WHY DO COINS BURY THEMSELVES?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    HISSSSSSSSSSS.....

May 2009
    northern michigan,USA
    treasure hunterxj9-3050
    1 times

WHY DO COINS BURY THEMSELVES?

i was wondering why coins bury themselves over time,when rocks are usually pushed to the surface from the frost and the freezing durring the winter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00870.JPG 
Views:	756 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	304622  
    what comes around,goes around.

Feb 2008
    636 times

Re: WHY DO COINS BURY THEMSELVES?

Gravity

um
    Feb 2007
    Please don't yell !
    10 times

I've tried to explain this phenomenon before but some people are stuck on weird science. It all has to do with density. each type of coin has a specific density as does the soil it falls on. Once it penetrates the grass roots area this plays more prominently into the system. The coin will reach a place within the soil matrix where it's same specific density is reached. this same system can be demonstrated with liquids using liquids of varying densities differing densities will create separate layers. If you pour a liquid into this layered environment all will be mixed for a short period but it will al settle out again into separate layers with the added liquid seeking out a similar density level as its self. If none are found it will form a new level. So it is a coin dropped onto the soil will sink until the surrounding soil equall its specific density. As to why stones are forced to the top from a frost freeze action. It is the same. Although most stones are harder than surrounding soil the relative density can be less.
    http://www.thegoldenolde.com

us
    Dec 2008
    Texas
    Bounty Hunter Outback
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by MD Dog
    I've tried to explain this phenomenon before but some people are stuck on weird science. It all has to do with density. each type of coin has a specific density as does the soil it falls on. Once it penetrates the grass roots area this plays more prominently into the system. The coin will reach a place within the soil matrix where it's same specific density is reached. this same system can be demonstrated with liquids using liquids of varying densities differing densities will create separate layers. If you pour a liquid into this layered environment all will be mixed for a short period but it will al settle out again into separate layers with the added liquid seeking out a similar density level as its self. If none are found it will form a new level. So it is a coin dropped onto the soil will sink until the surrounding soil equall its specific density. As to why stones are forced to the top from a frost freeze action. It is the same. Although most stones are harder than surrounding soil the relative density can be less.
    Huh?

Feb 2008
    636 times

I think he was explaining how gravity works. Any object with
    weight will sink until it reaches a layer of density that keeps the
    object from sinking farther.
    Natural gold is extremely dense. When you pan for color the
    gravel looks much denser to the eye but when you keep bumping
    the pan while you allow the lighter sands and gravel to run over
    the riffles even the ultra fine particles of gold will settle under
    everything else.
    Sometimes coins, unless they are on edge, won't get very far
    down but every year the soil above is being replenished with dust,
    plant matter and leaf mulch. The longer in the ground the deeper
    they get without any external force.
    You can easily see this by looking at old sidewalks or curbs. The
    ground level eventually gets several inches above the paved layer.

um
    Feb 2007
    Please don't yell !
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by jlb783
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Dog
    Huh?
    Try it your self, try using different coins and different liquids with different densities. Like oils of different types and Honey and syrups etc. You'll see them set up layers, then toss a coin in and see if it sinks all the way to the bottom or if you have a liquid that is just as dense as the coin, it will stop at that layer. Same thing with stones or rocks, at least until the bigger rocks reach the upper four feet in a frost zone, then it can be both moved up and or down in the soil matrix at varying points of time throughout the year.

um
    Feb 2007
    Please don't yell !
    10 times

I wont try to discuss the relationships between sizes and weights.

Feb 2008
    636 times

MD: Have you experimented with clad vs silver in the heavy
    syrup/honey test. I think that would be interesting for all to
    hear about.

se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
    2095 times
    Prospecting

MD Dog,
    Wow I always thought the coins felt a bit "down".
    J/K.

Now but seriously I think you got it quite right.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

Feb 2008
    636 times

Uh-oh, MD, we forgot to take the specific gravity of gasses
    into the formula. This may take all day.

um
    Feb 2007
    Please don't yell !
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by lastleg
    MD: Have you experimented with clad vs silver in the heavy
    syrup/honey test. I think that would be interesting for all to
    hear about.
    nope sure haven't, but it does sound like an interesting thing to experiment with.

um
    Feb 2007
    Please don't yell !
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by lastleg
    Uh-oh, MD, we forgot to take the specific gravity of gasses
    into the formula. This may take all day.
    Feel free to work on that last leg. Me I don't really care but just like to hunt them and dig them up.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10063 times
    Banner Finds (4)

MD-dog, I got the chance a few years ago, to see this first-hand, in a perfectly stratified park-scrape in a late-1800s San Francisco park. They were scraping to make ready for astro-turf, and it was a rare occasion to be in on various levels of the scrape. The park was essentially un-hunted, because it was in a blighted neighborhood that local md'rs avoid (tending to go to the cleaner upscale parks, unless they want to punish themselves with clad and wino-caps).

The top 6" was very stratified: Ie.: clad within the top several inches, '50s/60s coins starting at 4 to 5", '40s losses at 6" or so, '20s/'30s losses at 7", etc... What was interesting, is that ........ if a person were merely to look at the age verses depth speed, of the top few decades, he could assume that ........ if that speed of burial continued, then by logical conclusion, a coin that was 100 yrs. old, would be a foot or more, right? But we noticed that once the scrape got down to 10" to 12" deep, where we could dig un-disturbed coins (which were now very shallow d/t the scrape), we could see that barbers lost in the teens, and seateds lost in the 1870s, were nearly identical in depth (with maybe a slight 1" difference). That meant that once coins got to a certain depth, the sinkage rate slowed and then, I guess, stops. Below a certain point (when the scrapes got to 1.5 ft. or whatever), the soil was completely sterile. So yes, there does seem to be a point where, in un-disturbed turf, coins tend to slow and stop their depth drop.

um
    Feb 2007
    Please don't yell !
    10 times

That's awesome Tom I wish you could have gotten pics it would have been really cool to be able to see it demonstrated in that way. Thanks for the post non the less, I'm just jealous I didn't get to see that.

Nov 2007
    Largo, Florida
    Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
    872 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

But then you have to take in account of wind, water, etc., erosion, removing the upper layer. Personally, I think that they are just self conscious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links