New to this site........ it is awsome!

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Hi everybody,
Wow, this is a very cool site! I started metal detecting back in about 1988. I moved and restored a log house to a woods along side the "Great Trail" in the Minerva Ohio area. There is an old story about "the lost french gold" burried along the trail in that area. (That is another long story for another time).

Anyway, I decided to get a detector and check my property. I sent away for a Garrette GTA1000 which was "state of the art" in those days, just below a Whites. About 20 minutes out of the box with my first set of batteries, I found the rusted remains of an old black powder pistol. OMG......I was hooked!

I metal detected every weekend in many different areas of Ohio, but mostly N.E. for about 6 or 7 years. I have hundreds of silver coins I have found, lots of rings, pocket knives.....you know, the "old stuff" we all have that is of no value, but really, really cool and can't be thrown away....lol

Anyway, life sorta got in the way of metal detecting. I moved, got a new job etc. We bought an 1886 Victorian that was about to be bull dozed and badly in need of restoration. I spent 5 years working on it from top to bottom...and it is now finished!

Last weekend, I was cleaning the garage. Sitting there waiting patiently in the corner was the ol' Garrette. I sorta got the bug again.....so I started searching the web. I found this site, and it has "blown on the embers" just reading about all those finds. The embers are now a bond fire! I just gotta get back into it again!!

My wife and I will be leaving on vacation to Virginia next week (Staunton area) and I think I will definetely throw the old detector in the car. I also think I will start looking for a new detector. I have no idea how far the technology has come, but I bet quite a ways! Keep posting everybody, I am reading as fast as I can!

Tim (Bolivar, Ohio)

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, welcome here and welcome back to metal detecting. How much has the hobby advanced?? Some say tons others say, not much. You will, I think, have lots of fun, "catching" up. Good Luck.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
YES! It's the best site on the Web for Treasure Hunting! :hello2:
And they have a great magazine too (W&E Treasures).

You will find the people here are VERY friendly, helpful, :read2:
and most of all knowledgeable, so any time you have a question :thumbsup:
or concern, just post it.

One suggestion: Do NOT talk politics, because all the
friends you USED to have will suddenly turn vicious, ha, ha! :icon_thumleft:

And WELCOME to the site! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
deepbeep

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Oh no.......are they Democrats? :read2:

Ok....stop.......I'm just kidding! If I offended you, relax and rest assured, I will, at some time offend each and every one of your enemies, and you will be the one getting a chuckle out of it that time....lol

And....you are right, western and eastern treasure is a great mag. I used to get it back in the day!

Peep!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stay in the "Our Discoveries" portion, and you'll be fine. Kidding, kinda. Welcome, you are gonna meet some various nice and knowledgeable people, except me, who can never, ever, type knowledgeable correctly.
Carl
And go easy on the "smileys"

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to the greatest pasttime in the world. Hope to see you posting your finds soon.....Matt

OP
OP
deepbeep

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Thanks for all the welcomes! I will be going out again today if I can come up with an idea where. I will post any good finds.

Thanks again, Tim (db)

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
deepbeep said:
Thanks for all the welcomes! I will be going out again today if I can come up with an idea where. I will post any good finds.

Thanks again, Tim (db)
Welcome ... There's near 36,000 people on this site last I looked . We got so many ways that you just have to like some of them ....... ;D

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Welcome to T-Net...I have learned so many things just from reading the posts...It is an awesome forum site...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions