what to do with them pennies

riverite

Sep 15, 2008
campbell river bc
Detector(s) used
ace250 with sniper coil
I gotta whole load of really bad pennies , any ideas what to do with them , they are not all as bad as the ones in the pic but still pretty nasty . Quarters nickels , dimes are black to cherry red ,how do you usualy get rid of em , do you try and clean them up
mm.JPG

S

stefen

Rebury them in an active hunting spot...say a local playground where you see other MD'ers ...so some other person can find them... and so goes the problem in a circle... ;D

S

stefen

Well, worthless coins is like having a booger on your finger, you either get rid of it or eat it...your choice... ;D

Personally, I'd trash the junk.

B

BIG61AL

I run them through a coin counter at a bank and I got a big jar of the rejects at my house....I was planning to bury them for someone lucky or unlucky to find them. But I am open to better suggestions.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I tumble all mine first, then keep the rotted ones separate. Once I tried running them through the self serve coin counter at the CU. A few went through, then the machine shut off. I had to get a teller to open it up. She picked up a handful of the rotted pennies and said "These must really be old". I laughed and said "No, actually they are newer, thye just rot because they are zinc". She gave me a funny look because she didn't know what I was talking about. She asked if I would not put them in the machine anymore. So, I have a bowl full of them, too.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah now you know what coinstar coin counter machines are for :wink: ;D

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 10 year old son keeps 'em in a jar and told me to post a picture of 'em when it is full ;D

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I've tried every method known to wo-man kind and nothin' worth while, or the effort...UNTIL...I thought of picking up cheap Goodwill tin boxes...fill 'em with the nasty pennies....bury it with a funky handwritten message, like, "Pennies are my way out" I dunno, but sumpin' like that.

save them for a childrens group hunt, charity event...whatever...or for your own mischievous :wink: fun

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Could always send them to the mint for replacement, might get the "new" Lincolns in exchange. :wink:
( I believe the mint will still redeem damaged coins)
(Just noticed your in BC, if they are U.S. coins they may not accept them from outside the U.S.) :icon_scratch:

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
let me zinc about dis one.

maybe create a work of art or sump'n like that.

a rotted penny collage. hmmm.

I have an artist friend who actually could do it.

LD

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grab a GPS and find a local geocache. Leave a jar full of them in it and someone will be thrilled to "discover" it.

scrubber

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a dozen or so to work with you everyday and spend them. Buy a tank of gas and make the total $20.09. Its not hard to get rid of them to the general public.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
^ TOP

I got this off Google:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some coins that were damaged and the bank will not redeem them. What can I do with them?

The Treasury Department has prescribed regulations regarding uncurrent and mutilated coins. Let us explain the difference. Uncurrent coins are whole, but are worn or reduced in weight by natural abrasion. They are easily recognizable as to genuineness and denomination, and they are such that coin sorting and counting machines will accept them. Merchants and commercial banks will generally accept or refuse these coins at their discretion. However, Federal Reserve Banks and branches handle the redemption of uncurrent coins.

Mutilated coins, on the other hand, are coins that are bent, broken, not whole, or fused or melted together. The United States Mint is the only place that handles redemption of mutilated coins, and they should be sent to the Mint at Post Office Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19106.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mick56 said:
Mutilated coins, on the other hand, are coins that are bent, broken, not whole, or fused or melted together. The United States Mint is the only place that handles redemption of mutilated coins, and they should be sent to the Mint at Post Office Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19106.

Uh oh, someone should warn them that they're about to get a bunch of incoming packages from TNet members. I hope they actually reimburse for them and not just say "Thankyou."

Hey, wait a minute? Wouldn't shipping cost more than what you'd get for them?? :dontknow:

scrubber

B

BIG61AL

Shipping cost----hmmm good point

I am thinking banks should be require to cash them in, after all they are acting on the federal reserve bank behalf's by removing damage coins/bills they receive as part of daily business....

B

BIG61AL

Just got this info of the us mint web page.....someone should write a letter and pray they answer it this century to find out exactly the correct procedure

Please send any questions about the history of the United States Mint, specific United States Mint programs or non-product issues to the following:

UNITED STATES MINT
OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
801 9TH STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20220-0001

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions