what pin pointer do you use

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
I had an El Dorado with the manual ground balance and found that I never used a pinpointer. I do have one but I took the batteries out. Your pinpointing with the ED is great. The problem you have is determining the depth of the target. Most of the time the loudness of the tone will give you an indication, but I have had a loud strong signal at 10" from an aluminum 1" nail. So, be ready to dig. If you have the regular spider coil there in AZ then I would suggest you try and get a DD coil to handle the mineralization. Check that ground balance every few feet you travel. It is a great detector. To answer your original question I have a Whites 120mm pinpointer.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites pin pointer. I used a whites pin pointer. Why because it came with my detector. Now I saving cans so I can buy something different as I lost my other one in the woods...Matt

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into Sunray pinpointers! They are incredible. They run off the batteries of you MD. they attach to your MD. (no more losing in the woods). They also use the same audio and visual displays as your MD. That is because you actually attach them into the system of your MD and when you want to pinpoint you flip a switch and you flip from coil to pinpointer.

I took me 5 minute to install mine.

They are a bit pricey but I would live with out mine!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I got a Garrett Pro-Pointer a few weeks ago and love it. Sure saving lots of time.
I have heard great things from the people who have the Sunray pinpointer just like Piercesdad said above.

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I have had a few cheap pinpointers one was a bounty hunter, it worked OK.
The pinpointer I have now is the Garrett Pro-Pointer the thing is built to last.
It body seems to be one molded piece of heavy plastic the battery cover
screws on and has an O ring to keep moisture out.
There is no tuning just one button to turn it on and off, the button is a rubber
button like on a maglite flashlight.
It also has a small LED flashlight built into it, I ordered it from Kellyco and it came with
a nice pouch a plastic digging tool and a coin probe the digging tool is pretty good and
hasn't broken yet. I dropped the battery cover into some thick brush near a stream while changing the battery
and Garrett gave me a new one no questions.
I like it.
Joe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor Freight "metal detector" , $15.99 full retail but sometimes as low as $13.99. I had several and gave a few of them away and still have two left. Every bit as good as my former name brand $200+ that quit working. Monty

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Vibraprobe 570... because the battery life literally last FOREVER!
I primarily prefer it though, because between it's vibration alert and my headphones, no one ever notices when I'm around and finding targets. :wink:

I'm planning on picking up one or two of the Cen-Tech pinpointers sometime that Monty mentioned for 15 bucks from Harbor Freight.
The amazing price would make them great as a backup pinpointer.
Check 'em out...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

Bran <><

BillW313

Mar 13, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III Garrett's GTP 1350
I also use the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight. At $14.95, the price is too good to pass up. As I use my GTP 1350 more and more I have gotten pretty good with pinpointing and don't have to rely on the Cen-Tech as often.

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vibra Probe 570. This is my 2nd year with it. Battery last forever in them. Love it. has a nice case to hang on your belt . For 20 yrs just used the detector, now I go out and feel naked if I do not have it on me. Sure saves time looking for the coin. Shane

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks alot for everyones input an advice think I'll be getting the Garret thanks everyone :thumbsup:

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I have a Detect Pro "pistol probe" and never liked it. Too big, light duty construction, and has low volume with no volume control. I couldn't hear it with earphones on.
Gave it up for the Garrett Pro Pointer and I love it! Heavy duty construction, loud volume and it vibrates for those of us that are deaf with earphones on. I get about 3" depth with fresh batteries. Just about perfect!
The only better pin pointer might be then Sunray.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Still using my cheapy, cen tech. Its had a birthday and still keeps on working. Does everything I need it to do. Max depth is 1.5 inches. Had to reglue the tip, thats the one and only problem.

I use a 1266X to pinpoint! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Seriously though, I recommend everyone to try to perfect their pin pointing feature on their metal detectors. Say if you have a signal that indicates 6 inches and you have an 8' plug dug and it is still reading straight down, then loosen the dirt around the edges of the hole. I have had buddies call me over to help with recovery and they already have a hole over a foot deep. I come over, try the hole and tell them "It's on that edge" and they dig the edge to find the target was only 4 inches deep! If you feel like you are digging forever and it's still down there and yet the signal wasn't that deep, then without a doubt it is on the edge.
I'm not against probes, and have no problem with people using them. I just want everyone to get to "know" their machines better.
Good luck to all.
Dave.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Muddyhandz said:
I recommend everyone to try to perfect their pin pointing feature on their metal detectors.

I agree 100%....however, after three detached retina operations and a cataract operation, it is almost impossible for me to detect without a pin pointer. Sometimes, you just gotta have one.

F

Felinepeachy

I've had two Bullseye's II and I came to the conclusion that they are junk. They work fine for a while but are cheap and break easy. They don't last long. (Sorry Whites) Then for a while I had a Vibraprobe 570. That pinpointer is great and very durable but I found that it was hard to shove in my back pocket because the handle is a big fat one and it's grip is rubbery and doesn't slide in your back pocket very easy. I finally broke down and bought a Sunray DX-1 probe for the MXT. It's awesome and I absolutely love it. You never have to worry about losing it either because it stays attached to your metal detector. :icon_thumleft:

davew0710 said:
Muddyhandz said:
I recommend everyone to try to perfect their pin pointing feature on their metal detectors.

I agree 100%....however, after three detached retina operations and a cataract operation, it is almost impossible for me to detect without a pin pointer. Sometimes, you just gotta have one.

I get your drift. Also thanks for pointing out these things that I failed to think about. Glad to see that you are still goin' strong!
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread