Asking Permission To Detect Land Owned By Realtors

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
Has anyone ever asked permission from realtors to detect on their land? There is alot of seperate parcels of fields, wooded landed, and some land with old structures that the same real estate company owns that are located by my house. I see no reason why they should really care if I detect on their land besides the issue of liability or property damage, which arent even really issues to consider (I doubt I would get hurt somehow, and I am not bringing a backhoe in to dig either). I have had a few encounters with realtors and it seems that money was their number one priority, so I am not sure if they would give me permission when they are not going to benefit from my request. Any suggestions?

M

michigan michael

Hi there. I just made that call yesterday. I was thinking they would not ever agree to this. I found an old school house building being sold and I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. I called the realtor and found out the woman on the other end of the line detects with her husband. She said she would contact the owner for me and see if we could make this happen. Hopefully her and hubby does not hit it first! :icon_scratch: lol

I would make the call if I were you. May lead to more than just one property. Good luck!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hey Jordan, You have the right idea but the land you want to detect on is
not owned by realtors. They are just the middlelmen between the seller/owner
and potential buyers. So they cannot give you permission. They can ask the
owner and if he says OK they wil relay the permission back to you.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know how this goes. I've got several parcels about a mile away from me that used to be the downtown area of a ghost town. No one really even remembers it being there but I do. The bad part is that the parcels are all owned by a "land development" company. They bought the lots 20 years ago expecting the suburbs to eventually get out that way (and they have). I haven't bothered to even call them because I assume that the answer would just be "no". Maybe I should give it a shot.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Mts, Cold calls rarely get the results you wont. Figure out a way to approach
them about the properties. Are they kept up? Do they have trees that need
trimming? You gotta offer them something to get something back.
On the other side, is the property posted? Do they send security guards
around at night? Put your thinking caps on. Ponder the problem.
I wish I had the situation you guys do.

lastleg

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
lastleg said:
Mts, Cold calls rarely get the results you wont. Figure out a way to approach
them about the properties. Are they kept up? Do they have trees that need
trimming? You gotta offer them something to get something back.
On the other side, is the property posted? Do they send security guards
around at night? Put your thinking caps on. Ponder the problem.
I wish I had the situation you guys do.

lastleg

It doesn't matter if the property is posted. It doesn't matter if they have security guards there at night. That is a great way to get a ticket or arrested. You have to get permission from the owner, period. What fun is it to have to look over your shoulder all the time. Do it the right way, or don't do it at all.

John

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hardy-har-har, I knew this was coming. I never advised either gantlemen
to soil their record with the powers that be. Closed minds never get the
proverbial nectar.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Code:
 Figure out a way to approach them about the properties. Are they kept up? Do they have trees that need trimming? 
You gotta offer them something to get something back.  On the other side, is the property posted?

The property is posted and they actually just bulldozed it all down. Funny story, I think that I am to blame for that. These properties have been sitting there in the exact same state for the past 20 years. I looked at the local auditor's website to try and get the owner information and the parcels came up with errors. I contacted the auditor who told me they would have to check into it because there seemed to be a system glitch. Long story short, the parcel ID's had changed and they hadn't updated the system. Meanwhile, two weeks later, they came out with bulldozers and knocked down all remaining structures (pig/chicken houses and such). I think what happened is that my asking caused the auditor to reavaluate the property. Since there were structures there the taxes were likely increased. The owners decided to bulldoze the structures rather than pay the higher taxes.

I can't come up with any other explanation that seems very likely. These properties sit in the exact same state for 20 years and two weeks after I first inquire about them the owner comes out and cleans them up. I guess they could be getting ready to develop/sell them but that would be a VERY strange coincidence. Anyway, I feel sort of bad about contacting them now if I really am the cause of their recent efforts. Oh well, as you said, cold calling isn't going to give me the desired result. I just don't know what I'd be able to offer in return for the ability to detect these parcels. That's why I'd like to hear how the OP makes out in this regard.

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
My husband is a Realtor and when he lists a house, especially older ones, part of the service he offers is to get a metal dector(ist) (me!) out to their property to check for submerged oil tanks, survey pins prior to a survey being ordered and underground wires.
In the 70's when a lot of people made the switch from oil heat (with underground tanks) to electric heat, they just capped off the tank and kept their mouths shut without informing subsequent owners. Its a huge environmental problem when the tank starts to rust and the remaining oil in the tank leeches out, so this is a really nice service to offer especially in older neighborhoods.

And of course I offer to remove any "metal" and "trash" I find which is always appreciated. ;D

I have found several submerged oil tanks and the problem was dealt with inexpensively and properly. I have also found several pieces of metal and "stuff" which I disposed of also. :thumbsup:

This might be an idea to pursue,
Good Luck!

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I guess I can reply, having been a realtor since 1974 which is two years after I
started metal detecting.
First, realtors love meeting people and being good guys, it is another chance for
a listing or a sale somewhere down the road. It is very cheap advertising for them
to be friendly, be nice and they will respond.
Second, they don't usually own the properties they have listed, but they can check
with the owners for you.
Third, they can usually find the owners of vacant and apparently abandoned properties.
Go for it and good luck,
Rich

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
lastleg said:
Hardy-har-har, I knew this was coming. I never advised either gantlemen
to soil their record with the powers that be. Closed minds never get the
proverbial nectar.

I wasn't preaching, just giving a a friendly hint of advice. You don't detect on private property without permission, period. I don't think that is an issue. Hope you agree.

John

OP
OP
M

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
This morning, I found the website for the real estate company who listed the properties on the internet. There were several different local branches, and I emailed the manager of the branch from the town that the properties were located in. I probably should of called, but I decided to send an email instead because I thought that someone would be more inclined to say no if I called and wasted their time. I figured they could email me when they had a chance to do so. As of right now, I never received a reply, and feel that I will not be getting one either. I'm debating whether I should call them on the phone. I think I will instead try to locate the actual owners through tax records and contact them.

OP
OP
M

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
I would never detect land unless I had permission. Finding a few coins, rusted unrecognizable iron objects, aluminum cans, etc is not worth getting arrested or getting buckshot in the butt.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
When you call the company find out who the listing agent is on that property, that
is the only person who has had much contact with the owner. Most of the other
people will be too busy and expect someone else to call back. Most realtors are
independent contractors and don't want to talk to another agent's clients, it could
cause mis communications. I should have mentioned in my last reply to talk to
the listing agent only.
Good luck
Rich.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Never been Turned down By real estate Companies.

when they were selling For somone else
they also did the Middlework
And ask them For me too

Of course what they did was Contact the
owner tell them what I wanted And
let it up to them whether to contact me.

It has Worked on occasion.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... the office of this land development company is across town. I wonder what would happen if I walked in during business hours (just before lunch) with a nice basket of goodies and asked them if I could detect one of their properties? :wink: That way I could present the office manager with the basket and if they agree have them sign a simple letter saying that it is ok. I'll have to think about this a little harder.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
mts said:
Hmmm... the office of this land development company is across town. I wonder what would happen if I walked in during business hours (just before lunch) with a nice basket of goodies and asked them if I could detect one of their properties? :wink: That way I could present the office manager with the basket and if they agree have them sign a simple letter saying that it is ok. I'll have to think about this a little harder.

Go for it. You sound like a go getter, so get at it. ;D Just remember, have them get the owners permission. Without permission from the legal owner, it won't be any fun. Unless you are the kind that likes to flirt with danger :o Good luck.

John

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Good luck, Mts

No fruit, no flowers, a large woven basket filled with an assortment of nuts,
figs maybe, a peanut jar filled with dirty zincolns ought to do the trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread