Treasure leads

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Many neighbors have wandered over in my little town in Oklahoma after seeing me out in the yard with my detectors. In almost every instance, they ask me if I would be interested in hunting different spots. Invariably, there is a story of some crazy old recluse who hoarded gold coins. I may take these folks up on it, provided the property in question is actually theirs.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

K

Kentucky Kache

It happens a lot. Sometimes just mentioning how folks use to hide/bury their money will get people talking. I would take some of them up on the offers. If nothing else, you'll enjoy the hunts.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I probably will, but I really do not want to get wrapped up in legal annoyances if I do happen to find a cache of lost gold.

K

Kentucky Kache

I have a contract (blank) I can scan and post if you're interested. I won't be home until later this evening.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't know about your area (Texas), but where I'm at, those stories are a dime a dozen. Especially the stories of "back in Mexico I know where a treasure is", are quite common. But when you press them for details, it's always someone who told someone who told someone who told someone, etc..... People want so hard to believe (lest they be "left out") that the human mind begins to take any such folklore like this as absolute fact (simply because my great uncle bob heard it from a reliable source 50 yrs. ago blah blah blah).

After 35-ish years of this, I've gotten to where the only such buried treasure leads I will hunt for, are the first hand stuff. Not the "I think" stuff, or something someone read out of a treasure legend book, or other such local folklore. It's got to be first-hand, not "someone who told someone that somewhere in that 10000 acres is a sure-fire-pot-of-gold type stuff. ::)

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Well, one guy who is a likeably shady character was telling me about this one...and he wanted 50% of whatever I found. I said fine, I detect, you dig.

He was not interested, and said that he should get a "finders fee" just for telling me. I then asked him who owned the property, and if it was ok to hunt there. He then tells me that we would have to go on a weekend when the owners were not home...NOT INTERESTED.

He then asked me if I wanted to know where an abandoned cemetery was. Shudder. Sad thing is, where I live in Oklahoma there are plenty of documented historical accounts of various stage and train and bank robberies that resulted in all outlaws murdelized, and no gold recovered.....

K

Kentucky Kache

Tom_in_CA said:
I don't know about your area (Texas), but where I'm at, those stories are a dime a dozen. Especially the stories of "back in Mexico I know where a treasure is", are quite common. But when you press them for details, it's always someone who told someone who told someone who told someone, etc..... People want so hard to believe (lest they be "left out") that the human mind begins to take any such folklore like this as absolute fact (simply because my great uncle bob heard it from a reliable source 50 yrs. ago blah blah blah).

After 35-ish years of this, I've gotten to where the only such buried treasure leads I will hunt for, are the first hand stuff. Not the "I think" stuff, or something someone read out of a treasure legend book, or other such local folklore. It's got to be first-hand, not "someone who told someone that somewhere in that 10000 acres is a sure-fire-pot-of-gold type stuff. ::)

I agree with that, but if you don't at least listen, you won't know whether to believe or not. And you don't necessarily have to believe all the stories to get out and have a good time searching.

Here is that contract.

Attachments

• scan.JPG
    scan.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 289

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
What kind of idiot would tell someone where a treasure is and stand around watching everyone collect it? :laughing7: I would take them up on the hunt because you're probably going to get a great hunting ground out of it, but as for the old buried treasure tales I would not expect to find anything more than normal and if I did that would be just fine too. People did bury money back in the day...it could happen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread