Where,& Why will Gold and Silver prices be by this years end

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where,& Why will Gold and Silver prices be by this years end

I'm confused by the sudden up swing in the value of gold and silver. The true market value has not been listed for some time. Now, there is real talk that gold could very well reach $1,600 per oz. by Dec. Also gold and silver seems to reglate the price of gas now, reather than price of crude oil per barrol.

Is gas going back to $4.00 per gal, if the precious metal market keeps on an up swing?[size=9pt]I'm usually a night person, buy I wanted to ask some of the morning Tnet members about this, as well as the night members.

I would really like to get a discussion going on this without dragging in politicks. We all have to deal with the price of gas. And it seems that when gas went up to $4.00+ per gal. the last time. That was the last straw that broke the economy.

Whats you thoughts on this? Are we headed back to where we were just a few months ago with the gas price?
Clayton

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Re: Where,& Why will Gold and Silver prices be by this years end

This morning I read that jewelers are resistant to buy gold at the current
price. They would be buying more if the price was in the $800 - 850 range.
That leaves the investing public to buy at the inflated price.
I can't imagine a market force in the near future pushing prices into double
the current range.

lastleg

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I read it on one of the precious metals sites. Maybe their way to entice people to
buy gold now. I think 1,100 or maybe 1,200 might could be reached.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I am no expert but the price of gas always seems to be regulated by supply and demand. More demand then anything though, if it is summer when people want to travel, boat, ride 4 wheelers...etc. the price goes up. I would think the oppisite would be true but like I said I am no expert. These companies have been suppling gasoline to the public for years, you would think they would produce more in the slow times to cover the high demand periods. It comes down to profit, this is a capitalist country and they want to make as much money as they can. Just wait until Memorial day weekend and see what prices do.....

I think it all boils down to the fact that they are going to charge as much as they possibly can for their product no matter what time of year it is. As far as gold and silver prices go, boy I wish I could outguess the market for that. I could retire in about 3 months if I KNEW what the price would be but my crystal ball is on the fritz...LOL.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

Buy your gold and silver now before gas prices go up to high. The economy isn't finished heading south. Gold and silver will always be a good investment for a shakey economy. Paper money looses value in a bad economy(stocks, bonds, green backs...). The government prints more money when times are bad, but they can't print gold or silver which makes the metals a great investment that can't be beat.

Treasure hunting is a lot about researching and finding treasure. Precious metals aren't any different. Researching the metals in tuff economic times shows it does better than the stocks in bad times. Stocks do better in good times when the employment rate is UM,UM GOOD.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

Hopefully I'm not sidetracking the discussion.

But if gold went up to $2000/oz. would you sell your gold? After all, you are trading for paper money which isn't worth what it used to be. In other words, if the only way to sell gold was to trade for paper money then the price of gold would really be more of a reflection of the current value of paper money than it is a reflection of the demand for gold. It's kind of a catch-22 in a way.

It seems to me that gold is something you only exchange for paper money if you feel that the paper money will ultimately go back up significantly in value. Otherwise, you'd be better off keeping your gold and hoping the price is high when you are ready to "get out". With that said, does it really matter what gold is worth if you don't intend to sell it anyway? It's like stocks. They are only worth something when you sell them. I was actually thinking about this the other day when someone posted one of those "how would you get rid of your gold if you found a large cache" questions.

Thoughts?

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

Good point, but it's not exactly that simple. Paper money is backed by governments guarantee that their not going to over print and over spending in economic down falls. Gold can't be printed and therefore will go up in bad times and hold some value in good times. Paper money will become valuable in good times. Are you willing to bet your dollar bill that good times are very near.

I'm holding my gold and silver just a little bit longer.

Your not side tracking. Your just looking at the topic from a different point of view. Researching the subject further will give you the knowledge of which one of us might be closer to what's going on. Historically, I believe gold and silver are better commodities to have at the moment then paper money.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

Researching the subject further will give you the knowledge of which one of us might be closer to what's going on.

Well I'm more than willing to admit that I have no idea what's going on so I think you are the clear winner here. :wink:

Historically, I believe gold and silver are better commodities to have at the moment then paper money

I think I agree. But my $2000 figure was meant to be thought provoking. There is some magical number that would probably make you change your mind. Are we close to it? If so/not, what is that magical number? Or is the value of paper money so risky now that there is no way you would consider selling gold at this point? Let's face it, the high gold prices are causing a lot of people to sell their old gold jewelry for cash. I just wonder how sane this really is given that they are trading gold for paper money that could continue dropping in value for quite a while.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

Sound like your viewing the values enough to make an informed plan of action soon on which way you want to invest.

Me, I'm hanging on to my gold for awhile. It's a part of my golden rule. Those with the gold rule

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008

Realy good answers and comments. But my lesson has been that regardless of the economy, gold has still out preformed the DOW by as much as 400% (yes, 400) for a little over the past eight years strait. But I still think do to the slow economic recovery, gold will go down to about the $650-$750 per ounce range, and silver per ounce will be less than $9. I still keep my Gold and silver at todays $900 price.

I like to polish it on rainy days, and it has rained for 15 days strait here in Oklahoma.

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I had gold that I bought in the past for say $600 to $700 per oz and the price
were to go up to $2.000 tomorrow. I think yes I would sell. That's not going to happen.
So If I had any gold I would hold on to it for now at least.

I read an article from Reuters saying that the United States economy looks like it is on an up swing
''New data on Friday reinforced the view that the worst of the recession may have passed, making investors more comfortable with risk-taking. Reports showed U.S. consumers felt more upbeat about the economy in April while a key gauge of manufacturing suggested the sector was gradually emerging out of a prolonged recession.''

I'm not an expert at this, so my question is, if the United States dollar become strong, and looks like it
will remain strong for the immediate future. Will the price of gold, silver and gas go up or down because
of it?

I like silver as an investment. In a smaller way, an investor could have a good return. Lets say silver is
@ $14.00 an oz now, With the unexpected turn of events in the past year. Silver could go to $28.00
Yes, I know this is wishful thinking, but with silver being used more and more in manufacturing, there will
be a greater demand for it.

Clayton

JHArizona

May 10, 2009

I have always found that not only gold, but even the paper money is more valuable in the bad times...

Ponder that one a bit :) I think the auto workers would understand...

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In effect, I see what you are saying. But, in the bad times, the goods that the
American consumer needs to buy to function on a daily basis rises. So that
the stores can continue to make a profit. While the number on the paper money
stays the same. So, it takes more of that paper money to buy the goods :icon_scratch:

Clayton

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Clayton, Regardless of gov statistics inflation for the average citizen is on
the rise. I do the shopping in our house so finding bargains on necesities
is getting harder to find. Translate that into consumer interest in jewelry,
silver or gold, gets put on the shelf in times like these. Also bear in mind
silver has lost one of it's best buyers, photographic film. Progress (?)
has decimated the demand in the printing industry as well.
Silver mines shut down in the 80's as demand slowed. Now if demand
rose again those mines boarded up could be reopened if a skilled workforce
could be found. It's not like silver is that rare. Colorado for one has lots
of silver in established mines now shut down.
For silver prices to take off it would take the Mint producing mucho silver
currency again and what's the chance of that?

lastleg

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lastleg said:
Clayton, Regardless of gov statistics inflation for the average citizen is on
the rise. I do the shopping in our house so finding bargains on necesities
is getting harder to find. Translate that into consumer interest in jewelry,
silver or gold, gets put on the shelf in times like these. Also bear in mind
silver has lost one of it's best buyers, photographic film. Progress (?)
has decimated the demand in the printing industry as well.
Silver mines shut down in the 80's as demand slowed. Now if demand
rose again those mines boarded up could be reopened if a skilled workforce
could be found. It's not like silver is that rare. Colorado for one has lots
of silver in established mines now shut down.
For silver prices to take off it would take the Mint producing mucho silver
currency again and what's the chance of that?

lastleg

lastleg,

Thats interesting, and something to give some thought to. Later tonight
I will do some research on what you wrote.

Clayton

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE

if ive learned anything its follow the greed trail. u will find public service and adaquite,sustainable profits have been almost completely replaced by greed.get what we can while we can. this relates specifically to oil.they look at the numbers and decide what the highest price they can charge without losing profits to less volume. they have learned also that most americans are spoiled and dont want to give up larger prestigious vehicles. and people everywhere have ever worsening driving habits. most of us sit at hi speed connections for a large part of our day. we are used to everything IMMEDIATELY.and get might pizzed if it takes 1/10th of a second longer. when we turn off the computer and get behind the wheel we forget that we can no longer expect the split second reactions of computer response and are switching to the several seconds response time of the mechanical world. how slow and dull it seems after hours of hi speed games. result many jackrabbit starts and stops.using more gas per user.add to this.the truly gas saving cars are not being made. the geo metro xfi was a 3 cyl that got 50 mpg plus. w the honda crx close behind. neither of these 90s technology cars are being made today.why.they were too effcient. the industry decided they wanted u to have to buy a hybrid to get that kind of mileage. result we are still using way too much per vehicle. they will have prices back to the 4 dollar level asap.it has nothing to do w cost of production. during this downtime they aredoing there best to kill ethanol.there only competetion.

GOLD AND SILVER are much harder to track. goverments dont like them. they are artificially low right now due to central bank selling. the idea is to make everything appear safe as we teeter ever closer to national and even world bankruptcy. the politicians have devised a great new plan.sell precious metal reserves at an artificially low level. while continuing to print paper money.its a greed play where theve got spendible dollars from they sale ofthe metals coming in.and usually enhanced by making that metal into some kind of collector coin as well. and the profits of printing money out of thin air. but they spend so much that even this is not anywhere near enuf.so they borrow huge on top of it all. when they run out of metals to sell they can always play the trump card of outlawing gold ownership again.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Scrounger: You are correct about the monkey business in the auto sector.
As far as outlawing private ownership of gold I doubt the govt wants to send
gold underground again. They would lose control of taxation of gold and
you know they want control over all of our finances. Be safe.

lastleg

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not really consearned that the government will outlaw private ownership
of gold. In this day and time that would simply not work for them, and they
know that.
lastleg, After doing a little research on the silver thing. I can see some reasons
why it would not work for silver prices to rise to much in value. But, I yet think
we will soon see some increase. In the event that the paper dollar were to be
printed to the point of making it vergolee worthless. The local merchant would
be more likely to have change for a small amount of silver, over a oz. of gold.

So, even tho silver may not increase in value, and gold may. I will yet try to hold
to a small amount of silver. Theres just a lot of differant ways to look at it. And not
everything is going to work the same for everyone.

Clayton

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Clayton: Sure, I'm keeping what silver I already dug out of the ground, I'm
just not going to buy any. Do you know how much silver you would have
to own to get a realistic hedge on inflation?
It would be so many lbs you would have to insure it and keep at a trusted
bank vault. That's why when I hear "Buy Precious Metals" I wonder how
much would do me any good.
I have bought Alaskan gold concentrates several times and the fun is in
panning it and retrieving every speck.
Some years back I worked at fast-print outfits and saved the silver paper
plates used on small presses. When I exchanged them I got a 10 oz bar.
And of course I save all silver coinage and jewelry. I found an English silver
serving tray in the dumpster when a lady down the street moved.
The sport of metal detecting leads you eventually to all sorts of memora-
bilia from marbles and tokens to just about anything of value.
Maybe in time someone else will pony up what I feel it is worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread