Has anyone ever hunted near or on railroad tracks...good or bad?

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
You can definately make some good finds along the tracks especially if you get into a camp area for the workers. You should find all kinds of interesting stuff if the rail is that old! I've been working along some old tracks next to my house and so far we have found just a couple silver coins and a silver ring so far! Good luck and keep us posted on any R.R. finds you may get! Some neat railroad related stuff can be worth some $$ as it is highly collectible! Best of Luck To You! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ldablo

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Thanks for the response.

I'll sniff around and see what I come up with.

LD

OP
OP
ldablo

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Thanks for posting the link--I missed that one.

LD

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be prepared for the RR police to arrest you for trespassing. Or the local sheriff.

While I don't want to sound like a liability lawyer, it is dangerous to be on RR property.

The RR's get a little uptight about it.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bum Luck said:
Be prepared for the RR police to arrest you for trespassing. Or the local sheriff.

While I don't want to sound like a liability lawyer, it is dangerous to be on RR property.

The RR's get a little uptight about it.

Yea...that is a point to consider, if you're near an active depot or center of activity.
I recently recieved a "NO" from Norfolk & Southern to do some photography and scouting on an abandoned site of theirs. History abounds at the site and absolutely nothing left of a whole town. They cited the libility clause, etc. and so on. And...it is a place where workers for the RR frequently are, right next to a bridge built back in 1860's.
They were friendly to me when I was there...but they're just workers...not police. Now...there's a brandy-new lock on a gate preventing auto access.
This section is way out in nowhere, not likely local police or anyone would care....but get an engineer running a train thru on a bad day.....they do have radios and phones......

There's all sorts of quad trails down to an abandoned section, well away from the RR itself which I feel safe to be. I just think they dont want anyone near the bridges and switchovers.

Al

sonny61

Sep 9, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Prizm 4, Surfmaster ll
Railroads are private property. I used to rabbit hunt on them (great place for rabbits) until they changed the law several years ago. Can also be very dangerous if using headphones. hard to hear the trains.

OP
OP
ldablo

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
Thanks for the great info on this.

I cased it out really good yesterday--there aren't really any great spots where I happen to be. There are a couple of possibilities though. As I said this is an extremely active stretch so I'll have to play it cool. 8)

I certainly won't be ON the tracks and not that close either.

LD

P

pippinwhitepaws

guess this guy was busy hunting rail road property

Attachments

• 3kb3o63p9ZZZZZZZZZ95cd3ffc0dab0521cb9.jpg
    3kb3o63p9ZZZZZZZZZ95cd3ffc0dab0521cb9.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 589

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Great for collecting scrap metal. It is all over place, so are old iron spikes laying around. If scrap metal prices were better one could make a good living at it.

itmaiden

ldablo said:
The place I'm staying currently is close to some tracks (still very active) that have been here since the 1880s. Has anyone ever hunted these and can they be productive. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

LD

OP
OP
ldablo

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
lol...i think he mighta had a coyote in the car with him (oops, wrong thread). :)

LD

P

pippinwhitepaws

i did not want to encourage anyone to play with trains...
i did find this in an old can dump near the sante fe rr. not on their property..but real close.

Attachments

• fconcho.JPG
    fconcho.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 284
  • fconcho.JPG
    fconcho.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 238

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i must tell you it wuz very productive. RRlocks silver and relics but the only problem wuz those needles we all find from time to time :)

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
sonny61 said:
Railroads are private property. I used to rabbit hunt on them (great place for rabbits) until they changed the law several years ago. Can also be very dangerous if using headphones. hard to hear the trains.
Pretty much why I hunt a few feet away from the tract and not down the middle of them. I have a hearing loss and with head phones It would be worse. I do have a sensitivity to ground motion that most hearing people don't have but I don't rely on it all that much.

It's just like crossing an intersection, I look both ways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread