Metal detector user jailed for selling fake coins....

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Steve_UK,

I hate to burst your bubble but that is undoubtedly a reproduction. It has the wrong mint mark. ::)

index.php

The original was produced in fl. oz. not mL. :wink: ;D

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
stoney56 said:
Steve_UK,

I hate to burst your bubble but that is undoubtedly a reproduction. It has the wrong mint mark. ::)

index.php

Busted....Oh the shame, the shame... ;D

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Steve_UK said:
stoney56 said:
Steve_UK,

index.php

no work steve?

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
shaun7 said:
Steve_UK said:
stoney56 said:
Steve_UK,

index.php

no work steve?

Lost my job in I.T. last month... Doing a bit of freelence at the moment. Money is rubbish in I.T. now.
I was HGV driver until i fell into that game.... considering doing it again, those guys can earn some good bucks if you can get to work for a decent company.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Steve_UK said:
shaun7 said:
Steve_UK said:
stoney56 said:
Steve_UK,

index.php

no work steve?

Lost my job in I.T. last month... Doing a bit of freelence at the moment. Money is rubbish in I.T. now.
I was HGV driver until i fell into that game.... considering doing it again, those guys can earn some good bucks if you can get to work for a decent company.

i've sat indoors all week >:(

bores the t*ts off me!

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Tell me about it... I can't discipline myself to work from home, too many distractions.

I got a pile of PC's in my dining room to repair, but keep looking out the window to see if the weather is going to hold long enough for me to get on that ploughed filed!! :icon_jokercolor:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Steve_UK said:
Tell me about it... I can't discipline myself to work from home, too many distractions.

I got a pile of PC's in my dining room to repair, but keep looking out the window to see if the weather is going to hold long enough for me to get on that ploughed filed!! :icon_jokercolor:

i hope none of your customers are reading this ;D

mind you, i doubt it because all their computers are in your dining room :D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Steve_UK said:

i hope none of your customers are reading this ;D

mind you, i doubt it because all their computers are in your dining room :D

:D :D

Steve, if you could travel you could join our club :wink:

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
The problem here is that TreasureNet has made the decision to pursue a policy of "innocent until proven guilty", with the additional Catch 22 caveat of there being no way we ourselves are enabled to begin any investigation process.

And so we have a "friendlier" atmosphere, but the credibility of TreasureNet is compromised. TreasureNet must also be given a qualifying asterisk when cited as a source for identification or authentication because the website knowingly allows fraudulent claims to be posted in the most prominent forums without any ability by the populace to determine the validity of any finds.

As we all know here, TreasureNet is a large public forum with no professional or expert eligibility requirements for posting. If anyone takes "As seen on TreasureNet" alone as credibility or validation of a claim, they will probably also give their bank account number to a "Nigerian Prince" email. But if they come here and ask about the item in question, they will get a wealth of good information to help them make a decision. They just need to take the trouble to do that.

scrubber

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary in Pennsylvania said:
Absolutely fantasic posts plehbah.
-

Yes, an excellent post. When you see an obvious fraud taking place, it's almost impossible to do nothing about it and still sleep at night. Even just calling people's attention to what you see as a fraudulent post (without calling it that) and asking them to read it carefully and critically can help without it being an actual accusation. It's treading a fine line, but to some extent, any forum and especially one like this one has to have some level of self-policing.

scrubber

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tip on self-policing: If you see a questionable post, a quick Google search could provide a backup for your suspicion. Posting a link to it with "Check this link out" or something like that can expose the fraud without it being a direct personal accusation.

scrubber

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm..interesting post and some good points by scrubber and plebah :icon_study: i think the best way to treat char letans that come on here and try to decieve

is just to totally ignore the poster >:( unfortunately there is quite a bit of forgery going on over here when it comes to relics and ancient coins :'( there is one well known website

and dealer who has fake items up for sale (he is totally not aware of this) but I have seen these items up for sale and no a bit about there origin :( but I am afraid that this might just

be the tip of the ice berg and could get worse and bring our beloved hobby into dangerous ground :'( forgery is just a thing that we are going to just except as the bad element of the

detecting world :-[ Football has it's hooligans, Fishing and Hunting the poachers, we have the Night hawkers and the fakers :'( :'(

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrubber said:
A tip on self-policing: If you see a questionable post, a quick Google search could provide a backup for your suspicion. Posting a link to it with "Check this link out" or something like that can expose the fraud without it being a direct personal accusation.

scrubber

I have done this before--posting a link and saying "I found the same thing!" and the post was pulled by the moderators. :thumbsup:

I have also gone about it the wrong way, and it almost got me banned.

I suggest the former. :wink:

Great replies, folks. Keep up the good work.

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread