one predator down (may be gross to some)

sonny61

Sep 9, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Prizm 4, Surfmaster ll

Attachments

• jspn_DSC00066.jpg
    jspn_DSC00066.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 704
  • jspn_DSC00067.jpg
    jspn_DSC00067.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 698

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: one predator down

One less yote.

Hey, my advice, post a little warning in the topic title or someone is gonna get all complainy about the pics.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Re: one predator down

Beginning to see them in the city and getting bolder each day.

(Agree with MJ, a mild warning may be in order)

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted the buggers for years. Still just as many. One of my wife's uncle in Northern New Mexico loses a bunch a sheep to coyotes every year, so...No bleeding heart here.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Looks to me like you might need to adjust your sights / scope up a bit - looks like you almost missed him. :thumbsup:

We've got a couple packs around here - so far they haven't caused any problems in the "neighborhood", so they pretty much have been granted immunity. First time someone loses a calf, or a pet though, I suspect they'll become a locally endangered species.

Diggem'

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
plehbah said:
truckinbutch said:
Job well done . Continue the mission :thumbsup:

What mission is that? Can't we stop beating around the bush and just get to the actual heart of your need for aggression?
Son , I feel that a good calonic would serve you well . Once you get peristalsis stimulated in the way Mother Nature intended there will not be so much waste spewing from your mouth .

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plehbah

your true intent and nature has come to light.

come over here to TN and tell these boys there calves are not being killed and eaten by Yotes. Kind of strange I guess...but have you been in the fields and seen these yotes hunt.

get your facts straight :icon_study:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
plehbah said:
Does anyone here ever look at the coyote scat they encounter? Does anyone here know anything about coyotes, or ever actually encounter them?

Start looking at the scat. Coyotes do not eat cows, or even calves, they eat ground rodents.

I have heard the old debate from ranchers, but let's face it, that is more over land use rights and subsidies than it is the non-reality of hordes of starving coyotes devouring herds of cattle.

Only someone that doesn't know anything about a Coyote or a Coy dog would waste there time writing your misinformed info.

A Coyote is a animal that will run in packs and they don't do that to fight over a rodent. They trap and kill anything that can't out run or out smart them. Calves and Deer fawns are easier prey,because when there born it attracts them and to weak to get away. They also will breed with Stray dogs and they call them Coy dogs and they can even be worse.

Pleblah, if you ever need to witness facts and prove to yourself that you have no clue,come on over and I will show you what life is like on a 300 acre cattle farm.

I had a pack try to corner me one time on a Deer hunt,but with plenty of ammo i won the day. Never offer bad info on a wild animal and make someone think they are friendly creatures because you may get someone hurt.

Nova Treasure

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can still remember when I was a kid.....my Dad used to take us on Sunday rides up into the mountains of eastern Oregon.
Remember one winter, we were riding on the highway, and Dad suddenly stopped, said, "look up the hill." I looked and saw
a pack of coyotes taking down a full-grown deer......had the deer in some deep snow, and they were working it over, pack-style.
I don't hunt them.....because I am in a country that doesn't have them. If I had stock, I would know that they were one
of the enemies of the stock I had, and, like one of the other comments, as long as they left me alone I would leave them alone.
But, first one of my stock that they took down, I'd tell my neighbors, and start packing a rifle in my pickup. Wouldn't hate
them if I killed them......but I'd kill them.
Now, because they are in the dog family, I would like to try to catch a young coyote, and raise it away from its natural habitat,
and see if it would tame down like a regular dog. Be interesting to me to find out. (Some wild cats do, and make swell pets.
Minks don't.......the first conscious thought a mink has it to find something meaty, kill it, and eat it. They DON'T make pets.....
they stay wild.)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
From all of this educated enlightment,those things I've seen chasing my deer and getting the neighbor's drop calves,must actually be cougars in yote clothing,ya think?Whatever they are,I'll continue to do my part to rid my land of the yipping,howling varment.Everyone have a nice day.

Likely Guy

From: http://www.theconservationagency.org/coyotes/coyote_bytes/coyote_bytes.htm

"After three years of leading the Narragansett Bay Coyote study I can definitely say there are two kinds of coyotes: good ones and bad ones. The good ones eat mice, rabbits, woodchucks, geese, deer fawns, and other naturally occurring foods. The bad ones eat Kibbles and Bits, cats, small dogs, and do not run away – and may even approach -when they see you.

A good thing about good coyotes is that, if they are established or live in a pack, they defend their territory and keep out other coyotes. This is important when they are keeping out bad coyotes. If you have good coyotes you want to keep them. Bad coyotes almost always end up being destroyed but not before they visit schoolyards during the day or eat several small pets.

We are not the first folks to realize that good coyotes are worth keeping around. A hunter friend of mine in Pennsylvania asked a farmer if he could hunt coyotes on his property. “Not my coyotes,” said the farmer, “I got good coyotes. If you shoot ‘em I might get bad coyotes.” His good coyotes apparently knew the rules: don’t eat his sheep."

But as Sonny said, "Saw this behind my house this evening near some newborn calves and turkey nests. He won't bother any one else."

Bad Coyote!

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coyotes, like wild hogs will never be eradicated and I have my hands full with both species. Cant keep chickens because of Coyotes and cant plant anything for the deer or turkeys with out the hogs rooting it up. Have got electric fences up to keep deer and hogs out of my garden. And the coyotes running in 2 and 3's close to the house outnumber my outside dogs and are bigger so that has turned out not to be a deterrent. Only way to thin 'em out is by killing them. I know I ain't doing much but I am trying. And I am not a redneck...d2

S

stefen

plehbah said:
Does anyone here ever look at the coyote scat they encounter? Does anyone here know anything about coyotes, or ever actually encounter them?

Start looking at the scat. Coyotes do not eat cows, or even calves, they eat ground rodents.

I have heard the old debate from ranchers, but let's face it, that is more over land use rights and subsidies than it is the non-reality of hordes of starving coyotes devouring herds of cattle.

The sheep herders might have a little more to complain about.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and we will say that you are not mad, nor wanton, but that you were actually protecting something that needed protection.

You do not have to be so damned proud about shooting a dog though.

I've seen coyote scat numerous times, however, I lost 2 dogs, and those in my community have lost numerous cats, dogs, sheep and goats and other pets...none have lost any cattle.

A few years back, several of us were aggressively approached by a pack of coyotes while night riding...a kicking horse is a sight to see...

In fact, a great number of coyotes are now living in urban neighborhoods...and there are reports of coyote attacks on small children playing in their fenced yards...

So yes, there will b e instances where its fitting to thin the population...

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plehbah, my brother. A consumate smart ass and a wizard with the written word. I read everything you type on this forum and would read your books if you have written any and I will not say anything else about this subject on here. Your mind is made up as well as mine. I will agree that we disagree on this subject and you have a great day...d2

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
d2

you got a hog problem and i love hunting hogs and yotes. for your deer in the garden and food plot before they get up try this spray. you put up this white strip and spray the liquid on it every few days or weeks, depending on the heat. works on my bio-logic plots.

Plot Saver
http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0027568.shtml

as for the turkey i hang a bunch of pie plated up in the plot

hope this helps.

tom/tn

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
plehbah said:

The sheep herders might have a little more to complain about.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and we will say that you are not mad, nor wanton, but that you were actually protecting something that needed protection.

You do not have to be so damned proud about shooting a dog though.

Few years ago, 2 ladies walking their dogs.....a pack of coyotes tried attack the dogs on leashes and the ladies walking them.
They are getting too brave for my comfor zone, especially with a new grandson who will be playing in his country backyard in a couple years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread