Wild Turkeys Will Attack!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I was walking along through a field this evening,looking at my gps in my left hand and carrying my DFX in my right,headin for a cellarhole that i didn't find, when i noticed a baby bird scurrying along in front of me. Just about the time my brain was trying to register what it was and how cute it was i walked right up on a large hen on her nest. She must have been havin a power nap cause i was nearly on top of her before she realized i was there and i tell you what i don't know who was more startled!! ;D
She came up off that nest,wings flappin and just raising caine!! She came after me like Troy Polamalu and I'm sure glad i had the dfx in my hand. I kept walking backwards,keeping her head framed in my 12 inch coil and she pushed me back at least 20 yards before she backed off. I kept tellin her over and over "i ain't gonna hurt your baby,don't make me whack you up the side of the head" LOL I would have loved to have gotten a picture of her framed in my coil but i was concentrating pretty hard on not letting her get around it cause she was really aggressive.I managed a shot of her after she backed off. Never underestimate the fearlessness of a protective mother in the wild! :o
Jerry

Attachments

• turkey.JPG
    turkey.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 594

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign,Ace 250,White's DFX, custom made waterproof detector
Lol.....what part of ohio are you in?

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby has a lot of side benefits. Is it fun or what.

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
Just had a similar thing happen to me on the way home tonight but not nearly as dangerous. Before realizing I was coming a mother goose was crossing the road with her fuzzy babies following with blind faith. Timing was perfect where she was across but babies were in the middle and then she saw me and came at the car hissing and flapping big time and I mean she was close enough where I had to slide over to miss her. It was kind of neat seeing that protective mode kick in when in reality the odds were way in my favor. Of course the babies seemed oblivious to the whole thing. Hmmmm. Thanks mom and dad.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, cool story! I have also walked up on animals, deer and a wild boar once. The boar just pushed through the brush and I am lucky as I had nowhere to go, probably couldn't have defended myself in that thick brush either. HH, Mike

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I read recently that there are actually quite a few deer and turkey attacks in Ohio. They are considered to be more dangerous than bears because they hurt more people each year. And those are just the cases we hear about. I'm glad to hear that you had your MD with you. Otherwise you may be at the hospital getting those pecking holes filled!

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Yes, but they only eat Bush

Attachments

• Turkey eats Bush.jpg
    Turkey eats Bush.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 459

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was attacked by Wild Turkey once, but it wasn't until the morning after it had all disappeared. :tard:

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
MD Dog said:
Really your not that special. I've heard of allot of guys who are Hen pecked while MDing. ;D :wink:
I'm not hen pecked,my wife says so ;D

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
We have a local park here which would put up "Warning, Attack Turkeys" signs every spring.

Apparently some toms (males) would sometimes view people, especially children, as "competition".

:)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
3 critters you never want to meet with their youngins in tow -- gators, wild hogs and bears ---god help you if they think your a threat to their youngins .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
ivan salis said:
3 critters you never want to meet with their youngins in tow -- gators, wild hogs and bears ---god help you if they think your a threat to their youngins .
Add mares with new foals , some beef cows with a new calf , and worst of the bunch : a fighting breed chicken with a newly hatched brood .

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Now you tell me. I have 30+ chickens and roosters. The oldest rooster I raised from an egg; enormous, but very gentle. Eight ducks. Soon to have 2 turkey babies. We've had to "eliminate" a couple of bad-tempered roosters; as soon as they show signs of meanness, they're gone. -Noodle

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noodle said:
Now you tell me. I have 30+ chickens and roosters. The oldest rooster I raised from an egg; enormous, but very gentle. Eight ducks. Soon to have 2 turkey babies. We've had to "eliminate" a couple of bad-tempered roosters; as soon as they show signs of meanness, they're gone. -Noodle

Is that gone, as in fried, broiled, or pied? :evil6:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Shortstack said:
Noodle said:

Is that gone, as in fried, broiled, or pied? :evil6:

LOL As my daughter put it, "mean chickens are no better dead than alive" Unless you like eating rubber bands, they are best off in a soup pot

Diggem'

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mean fighting type chickens being they get no tenderness in life --they give none in death :icon_jokercolor: chicken and dumplings-- aka stewing chickens

once long ago I had a young cook that since I went to shore for some time off --thought he would "do his thing" and make the crew some "fried chicken" for dinner --- instead of the "chicken and dumplings" I told him to make --- besides frying is eazier and more popular he thiought --- of course being it was "chicken and dumplings" I had laid out stewing hens for him to use --poor fool didn't understand the differance. ---- I can back to the vessel and saw the crew in the messhall about anking their teeth out trying to eat his rubbery tough as nails "fried chicken" --- I marched him to the messhall and made him explian to the crew that it was his "ideal" to "change" the menu -- that was the day he learned the differance between frying chickens and stewing hens --- now the salt country ham is a whole differant story --- told him to soak it over night to pull the excess salt out --- needless to say the twit didn't and baked the ham without soaking it first --- which made it so salty you couldn't eat it --- ruined a otherwize lovely salt ham. --- that boy knew nothing about "country cooking" --- he never heard of a "salt" ham before only sweet ones. --sad very sad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions