Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Silver Eagle. I went to a pawn shop and bought a White's Classic I Coinmaster some years back for a hundred bucks. Whatever you buy, you need to learn the machine until you automatically know what it's telling you. This takes time but with practice it can be done. It's just something you'll come by and it's not taught in the instructions. I was broke in those days, and my goal was to someday buy a real expensive metal detector, as the more they cost the more better they should be, right? Well, I finally bought a White's DFX with about 3 different coils. I got about 1600 dollars invested in it and I'm getting it back a quarter at a time. I'm still learning this machine. But sometimes I still take the Coinmaster out for fun and clean up with it.

Daveaohio

Greenie
Apr 21, 2009
Have you checked into renting one to see what works best? Maybe hook up with someone local and try it out a few times. I have a Whites Classic I think I payed a few hundred ten years ago I don't do much MDing but I found a diamond ring on a Tampa beach that covered the cost of the detector. If you take care of it you'll have it a life time so it's not a bad investment.
Good Luck
Dave

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The age old question, where to start. Start with quality, start cheap....I say go used, with a reputable brand that is a turn on and go unit...if you are still hunting months later upgrade.

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
The Whites Prizm series is a great starter detector. Check out the Prizm II. It is a great little machine for about $250.00. Best of luck to you in your new hobby! :thumbsup:

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
plehbah said:
I am intrigued by certain unique design elements of this model .

That is funny as hell....It looks like a bad bagless vaccuum that don't work! :icon_scratch: Oh well, if it keeps children busy it's probably worth 10 fold! ::)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
plehbah said:
I am intrigued by certain unique design elements of this model .

The price is pretty good, too.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2486965

26 inch shaft???....Oh my aching back....lol

Seriously guy, try looking on ebay for a used, inexpensive unit or see if there's a local dealer like someone said and rent one for a couple days.
Just about any of them will detect metal.

Al

OP
OP
Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
There was many different brand name detectors being sold at my local flea market when I bought the tracker.! I just wanted to get advice before buying & possibly wasteing $40.00 on another one hit wonder.. I believe I will go with the whites detector this time..

Thanks for the advice guy/gals.. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Silver uMax--you can get one for about $230 and it is No Slouch.  It has a lifetime warranty--unlike any of the other brands--ANY of them!--currently made.  In fact, all Tesoro detectors carry a lifetime warranty.

I have been a detectorist for 17 years now, I bought mine used from a local dealer here for $159 a year ago, and I still use it on at least every other hunt. 

Regards,

Buckleboy

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I too, reccomend the Tesoro Silver Umax for $240 or even the Compadre for $160. Very basic detectors and have proven themselves over and over with the benift of a lifetime warranty. Good luck.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Silver Eagle said:
There was many different brand name detectors being sold at my local flea market when I bought the tracker.! I just wanted to get advice before buying & possibly wasteing $40.00 on another one hit wonder.. I believe I will go with the whites detector this time..

Thanks for the advice guy/gals.. :thumbsup:

Remeber you pay for what you get. Do Not Listen to these salesman. Ones at companys on the net. You should find a good club and talk to members. Old and young they have nothing to gain, most club members will be willing to help you. Find your self an Elmer(ham radio term) and listen to them.
There is a lot of good information to be found on these and this forum.
Good Luck happy detecting. :thumbsup: :coffee:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The Gold Century GC1023 is only $59.95 shipped from the distributor www.gold-century.com It is made in China so may not be as durable as some (try not to drop) but the distributor offers a 1 year warranty. It has a max depth of 8" on quarter in all metal & 6" in pinpoint.

The disc if turned up all the way supposedly rejects everything but silver coins, but lower disc will get other coins. It is said to have quick recovery for getting coins next to junk. Several experienced detectorists have bought one and say they don't plan to sell it. It gives a high tone for items above disc setting & low tone for items below discrimination setting.

If you want American detector under $250 new Tesoro Silver u/max, Garrett Ace 250, White's Prizm II, Fisher F2. But used would greatly increase possibilities in this price range. Some 1980s detectors are as good as most of today's detectors, but weigh more partly due to requiring more batteries. I don't really want to make the decision for you, as everyone likes/dislikes different things. HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.. I went back to the flea market & no whites detectors was being offered for sale.. Infact, I didn't see any that looked decent.! So, Im still looking..

If you have a good whites or other good detector, I have some coins offered for sale & trade here on treasure net.. Maybe we can work out a trade..??

Thanks Again, Silver Eagle.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold Century GC1023 is only $59.95 shipped from the distributor www.gold-century.com It is made in China so may not be as durable as some (try not to drop) but the distributor offers a 1 year warranty. It has a max depth of 8" on quarter in all metal & 6" in pinpoint.

That detector looks just like the one below from Harbor Freight. Look at the owner's manuals and you will see that some of the pictures are exactly the same. Except that the Harbor Freight model can be had for $29.99. I bet they are both made by the same company in China. Of course, I could be wrong. But they sure do seem like the exact same thing to me.

My local Harbor Freight store has this detector in stock. I was considering buying one just so that I'd have another detector to take along if I ever had guests. You really can't go wrong for the price. Has anyone actually ever used the Gold Centrory GC1023 or the Harbor Freight model?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43150

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I'm wrong. The GC1023 is a completely different detector. The Harbor Freight model is actually the same as the GC1005. The GC1023 looks like a much better unit.

Sorry about that!

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I'd go for the Fisher F2, as it's probably the lowest priced detector that still has
Target ID numbers.
If you can go a little higher I'd go with the Garret Ace 250.
Everyone says it's an excellent starter machine, yet it has all
the bells and whistles to help you sort junk from treasure.

My 2-cents worth.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ankh said:
The Ace 250 has a bit faster tracking speed over the Prizm II-V series. Give an ace a try ,,cheaper investment per dollar over a Prizm. I know Ive owned a Prizm IV and have used an Ace 250.

And the uMax has a faster recovery speed than either one of them, but the poster of this thread will likely not be able to find one at a flea market.

Let me remind the poster of this thread that a Good detector is not likely to be found at a flea market--folks who own the Good detectors, Keep Them. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread