Park cop encounter

OP
OP
scrubber

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
<--------That ring was "found" in a jewelry store. Yeah....that's it.....a jewelry store. Which one? Uh, they closed up a while back. I didn't find it in that park....would I lie? :angel5: You guys'll back me up won't ya?.....c'mon you guys....hello....where'd you guys go? :'( No, I'm not fighting you, officer....I like handcuffs. :sad11:

hungry

May 9, 2009
Well over here in Australia, they call it theft through finding. You are supposed to hand it in at the Police Station, and if no one claims it in 3 months, it's yours. LOL.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Thats right! Theft of mislaid property. I was a patrol officer once upon a time. I had a friend, and felllow officer FIRED for picking up and keeping two dollars that he found on the street. After he was fired I picked up every penny I found, did a report, and entered it into evidence. Spent hundreds of dollars in government money on stupidity to prove a point! They told me to stop or they would fire me!

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I didnt spend 2k on gear and stand in the hot sun to give back items i dig up!!If someone ask for my help and i say yes i will help,thats diff.But why would i spend all the money and go crawl around on my knees digging holes to spend more time trying to locate owners of jewelry i find.I tell you some of these laws are so dam screwed up.To many Attornies out there Making crazy laws to drum of work for themselves!!Bunch of ambulance chasers.I wouldnt argue with the guy either,Just tellem what he wants to hear so he will go back to his lousy job!Good luck with the mall cops!

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
I just found out on another thread that here in Texas it is illegal to search for, retreive or return lost property to owners unless you are a licensed private investigator. In other words if someone misplaces their keys and you help them find them, you are (technically) breaking the law.

Seems they have legislated themselves into stupidity. :icon_scratch:

What else is new?

LD

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
ldablo said:
I just found out on another thread that here in Texas it is illegal to search for, retreive or return lost property to owners unless you are a licensed private investigator. In other words if someone misplaces their keys and you help them find them, you are (technically) breaking the law.

Seems they have legislated themselves into stupidity. :icon_scratch:

What else is new?

LD
Know what you mean ....Stop on a NY toll road to help a stranded motorist having maybe a minor problem and see how quickly
a 'Statie' gets there to write you a ticket for offering unfranchised road service .....Only a franchised towing company can help change a
tire ..... for a fee ....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so long as you do not charge or accept money for doing so -- is it still illegal to assist a fellow motorist ? I think that that would be illegal to say you to can not assist a few motorist for "free" ---but due to the "rackets" that some places have set up -- I wouldn't be surprized sadly .

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Here's how to find out the law in your area.
Turn in a found item, cheap ring, bracelet, money clip (with a couple of dollars in it) and get
a receipt and find out the procedure. Typically the police has a policy to give it to the finder
after 90 days (or some such time period). And don't expect them to advertise that they have
found property. After you get the property back you have established the procedure. Then
you have established yourself as law abiding in that previous circumstance. Then any other item
you are found with while detecting you can turn it in and expect (demand) the same treatment
and probably have a judge agree with you if it comes to that. And if someone claims the item,
ask the police how they determined ownership, especially if a friend of yours also claims the
item and has a receipt for its purchase.
Just some random thoughts, hope they help someone.
Rich

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother (TerryC) and I have been MD'ing in Milwaukee city parks for many years. No problems. Several days ago, at South Shore Park, I was passed by police squads several times while I was detecting. Even the park crews cutting the grass didn't mind. I suppose, now and then, someone might be confronted by someone in a bad mood, Super Park Ranger. But for me, so far so good.

TimC

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just tell em --hey, isn't that andy taylor , I hear calling for you.? -- then you best be going.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to dodge much, he only has one bullet. And then there is the time it takes him to load it. No sweat.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Regardless of the how the law/ordinance reads, it says you can't keep what you find, cuz we want it. Bad finger to them I say! Prove it. I will still act as if we live in a democratic republic, as the Constitution created, even though it has become an omnipotent oligarchy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread