Dig em all

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
When I first got started MDing I was mentored by a close neighbor of mine. He had been MDing for years and I watched every move he made and i followed ALL of his advice.

There were many times that my old Garrett rang out and he would tell me to leave it, "it's just a pop top" he would say...

While I was hunting with him NEITHER of us found any real jewelry to speak of. A year or so after we started hunting together my wife became pregnant and my hunting came to a slow crawl at best. Glen and I drifted apart and my hunts became less and less.

A few years after my first son was born I decided to get serious about MDing again and started hitting some tot-lots and athletic fields. The first thing I did was to open my machine up and dig every signal I could so that I could get back into the habit of pinpointing again. I started digging a lot of "pop tops" as Glen would call them and then I started getting a few rings and necklaces as well! As I progressed I realized that the "pop top" signals were also the signals that were producing GOLD and plate for me!

Since coming to that realization I have been digging EVERY signal I get. Yep, I dig a LOT of "TRASH", but I also get a LOT of other great finds as well that show to be "trash".

If you're just starting out, let me say this, dig EVERYTHING! After you get to know your machine you can decide what to dig later on, at first, dig it all, you may be surprised to find that the next find isn't a pulltab from a Pepsi, but a 14k ring for the "gold stash"!

Just my $.02 and I'm sure some others will chime in with why I am wrong to steer you this direction... :wink:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Couldn't agree with you more. ;D

To make matters worse, I've read many posts where: bracelets & necklaces ID as foil, rings ID as pull-tabs, and possibly the worst of all - any LARGE mass ID's as IRON or the same "overload" as a soda can. IMHO - discriminate out iron and you'll likely risk discriminating out any large cache as well.............

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
With my hearing loss, I check out all signals. If it's junk(pulltabs, shellcasing) I still pick it up. Would you like to go over the area that I detected to find the same junk that I left behind?

I like a clean area to detect just like the next person. Junk does not get left behind by me. It's no big deal for me to pick it up so I don't find it again. That means the next time it just might be a ring or bracelet.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Words to the wise for sure, but recently I came across a park bench used by the local after-dark sit-a-rounds. There were enough pop tops laying on the surface of the ground that I didn't even put the coil to the soil. The next time I will make the effort to rid the ground of the trash to get at the rings an' things they lose when they wressle around on the benches.

TimC

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy who's grandson's school had a recycling contest to amass the most pulltabs last year. Thanks to my dig-everything philosophy, I supplied him with a large baggie full of them every few days. The great thing is that I didn't mind so much finding them because they had a value to the kid. I found hundreds of them but also had a very good year for rings, earrings and other small light jewelry. Just come up with a reason to love pulltabs. :thumbsup: It helps.

scrubber

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrubber said:
Just come up with a reason to love pulltabs. :thumbsup: It helps.

An afterthought on my last comment (Uh oh, now I'm responding to my own posts). :icon_scratch:

I remember that once at a garage sale, before I got into MDing, I saw an art piece in a frame made from a lot of pulltabs. Looking back, I'll bet it was made by an MDer. But that was an example of a reason to keep them (even if that one was a pretty crappy piece of art).

scrubber

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Another little known Item. Most detectors are very inaccurate at target ID and even worse when going deeper. anything deeper than 6" and almost all of them will read a good target as Iron. :-\ That means that if you have a target that reads 6" or more even if it is an Iron signal you should or could dig it. Many of my older coins are found by digging Iron signals deeper than 6" :P You can also use your pinpoint feature if you have one to judge the target size But I suck at this so I just dig the deep ones and hope for the best.

P.S. this is not a good Idea for park or school hunters, I only use this in the woods or farm fields where no one will care because my holes can get messy at say ten inches. ::)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI all, this is why the old Garrett Master hunter ADS 7 is still one of the tops for deep detecting of the present available lot. as for digging up pull tabs, etc., do it anyways since it will leave a good impression if we remove all such junk in the first place. For caches or larger targets, Always dig them up.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of a very bad permanent injury to my back I have to limit my digging when I go out, so I do discriminate some targets out. I know I probably miss some good targets, but I have so little time to dig before my back gives out I have to use it in the most productive way. If I could I would dig every target, and I still advise newbies to dig 'em all. Monty

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Good thread. I hate digging trash as much as anybody but have a couple of places I want to go and dig it all. One is a fair grounds and the other is an old park. I go to them sometimes to coin shoot for clad. Both have been hit hard by others than myself but I guess they like me are only looking for coins. There's no way they can be getting the good stuff because if you lower disc below pop top, your MD will go crazy. Everywhere you go, it's like pop tops are only inches apart. I know there are goodies just waiting for someone that digs everything.
Randy

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i have the tesoro silver and the minelab etrac. and others i seldom use.i use the silver to cleanup an area first with hi discrim. it so much lighter and ez pinpointing. when i cant stand it any longer i go to the minelab and try for deepies. then back to silver and turn discrim down slightly from b4.

i live in the boonies. and there aint much else nearby closer than this big older park. look like the vast majority of my hunting is gonna be there unless some private site opens up closer. so yeah.....PROB GONNA DIG IT ALL EVENTUALLY. course all is a funny word.and this is a pretty large park

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
<------------------------------- Also rung up as a pulltab.

scrubber

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My relic hunting digging style isn't fit for parks . No class at all except refilling my holes . I dig every beep .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread