If I were wealthy (and a little bitter)....

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here's my fantasy -- I'm a rich old codger (I wish) who has enjoyed metal detecting, but all my relatives and acquaintances have ridiculed my hobby. So in my will, I leave identical detectors to each of them with a series of clues, provided by my estate executor, on a predetermined schedule, leading them to caches I have buried.

The largest caches would be carefully planted to have the most ambiguous hard-to-read signals. Each clue could perhaps narrow the hunt more so that hopefully, some or all may end up in the same places at the same times heavily competing (or perhaps fighting) for the finds. :evil6:

Wouldn't that make a great novel?

scrubber

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Don't know how much of a mystery, one or two of the relatives did it....
Don't want to change the thread but, mine is to win one of the really big lottos and give each of my siblings a briefcase full of money, just to see how long it would take for the fight to begin...

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
That's a cool idea scrubber. However, I wonder how long it would take for them to give up on the metal detectors and bring in the backhoes!

I'd love to do this kind of thing for my children as well. Not out of spite. But just to give them a little adventure. Of course, I wouldn't hide all of my loot that way. Just leave them a cryptic treasure map and let them have fun figuring it out. If I ever get grandchildren maybe I'll set something like this up for them (while I'm still alive and can enjoy the experience). It might be a nice way to pass along some of my finds to the next generation.

As a side note, I just had the weirdest dream last week. I was a kid again and suddenly got interested in metal detecting. Everyone in my family kept trying to come up with other things for me to do instead. It finally dawned on me that they were all emabarrased by my new hobby. They assumed that everyone would think we were poor and that I was scrounging for spare change. It was a very vivid dream with a lot of emotions from my childhood. Spooky stuff. I only mention it because there seems to be a common theme in the world where people are embarrased by or for people who metal detect because they don't really understand why we enjoy doing this.

Anyway, neat idea. Too bad you won't be around to tell us how it turns out! :)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me of a movie called "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World " from 1963.

GG~

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
Goodyguy said:
That reminds me of a movie called "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World " from 1963.

That was a great movie! Lots of stars, and great scenes. I loved the one where Johnathon Winters tears down the garage with his bare hands..

GG~

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
that's a very cool idea...but about the backhoe problem.

tell them very clearly that the loot is planted with mines and any attempt to roughhouse it (ie. cheat) will blow it all sky high...what fun! :)

LD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions