Fee, !

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi , all This is The One and Only, Coin Finder, What do you Think of The ( New York ) metal Detecting ( Fee ) ! This state Suck !! to take the money from the people Who do not have alot of money $40.00 for a Year. all they do is Look for ways to Take your Hard Earn Money. with all the Tax's we all pay + to have to pay to Park your Car or Truck. I can't wait to Get the Hell out of hear. :( :( :( :( :(

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...they could outright ban detecting like other cities.

Guess they figure if you pay that heafty of a fee, you're a responsilble type not likely to leave a mess and destroy their parks. Can't blame anyone except the irresponsible ones' that didn't fill their holes and damaged stuff.

$40.00 does seem pretty steep. Does that give you access to any park now, or just certain ones? Is this New York State or city?
How did you hear about it?

Al

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
If paying $40 would mean that I was guaranteed of being able to hunt any public park without fear of being arrested then I'd gladly pay it. I'm sorry that $40 is considered "a lot of money" for you. It's a drop in the bucket for most of us. I think it could be a good thing as it would potentially weed out those that aren't willing to take the time to learn the proper way to dig holes and such. Imagine if along with that $40 you had to agree to fill all holes and were given a pamphlet about proper techniques and rules. That would be a great way to get the word out. And if some busy-body approaches you and tells you that you can't metal detect in the park you could whip out your license and say "Sure I'm allowed to detect in the park. In fact, I've got a license to do so. By the way, do you have a license for that dog that is taking a dump in the tot lot?"

I'm actually for requiring licenses if it gives us better access, fewer rules, and a voice. If not, then they are just taking our money.

B

BIG61AL

if it were to come to having a lincense...I think I would pay as long it assured me not get hassled by busy bodies. cops and ground keepers.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
JB: There you go again. Making this poor working stiff feel stingy because $40
is hard for him to afford. If you really care why don't you pony up the fee for him?

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Because of the economic budget cuts in Washington state, their closing some parks instead of charging a fee.

Would you rather pay a fee to have access or no access because they close the parks.

America will be charging a fee or closing down with economic hard times. That's going to be the future access to the American way of life.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Seamuss, you could join the Seattle TreeHugger Assn and protest until they
reopen.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
JB: There you go again.

Again? I didn't realize I had done it before...

And if you can't afford $40 a year for a hobby you enjoy then I just don't really know what to tell you. You might want to try spending more time working to improve your economic condition instead of spending your time out swinging a detector. Even the typical "working stiff" can usually afford $40 a year. Heck, most of them spend that much per week on cigarettes, beer, or dog food and don't bat an eye at it. Oh well, maybe I'm just one of the few "fortunate" ones. Funny, I never thought that I was that fortunate. :wink:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
JB ol' buddy ol' pal, You sound like a white collar professional, lawyer, maybe.
Coin Finder is struggling to survive in New York, for gosh sakes. I could make
do with just what he tips the doormen, taxi-drivers, pizza deliverers, Starbucks
dolls, Broadway show tip guzzlers and many I can't think of. Cut the boy some
slack.

Your friend too,
lastleg

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
lastleg said:
Seamuss, you could join the Seattle TreeHugger Assn and protest until they
reopen.
I joined the Metal detcting Association of Washington and the Hood Canal Detectorist Club both in Belfair earlier this Year. Just like the Seattle club, we're protesting the closing of state parks and we're getting this budget cut line from the state. Ofcoure their saving a lot of money by firing teachers also. More things to protest in Olympia.

Us prospectors had the same fight with legistators and Deparment of Fish and Wildlife over the previous year and a half We gained ground on panning and sluicing and lost a lot of ground with dredging rights. The battle is still ongoing.

I'm getting fishermen and other outdoor groups in on the battles to save our state from closure also.

This is the year for everyone that thinks it's someone elses right to speak up to get side by side with us who do to speak up also. Remember you and I get exactly what we do or don't ask for. Period

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're struggling to survive in New York, I might suggest that you pick up a part time job instead of MDing the parks. :wink:

$40 is not much, in light of the amount of money detectors, gear, batteries, gasoline, and gear cost.

What it amounts to is that you see this as another case of Government encroaching on your "rights," or perhaps it's just that you have to pay now and you don't like that. Well let me tell you, it's a compromise--and a darned good one. You still get to do your hobby, it keeps the riff raff jerks that pulled a detector off the WalMart shelves from destroying the parks (so you don't get blamed for that), and it also means less competition for the finds in the parks--since fewer folks will have permits to hunt). :thumbsup:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
jb7487 said:
JB: There you go again.

Again? I didn't realize I had done it before...

And if you can't afford $40 a year for a hobby you enjoy then I just don't really know what to tell you. You might want to try spending more time working to improve your economic condition instead of spending your time out swinging a detector. Even the typical "working stiff" can usually afford $40 a year. Heck, most of them spend that much per week on cigarettes, beer, or dog food and don't bat an eye at it. Oh well, maybe I'm just one of the few "fortunate" ones. Funny, I never thought that I was that fortunate. :wink:
Trust me that you are not one of the 'fortunate ones' ....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions