how not to look guilty while metal detecting

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
was wondering about how others handle park personell.as the worlds worst poker player im the type of person who tends to have my emotions very apparent in pressure situations.i also am not a people person so i tend to shy away from contact w anybody while detecting.

no matter how hard u try u cannot avoid people at the park.after all thats how the coins got there.thankfully,most people know what metal detecting is by now and pretty much leave u alone. but them pesky personell.they seem to be everywhere. the bigger city i live next to has not only park employees but also a special park police rangers.2 of em in a less then 4 city blocks park.what pork and waste.

i have only once been approached by park keepers.where i had to talk to them.it turned out ok .but i cant help trying tobe facing away from them if they come by which is almost constsnt.usually i will just keep hunting then circle back. i know what im doing isnt wrong.and i scupulously fill my holes.but i still feel sheepish when they come near.

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I would shoot the breeze with them a bit..show them the trash that you pick up, let them get to know you, once they get to know you they'll probably leave you alone, and probably even watch out for you...I just wouldn't advertise any good finds.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miningtown said:
I would shoot the breeze with them a bit..show them the trash that you pick up, let them get to know you, once they get to know you they'll probably leave you alone, and probably even watch out for you...I just wouldn't advertise any good finds.

Good advice :thumbsup:
If I go to a park I go early morning and never at peak times.

GG~

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Scrounger, I know you. This doesn't sound like you, unless you're hunting in places you don't know that they're legal grounds or not. Is that the case?

That's a basic, honey. Check out the grounds ahead of time. Go to the police station, if you have to.

If you're hunting in legal areas, don't let them intimidate you. And stay out of the snakey camping areas!!! :wink: :D :)

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I go at an off time for people but sometimes park workers are there and always try to talk with them kind of puts everyone at ease and often they tell me where the best places to look are at.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
When you see one, nod their way, or give 'em a quick wave and smile. That will cut the tension across the way long before they get to you. Right then they'll know you aren't trying to hide anything and if they decide to come over to speak to you, they won't be so likely to have an attitude like you are the invader/wrongdoer. I don't like being confronted by the police, but they come check on me a lot because I do a lot of evening/night hunting due to lack of time during the day. My experiences are always good though, because I park my vehicle in a conspicuous place, like under a streetlight, so that it doesn't look like I'm trying to hide (like if I parked it behind some bushes). Then, when I see a police car, I give a little wave. If I see a police car acting like it's looking for me, (as in someone saw me and called in because they think I'm suspicious)..I go ahead and walk to the road so he can tell what I have in my hand, what I'm doing, and that I'm not hiding anything. By the time they get to me and roll down the window, they know I'm probably on the up and up. A lot of the time they will have a nice little chat about what you find, etc..., and then they remember me from then on and drive on by next time, or wave back at me. I imagine the same would apply to park police or any authority figure. I'm more the quiet type who shies away from attention too, but when it comes to these circumstances, shy comes across as guilty or shady.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
get a el cheapo type blaze orange work safety vest and a jumpsuit type work uniform from a workclothes joint -wear it folks that see you think your working and leave you be --busy bodies think your a city employee on the clock thus they do not bother you --- cities employees type think your a power or utilites person -- of course your not "claiming" to be either and if asked just say I'm a metal detector guy ---your just wearing the vest for safety reasons and the jumpsuit is a old junk outfit you don't care if it gets muddy --- now if other folks "think" your a whatever who's fault is that? --- so wear a jump siut and a safety vest and "hide in full view"-of the world --- :wink:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I would not feel guilty about doing something unless I'm doing something illigal, like doing one mile an hour over the speed limit.

If I'm parinoid enough to feel guilty then I would not leave the house. Being watched is a fact of life. Being cool enough to respond to to other people in a positive way is also a fact of life.

People tend to leave me alone if they talk to me and find out that I'm detecting and doing a public service by picking up trash alone the way.

CrazyBones

Greenie
May 7, 2009
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Great topic!

I recently bought my first MD and went out on my first hunt to a large park.

When i got out there I got a little self conscious about digging holes. I know I'm okay legally but I have to admit I was a little hesistant. I really didn't feel like getting ambushed by an eco-nut weilding an old birkenstock.

I was approached by only one person and he just seemed interested in the hobby and knowing if i found anything of interest. Sadly, my handful of pull tabs and bottle caps weren't worth braggin about. :-\.... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread