directional coil / scan down only

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hi All,
i was wondering if any MD makes, have a coil that scans downwards only ?, for use scaning the ground in close proximity to metal at the sides, such as along side... parked cars, fence lines, lamp posts, under park benches or bleachers, beside rebar or wire reinforced concrete walkways and foundations, etc.

is there such a thing as a limited directional coil, that scans down only ?,

i can't be the only one who's had to forgo searching areas like these. :'(

Hi. Marc and Jeff...( i hope i put this under the correct catagory ? )

thanks.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I don't think so. Electromagnetic field lines are always circular so they can't start at a point and go outward without coming back through another route. This implies that the it would be very difficult to produce such a coil. The best you could hope for is a coil design that minimizes the fields on the sides and top of the coil. I don't think there is much incentive for the detector manufacturers to spend money trying to accomplish this. But maybe someone else can chime in and provide more information.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, there is a coil made to do this, at least on Whites (or "some" of the Whites). I don't know the name of it, or what models it fits on though. It's thicker and odd looking. I was detecting with a fellow and his wife, and she was using this odd shaped coil. When I asked my friend about it, he said that it only detected downward, so you could push under metal playground equipment, get nearer to metal fences, etc.... Perhaps someone else will chime in and let us know which coil that is, and what brands/models it goes on.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, it could be done, but economically and in which type of circuit? It is simpler to merely balance next to the object, then maintain the same distance from it while scanning keeping your response factor at the same level.. I.E. parallel from a fence , power line, building, automobile, etc.

Send a PM to Carl, he is in the process of designing new instruments for White. He is extremely intelligent and open minded, except on dowsing he he he .

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread