Do you have competing hobbies/activities to your MDing???

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Re: Do you have competing hobbies/activities to your MD'ing???

To many irons in the fire syndrome. Surfing, fishing, camping, metal detecting, raising kids, yard work, my job. Its a full plate. I like to mix it up when possible, take the detector to the beach when surfing or camping, even take it fishing, if it gets slow I've detected old areas up on the bank.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II

Yep, amateur radio and custom BBQ.

If it's raining outside I do radio, if I'm hungry for BBQ or a compitetion is coming up I cook, the rest of the time I go swinging...

Grip

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Gary in Pennsylvania said:
-
My time is limited enough as it is - and I DO have competing hobbies/activities.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Gary (torn) in Pennsylvania

Gary, I pretty much quit watching TV when it went to color. And that simple little act opened up an unbelievable amount of time for me!

Metal detecting, softball three times a week, biking, fishing, music collecting (obscure sixties and really bad country), reading, photography, old-time radio acting, writing two books, doing a podcast every week....The list is interminable. All thanks to pulling the plug on the television set.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I have my 2 girls, the girlfriend has a boy and a girl, they are all between 10 and 14 years old. Between fishing with the boy and doing things that the girls enjoy I don't get near as much time to myself as I would like. Every once in a while I just take off by myself and go detecting or fishing but then I am usually in the doghouse with one or more of them (usually the GF LOL). The kids like to go with me but I usually end up helping them out so much I don't get to fish or find anything for myself. I know it sounds kinda selfish but there are just those times I need to get away from everyone and go by myself. So far this year I have only got to go detecting and fishing (by my self) once each.

So to answer your question YES! Life gets in the way all the time but I wouldn't trade mine for anyones.

HH Charlie

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Charlie, perhaps you could explain to your girlfriend that by taking private time off to recharge your batteries, so to speak, the time you spend with her and the kids is of higher quality than when you are tired or itching to get away for yourself.

She gives you some time, you give her and the kids more attention when you are together.

One other point - either you must be really cool, or the kids are, because most kids that age don't want anything to do with adults!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Nothing that really competes.
The other hobbies are just things to keep my mind occupied while I am unable to persue other things.
There are certain things that take priority ove all hobbies like family (grandkids, wife, children etc)
everything in it's own time...
What ever I feel like doing at the time, LOL.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

danhughes1 said:
Charlie, perhaps you could explain to your girlfriend that by taking private time off to recharge your batteries, so to speak, the time you spend with her and the kids is of higher quality than when you are tired or itching to get away for yourself.

She gives you some time, you give her and the kids more attention when you are together.

One other point - either you must be really cool, or the kids are, because most kids that age don't want anything to do with adults!

I'll tell ya' what Dan...YOU try to explain that (or anything else) to HER...LOL. As for being cool, I like to think I am, but mostly kids just love attention so they really aren't that hard to get along with. I get really frustrated trying to go to a movie that everyone will like though so fishing, volleyball, walking the river banks fossil hunting, etc... those types of things are usually fun for all and inexpensive too. Spending the day with a cooler full of snacks and sodas for $20 at the river beats $80 at the theatre any day.

Charlie

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

savant365 said:
danhughes1 said:

I'll tell ya' what Dan...YOU try to explain that (or anything else) to HER...LOL. As for being cool, I like to think I am, but mostly kids just love attention so they really aren't that hard to get along with. I get really frustrated trying to go to a movie that everyone will like though so fishing, volleyball, walking the river banks fossil hunting, etc... those types of things are usually fun for all and inexpensive too. Spending the day with a cooler full of snacks and sodas for $20 at the river beats $80 at the theatre any day.

Charlie

Lots cheeper than a shrink.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Charlie, maybe it's time for a new girlfriend. This one sounds too controlling and self-centered.

Hey, who'd have thought we'd have a Dear Abby discussion on the treasure board?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

danhughes1 said:
Charlie, maybe it's time for a new girlfriend. This one sounds too controlling and self-centered.

Hey, who'd have thought we'd have a Dear Abby discussion on the treasure board?

LOL, nah she's a keeper. She was just never much of an outdoors type but she's coming around. Besides I have spent 2 years breaking her in, I don't want to go through that again anytime soon. :thumbsup:

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device

Yep, Here's mine..... :icon_thumleft: More fun than finding a Wheaty! :thumbsup: More powerful than a Prizm III! :icon_scratch: Less gas than a Smart car! :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• DSC00151.JPG
    DSC00151.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 284

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

<------------ Avatar says it all. Detecting turns into bowhunting, into trapping, back into detecting with some fishing and coin collecting and Harley riding thrown in. Luckily my wife is forgiving and lets me go from one hobby to another. I'd go stir crazy sitting around doing nothing. (plus I work two jobs)

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Ditto on the two job thing! Obligations aside, I like to hunt, fish, and play with my 3yr old. Probably ought to mention my 19 and 15yr old too! Many other things... I'd like to find more time for ALL of them!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lets see: Hobby farm on 20 acres with 42 chickens, 18 rabbits, five turkeys. Three large garden plots (about 5,400 sq ft). I monkey around with a '56 Ford 640 tractor. 31 ft sailboat, two kayaks, love to fish (fly-fish (tie my own) and spinning/jigs) and hunt (bowhunt (make my own cedar wood & turkey feather fletched arrows) & muzzleloading (cast my own lead balls)). Bicycling, hiking (gave up backpacking/camping when we got into sailboats some years ago). Radio controlled airplanes (build and fly . . . then rebuild). Homebrew beer. Boil maple syrup in the spring and make gallons and gallons of sauerkraut in the fall. Read a lot. Sit at a computer nights.

Yeah, it cuts into detecting time a bit. Luckily, we don't get much TV reception and that frees up a LOT of time.

As R.A. Heinlein said: "Insects specialize".

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

.........I use to rebuild Go Karts but my neighborhood has some strict restrictions on them........so decided to rebuild a 1987 Chevy Blazer.........it is a small SUV....................but with the fold down back seat it can hold a lot of camping gear plus about 4 or 5 detectors........so far rebuilt the engine, transmission.........brakes........and repainted the body .........tore out most of the interior so rebuilt the dash...........and need to redo the interior doors,................also currently rebuilding the glove box and the radio...........ON the radio......I will probably install something a bit more up to date..............................it had 4 new tires.............but son needed a graduation present so...........HAPPY GRADUATION .....SON........................expensive hobby and also takes a lot of time..........next time ..................it will be a JEEP...................LOL.............

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

Good thread! Interesting - because I believe everything is inter-related.
:icon_thumleft:

I like hiking, geology, gold panning, nature photography, hunting for
gems and meteorites . . . well, all these things can be complimentary,
not necessarily competing with each other.

:walk:
What I do is load up the back of the car with all sorts of hobby
equipment, and when I get to a destination, if the metal
detecting is not paying off, I can switch to photography
or what-ever!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread