No UPS = NO SALE, I guess they dont need the money...

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello,

I'm new to this site and metal detecting in general, so I would like to take a moment to say hello to everyone and pose my first question.

I've spent the last 2 weeks doing almost nothing but researching the hobby and the various brands of detectors out there. Finally, I decided on a specific model to buy.

I soon discovered there is one a single dealer in my city, and few others within 2-3 hours of here (Amarillo, TX), and that one place wont answer their phone(!).

As anyone who lives in the South-West knows, not everyone lives in a UPS service area because most of the SW is in the middle of nowhere...

So, I turned to the net and found tons of online sellers, who despite advertising "free shipping", either straight up refuse to ship to a PO BOX or want to charge an arm and a leg for the convenience(1). Why can UPS be free and USPS be so expensive? I would rather buy locally and pay the steep 8.25% state sales tax than pay what amounts to a 20% shipping fee.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue when trying to purchase a detector? I mean, of the dozen or so companies, sellers, and ebay dealers I have asked, most have flat out refused. They don't even try to make some type of compromise or negotiate, rather they leav me with take it or leave it situations everywhere I look.

I am starting to wonder if all online sellers are just clone-sites of one big uber-giant(kellyco/aardvark, for example.), or if the economy is just so awesome now that they simply can't be bothered to work with annoying fringe people like me just to make a single lousy sale.

Has anyone else had this experience? And, if so, what did you finally end up doing to eventually get a detector?

I spend a lot of time reading the posts here and I think this place is great, and very much appreciate the opportunity to participate. Treasurenet is awesome!

I look forward to getting a detector, if someone will sell me one, and posting my finds on here very soon.

Take care and thanks again for sharing all the great stories and comments for me to read for hours and hours!

-EpsilonMinus

K

Kentucky Kache

Maybe you can find one from one of the treasurenet sellers. There are also some good refurbished detectors. Look them up on Google.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cache Crazy said:
Maybe you can find one from one of the treasurenet sellers. There are also some good refurbished detectors. Look them up on Google.
Well, I didn't want to say it, but some of the treasurenet sellers are included, heh. As for refurbished, I have seen some 'deals', but honestly I feel uncomfortable with buying something that's sold as new, but was previously defective/broken/etc..

It's even getting pretty hard to find a decent price on used detectors, especially on ebay, where you have an astonishing amount of people who are more than happy to pay more(!) than new-retail for a used machine, or anything else for that matter.

Maybe this is just a 'newbie' complaint, but I really would prefer to be able to walk into a store, try the stuff out, and meet the seller. Anyway, I thought online sellers were out to compete with local-markets by having the cheaper-cost advantage.

Thanks for the advice though, I will look more into refurbished stuff and try to get over my re-phobia.

-EpsilonMinus

B

Big1011Guy

EpsilonMinus, I bought my Garrett Ace 250 and my Stepdads Garrett Ace 250 from Alexander Enterprises in South Houston, Texas. They Have Been there since 1973.
Billy Kasselman is the owner and is very Helpful and Knowledgeable. I don't no if he carries or can get the Metal Detector you want, but it my be worth a phone call to find out. Tell him That I (Guy McDonald) referred you. I have bought (2) Ace 250's within the last 3 weeks from him.

Here is the Info:
Alexander Enterprises
1101 College Ave.
South Houston, Texas 77587
(713)946-6399
FAX: 713-946-1158
1-800-733-7424
E-Mail: [email protected]

Good Luck, Big1011Guy

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Big1011Guy said:
EpsilonMinus, I bought my Garrett Ace 250 and my Stepdads Garrett Ace 250 from Alexander Enterprises in South Houston, Texas. They Have Been there since 1973.
Billy Kasselman is the owner and is very Helpful and Knowledgeable. I don't no if he carries or can get the Metal Detector you want, but it my be worth a phone call to find out. Tell him That I (Guy McDonald) referred you. I have bought (2) Ace 250's within the last 3 weeks from him.

Thanks, man! Since posting this I have gotten a few messages and leads and I really appreciate the helpfulness of the people here. I am going to save that info and check it out. Thanks again for the help!

-Epsilonminus

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpsilonMinus,
Hi, I'm Ms. Blaze and as you have probably figured out from my username, I work for Kellyco.
I just wanted to jump in here and let you know that we'd be happy to work with you on the PO Box situation if you decided to purchase from us. I know quite a few internet retailers are offering free shipping for UPS and they do that because corporate/business shipping accounts with UPS get discounted shipping rates for a high volume of business. Another factor in this may be the extended length of time it takes to get a claim out of the Post Office if the package is lost or damaged. Regardless, we'd be happy to ship your order to a PO Box via USPS. Yes, there would be a shipping charge, but I can make sure it's reasonable.
If there's anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Ms. Blaze

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpsilonMinus said:
Maybe this is just a 'newbie' complaint, but I really would prefer to be able to walk into a store, try the stuff out, and meet the seller. Anyway, I thought online sellers were out to compete with local-markets by having the cheaper-cost advantage.

This is Not a newbie complaint. I ordered my first detector through the mail--but I will never do so again. I like to be able to talk with someone in person. I like to try out several machines. I also like to have a bit of technical support as I learn a machine--I can call my dealer and ask questions about operating a detector. (Try that with another company--in most cases the folks that make them, design them, pack them, sell them, or ship them, don't even Use the machines!) My local dealer here in KY is competitively priced with anything else I could find--including online or Big Box distributors.

I wouldn't start with a refurbished detector if you can help it.

Most warranties on new detectors are only a few years at most. The Tesoro line of detectors all have lifetime warranties, and I've been quite pleased with the one I own. But the length of the warranty is one way to put your mind at ease.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

K

Kentucky Kache

BuckleBoy said:
Most warranties on new detectors are only a few years at most.
Best Wishes,
Buckleboy

A good reason to go with refurbished. Sometimes it's best to start out small, and cheap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread