What Detector Should I get

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Right now I have a 11 year old Garrett GTAx1000. It's good but the pinpoint isn't as accurate as I like. I just ordered a Garrett Pinpointer but haven't received it yet. Now my 10 year old daughter wants to do some THing. She can have my machine I have now.
I mostly use it doing old places, beaches and parks. I'm looking for some advice on other machines. I've been looking at these models and want to narrow it down.
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites DFX 300, Whites DFX.
I'd rather pay alittle more and get more bells & whistles.
I know there is a review site but would like to hear some thoughts.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My 2-cents . . .
Those are ALL excellent choices.
Once you get up into what I call The Big Money, it's hard to go wrong,
as you get lots of quality.
Not sure, but isn't the Infinium more for beaches?
(Yeah, it is)

People I know who have the DFX really love it.
The fellow I go hunting with most often has one
and he seems to find more than I do with my MXT.
The DFX goes deep and the notch filtering really helps you
tune out the pull-tabs.

Good luck. 8)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronzie, if you are going to fork out the bucks for the DFX...take a look at the minelabs. My next machine will be a minelab. I like my XLT but always looking for something better.

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

SC_hunter said:
Ronzie, if you are going to fork out the bucks for the DFX...take a look at the minelabs. My next machine will be a minelab. I like my XLT but always looking for something better.

I checked out the Minelabs and read alot of reviews. I really like all the positive feedback on the Explorer SE Professional. It seems to be up my alley sort of speak.
I think it's down to the Garrett GTI 2500 and the Minelab Explorer SE Professional.
With Garrett I've got the best customer service I've ever had. Phoned in for new battery holders and they shipped them that very day, free.
Just received my Garrett Pro-Pointer in the mail right now as I'm typing this, and it's raining.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronzie said:
SC_hunter said:

I checked out the Minelabs and read alot of reviews. I really like all the positive feedback on the Explorer SE Professional. It seems to be up my alley sort of speak.
I think it's down to the Garrett GTI 2500 and the Minelab Explorer SE Professional.
With Garrett I've got the best customer service I've ever had. Phoned in for new battery holders and they shipped them that very day, free.
Just received my Garrett Pro-Pointer in the mail right now as I'm typing this, and it's raining.

You can also get the Treasure Hound two box adapter for the Garrett GTI 2500 if you ever need to go for the deep caches. :thumbsup:

GG~

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronzie said:
With Garrett I've got the best customer service I've ever had.

Just remember... Customer service doesn't make the great finds. The machine / user does. I've hunted next to several garretts and they don't find squat in parks in relation to other machines. I remember me showing them countless deep, obvious coin signals, and they never registered on their machines.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bscofield6 said:
Ronzie said:

Just remember... Customer service doesn't make the great finds. The machine / user does. I've hunted next to several garretts and they don't find squat in parks in relation to other machines. I remember me showing them countless deep, obvious coin signals, and they never registered on their machines.

I can only second that. Having owned a Garrett GTI 2500 myself I also know that from hands down experience. :dontknow:
I would suggest the Explorer, but that is because it's my favourite today. :D

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

Ankh said:
You will love the Garrett Pro Pointer :headbang:

Your right, I love it. Sure made me cover more ground and less time digging.
Didn't find much today, just newer coins. I found a 1954 penny at 8" with my GTAx1000.

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

bscofield6 said:
Ronzie said:

Your right there. I talked to a dealer about these 2 machines and he said hands down you'll love and find more with the Minelab Explorer SE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread