mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver you can sell for scrap price. Rings you need to check for the best prices or advertise them for sell. But first find out what they weigh and then figure out the scrap gold price and ask for a little bit more....Matt

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Well, you should try to learn some things about silver, gold, collectible coins and jewelry before selling your finds. Judging the value of your finds will get easier with time. If the coins are not showing a date, they are only good for the bullion value, that is, unless you want a better return on those coins. The way to get the most value from your worn out coins is to use them in various jewelry items, such as keychains, moneyclips, necklaces, and anything else you can create for resale.

Ask around about anyone in your area buying metal. Many jewelry stores and coin shops buy precious metals. But, like I said, learn about values of metals or you may not get what you deserve for your stuff. Also, never send your metal through the mail to those advertisers on TV(IMHO).

Good luck! HH

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tv station locally (Seattle, WA area) recently did a story about selling jewelry items. They took items in to a number of jewelry stores and pawn shops. Surprisingly, pawn shops consistently offered more for them. :icon_scratch:

scrubber

My friend uses an acid solution that is referred to "Nick a date" or "Raise a date" or something like that. I know he uses it on Buff's, V nickles, copper, etc. I don't know if you can use it on silver.
I would be absolutely sure that the date is completely invisible before using this process. You wouldn't want to ruin a coin that is readable. You never know, one of those dateless coins could be a key date.
I'm sure someone here knows what this chemical is called.
Dave.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...............If you need the money.....I would sell the scrap silver and gold to your local pawn shop!!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep them all, too. (along with all my scrap and unidentified items). I can't seem to get rid of any of them

(exception: We have sold raw gold - we have a jewelry store (collector), who will test, weigh and pay spot + $10.00).

B

terryinr.i.

Mar 31, 2009
R.I.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace250. Tasoro Vaquaro.
anyone know what this acid is? i have some old one mabe this would help.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrubber said:
A tv station locally (Seattle, WA area) recently did a story about selling jewelry items. They took items in to a number of jewelry stores and pawn shops. Surprisingly, pawn shops consistently offered more for them. :icon_scratch:

scrubber

No, no, no!
Midwest Refinery.
They give the best prices, as far as I know. Never have had a problem with them, ever.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
scrubber said:

scrubber

No, no, no!
Midwest Refinery.
They give the best prices, as far as I know. Never have had a problem with them, ever.

My post was only about a study comparing pawn shop and jewelry store offers in the Seattle area, and only pertaining to jewelry items. I have no idea if a refiner would offer more since I would think they would only be paying on a basis of precious metal (scrap) value rather than jewelry value as a resellable item. I also wouldn't want to have to mail an item to a refinery before knowing what they'd pay.

But I would assume that, for scrap prices, jewelers or pawn shops would pay less than a local refiner because they would need to get their markup for being the middleman.

scrubber

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
NIC-A-LENE Company, Shreveport. LA, 71109
Date Restorer For Nickles
Contains Ferric-Chloride

SpiderCoil

Jun 9, 2009
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickDraw II & someday an MXT300.
If it's a zink penny ( and the coin star jams up because of them), paint them gold and throw 'em in a little treasure chest, then give as present, kids luve 'em!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread