Ground balancing

ffordre4

Mar 30, 2009
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Whites Spectrum V3i, and Explorer SE Pro
I am new to MD'ing, I have a new EXII. I hear everyone talking about ground balancing. What is that? and how do you do it on the excalibur II. I am stationed in JApan and doing fairly well, but all the different items sound the same. I have made a test site to listen to all the different medals and side by side they sound the same. Any suggestions. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to tweak my level of knowledge.

Bob Ford

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to my Minelab catalog the Explorer II lacks a manual ground balance feature. You'll have to trust the unit to arrive at the proper setting with the "AGT" programming.

Some detectors give an alarm signal when a target that fits into the parameters you have chosen while others give a more changable tone. On a detector of that caliber you should be able to set multiple tones for high vs. low conductivity, but I'm not all that familiar with the EXII and that isn't mentioned in the catalog.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure about the excalibur II but for ground balance. You want the same sound when you hold the coil above the ground and then lower it to the ground and make sure the sound stay the same. So when you raise the coil up when you sweep you don't get a different sound. Hope I explain it good enought for you....Matt

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
What will happen to a machine that is not properly ground balanced ? My guess is that there will be more falseing.....?

I am new to the need to ground balance with my new Minelab 705.

VPR

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
What will happen to a machine that is not properly ground balanced ? My guess is that there will be more falseing.....?

I am new to the need to ground balance with my new Minelab 705.

VPR

You'll lose depth and sensitivity. Depending on how off (positive or negative) you may have more falsing or pass over good targets with no signal at all. I prefer just a hair of positive balance. When I push the coil towards the soil I get a tone change, but none when I lift the coil.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bob, the ground balance on that machine is automatic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread