I think I may be on to something!

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Going over some maps from 1913 I saw where a homestead used to be, and it isn't too far from my house.

Well, I figured a LOT has changed since 1913 so I went out to Google Earth to see what was there now... Google Earth showed that the area, as of 2007, was basically farm fields. So I drove out this afternoon to see if the fields were now houses.

As I was driving in my hopes were not really high since a lot of what I saw as open land on Google Earth was now housing developments or commercial property in the works of being developed.

Once I made the hard right turn on the county road I was on I realized that what I had first seen on the old topo map and the internet was still farm land!

I drove to the spot that showed on the map to be directly in front of the old home and began walking into the recently harvested wheat field. I know most of you won't care, but the smell of the recently harvested wheat brought back some really great memories from my childhood, it's something I just cannot describe here.

As I walked into the field I started seeing "stuff" within the rows. Little things like glass, porcelain, and pottery... I collected a few of the items to study once I got home. After looking them over, I think I need to detect here.... What do you think?

I now have a name for the land owner and have a call into her... I just hope I'm a good enough salesperson for her to allow me to hunt her field after they plow under the wheat stalk still standing!

chips.jpg

Grip

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this your first time doing this?

It is generally very easy to get permission to detect in a farm field.

My buddies and I will just take an old map with us up and down the country roads, see where a house once was, and located the nearest farm house and start asking questions. If they don't own it, they almost always know who does.

Then just be nice and ask permission. :) Don't mention anything about sharing finds, etc. I very rarely even have a farmer curious enough to want to see the finds.

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
HI there.

Nope, not the first time, just the first time with this landowner. She is a bit persnickety... I've known her since I was in grade school, but she has always been a PITA. She threatened to shoot some boys one time for harvesting her crop AFTER she paid them to do so... She said she didn't recognize the combine, I'm sure it was the boy's faults for having a new JD that year instead of the old Gleaner... :D

She has to be approached easily and my guess is she'll be more than happy to have me out there, but you never know with some.

I appreciate the info though! :icon_thumright:

Grip

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
She's probably a very lonely old lady.

Show up with a hand full of flowers and a Bing Crosby album when you ask.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Coupla things. . .

1. Go for it!! Be polite.
I think you may have stumbled upon a gold mine. :hello2:

2. That's what I call doing research, and it's a sure-fire formula for success.
:icon_thumleft:

digdeep38

Greenie
Aug 30, 2007
How do you go about getting your hands on old land maps? I stumbled across and old foundation of a home and a barn that is still standing back in the middle of the woods, many miles from any road. The only access to this place is by foot (or 4-wheeler). I'd like to research this place to find out more about it's history, and I'd also like to find out who currently owns the land it's on.

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
digdeep38 said:
How do you go about getting your hands on old land maps? I stumbled across and old foundation of a home and a barn that is still standing back in the middle of the woods, many miles from any road. The only access to this place is by foot (or 4-wheeler). I'd like to research this place to find out more about it's history, and I'd also like to find out who currently owns the land it's on.

You can find the old maps in some of the larger libraries in the local area, and sometimes you can buy them online.

As for finding the owner now, look at the local county (parish) tax rolls for the name and address of the current owner.

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
UncleVinnys said:
Coupla things. . .

1. Go for it!! Be polite.
I think you may have stumbled upon a gold mine. :hello2:

2. That's what I call doing research, and it's a sure-fire formula for success.
:icon_thumleft:

We are a go for detecting!!! :headbang:

I was informed that the field would be plowed under sometime in the next couple of weeks and to keep my eye on it and go detect whenever I'm ready. I can also fish in the pond over on the other side of the field!

She was impressed that I asked about going onto her property, she told me that most of the time she has to call the law to have folks run off. I offered to put up some private property/no trespassing signs for her in exchange for her generosity at letting me detect. I have the signs in the garage waiting!

Now I just have to get the schedule arranged to get out there!

Grip

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I went to a field in Ohio. If you guys ever read my posts then you must know what Ive found. But the coal company bot some of the land. So i didint ask permission because my dad surveys there so if they give me crap then you'll me looking at a badge in your face. " This is field 19 request survey from AIM coal company and I'm looking for artifacts and pins and corners for this survey" " If you do not leave we will take you into custody for trespassing on your 'once yours' property" Have i nice day" and thats what ill say! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread