Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe in some form of higher entity. I open doors for little old ladies. I ask permission to detect on private property. I try and help others when I can. Clad coins, CoinStar. Other than a quick rinsing off of coins brought to CoinStar? No idea what you are talking about.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers said:
rock tumbler or take them to a coin star machine....Matt

That's my method. I use a bit of pea gravel (free - there's a pile beside my house) equal to the volume of coins and just enough water to cover the mix with 2" of airspace in the tumbler.

DO NOT use this system for coins you wish to save. It is harsh - takes about four hours and two changes of water to have them clean and CoinStar ready. Even my zinc cents have an 75% accept rate using this. The clad is usually 95 to 100%. For some reason the CoinStar rejects reddish toned dimes especially.

By the way, I have been getting Lowes gift cards at the CoinStar as you get 100% back. Much better than the 8.9% or whatever they extract for cash back. They offer credit at Cabela's, Amazon, Border's and other retail outlets, too.

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
My zinc pennies are a loss. Your best bet is to roll em. As far as everything else I just rinse them off completely and take them to the bank. They have a coin counter for free and I never have my coins rejected except for some slightly bent ones. Coinstar is a rip off unless you get a gift card from it. I work too hard for each little coin to give it to some rich a... I"ll stop there. Have a good one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions