit so snug if you wear a touke - stocking cap and sunglasses they pinch your ears a bit. Down in alabama they are a bit hot in july, but here in the U.P. of MI they are wonderful in the cold!

I would never use the cheapy ones again. I guess I'm spoiled! Some of the GG's have single vol controls, some have dual, some even have a limiter (deep woods mdl) Vol control is important if you've ever turned on a Tesoro with the headphones on you know, also it's handy on the Ace 250 cause it's loud too. Tough and backed by 100% Warr. I can't say enough good things about them.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry-Wi said:
Since I am not able to do much else right now bacause of a recent surgery, I spend most of an afternoon a few days ago going through a bunch of headphones and making them usable for my metal detector.
I have collected lots of that stuff in 47 years as an amateur radio operator. None of the headphones I have would be mistaken for any modern "High end" phones of today but a lot of it is Military Spec which isnt shappy either. However all do work well.
Making direct comparisons with about ten of them on the same detector was really interesting. No two sets sounded the same. and the very best sounding was a very old set from the 1920's. (2000 Ohm) Uncomfortable to wear but sound great. Some of the real cheapies sound great as well. You never know until you try them.

Jerry

Hokey Smokes Batman! With that kind of impedance, those phones are the boss hosses. Perhaps you could put a little effort into putting the earphone elements into a cushy Koss housing. The only problem area might be in impedance matching those headphones with the output circuitry of your detector. 2000 ohms resistance might cause the output amps of your detector to "overdrive" and burn out.
The guy who builds the RATphones that I use, builds them to match the outputs of each MD manufacturer and I wouldn't give them up for anything. Plus, the earcups are mounted with a slight, vertical offset that makes them pivot in at the bottom (as you're wearing them) and makes a seal all of the way around your ears. They are the first headphones I've ever owned that form that seal completely around my ear. And that includes military headphones, too. He uses mil spec materials throughout his units.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread