Which metal detector "loves" coins?

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Which metal detector "loves" coins?

Hi I read in an a post one time that there is a metal detector that seems to "love" coins. It might of been a fisher edge or a BH, I forgot. But the poster said that his metal detector had a certain preference for coins. His detector really went off on coins, and not so much on all the junk. I think it was an older model. There may be a lot of different opinions about this, and this is OK. But here's a caveat: Can it notch out pennies? HH, Kevin :icon_jokercolor:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Which metal detector "loves" coins?

Gosh. A White's M-6, Fisher Coin Strike, CZ-7a (you may still be able to fine these "new") or F75, Teknetics T-2, most of the Tesoros, probably the Minelabs and Garretts.

Coin shooting is what the detectors that are not cache or nugget specific are kind of designed to do.

You really can't notch out pre'82 cents with the F75. Not sure about the others. Discrimination only goes to 65 and the alloy of the older cents puts them around 70, but then dimes are at 71 so it's pretty close and you may lose some dimes by skipping cents. The post'82 zinc crap cents read 58 or so.

I prefer to not worry about notches or much discrimination and rely on the digital display to decide what I dig.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:stop:Always dig the pennies, because they hide other the stuff :icon_pirat:

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008

Indian Head pennies often hit like zinc pennies. I always dig zinc range targets.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the ace 250 can notch out zinc cents by cutting out the cent icon * but in doing so you also will also "notch" out indian head cents as well due to their similar "metal conductivity signature"---- note pre 82 "copper" cents and clad dimes also share a very similar "metal conductivity signature"

note --- to kill "all cents " with the ace 250 means you got to chop out the following --the cent icon and the dime icon -- thus losing clad / silver dimes -- all cents -- current to 83 zincs, 82 to 1909 mem and wheats. and all indian heads as well --

with the ace 250 --tiny gold can come in as"foil"(I had a paper thin kiddie 10 k mexico riing up exactly that way) --small rings (womens) as tabs -- and bigger rings (mens) as nickles --- notch these lose those .

in tot lot areas and places I do not expect 1909 indain cents to be at, I often turn off the zinc cent "cent "icon --in older areas where indain cents might be I leave it in and suffer with zinc cents .

if in a areas likely to have jewelry / old gold money ---the foil,tab and nickle are in -- if not I only leave in the nickle .

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

extractor said:
I like to leave a few things for other MD'rs. Especially pennies and also those "iiffy" signals.

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

Hi Charlie. With my Whites M-6, it can never really tell whether it is a dime or a penny. The display will read: "penny-dime". And the target ID number bounces around a lot, too. :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

plehbah said:
Screen the top six inches of overburden, and then dig every false peep in the dirt beneath that.

This is the way to the worn Barber dime on edge.
I hope that barber dime is worth screening the top six inches of overburden in the whole park, and then digging every false peep to boot! :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

Charlie P. (NY) said:
You really can't notch out pre'82 cents with the F75. Not sure about the others. Discrimination only goes to 65 and the alloy of the older cents puts them around 70, but then dimes are at 71 so it's pretty close and you may lose some dimes by skipping cents. The post'82 zinc crap cents read 58 or so.
I didn't know that there was a difference between pre and post 1982 pennies. Interesting.... :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

metalmolly said:
Indian Head pennies often hit like zinc pennies. I always dig zinc range targets.
Wow! Nice observation! "zinc range"? I didn't even know there was a zinc range. :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
Massbaycolonist

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

Massbaycolonist said:
extractor said:
I like to leave a few things for other MD'rs. Especially pennies and also those "iiffy" signals.
Wow! What a complete explanation, at least for the 250, Ivan! Thanks so much. Zinc pennies- are those the pre '82 pennies? I wouldn't mind leaving all the pennies in the world for that exhaustive type MD'er to find, and if they found an occasional Indian head penny, bless them, they should be rewarded thusly. :icon_jokercolor:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

zinc cents are the modern (after 1982) self destructing cents that seem to start to rot upon impact with the ground ---

after 82 is "zinc cents" ---(yeck they suck) -- 1982 to 1959 are " at least copper" memorial cents (being copper based -- they can ring up as dimes-- the same as copper cored clad dimes do )--- 1958 to 1909 are "wheat" cents ( again being copper they can ring up as dimes)--1909 to 1859 is indain head cents ( tend to ring up in the zinc range) --then the flying eagle cent -- 1856 -1858 only 3 years of mintage * ( mostly copper with a bit of nickle)--- this covers the "small sized cents " -- before 1856 you get into the "large cents" era.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax

Pleabah.........LOL!! Love that answer, I was thinking the same thing as I read this post. It's funny to me because I was one of those guys 4 years ago when I got into this "hobby", which I now realize is an addiction. I have had the opportunity to hunt with some good "ole timers" in my first years here and I have learned a whole bunch about the value of "iffy" signals, I still kick my butt when I walk away from a questionable signal..........but I guarantee ya I ain't walkin' past a penny signal!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I dig all coins. Cents and all.

Today I dug an odd signal and it was a War Nickel (35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese), 55 on the 1 to 99 scale of my F-75. Bottle cap region (and also 3¢ silver pieces from the 1800's).

Anything that doesn't "jump around" . . . and some things that do.

I toss all my clad in a rock tumbler with a little water and a bunch of pea gravel. Cleans up well enough to recirculate. But the crummy zinc cents are usually worthless. I bury them in rolled cents and once a year deposit them into my IRA at the bank. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• HPIM1407s.jpg
    HPIM1407s.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 170
  • HPIM1408s.jpg
    HPIM1408s.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 181
  • HPIM1407s.jpg
    HPIM1407s.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 169
  • HPIM1408s.jpg
    HPIM1408s.jpg