NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Monday afternoon at about 1pm, Our club ( Michigan Treasure Hunters ) lost another water hunter from drowning. He was not out there alone. He and a close friend of his were water hunting in Pontiac Lake at Pontiac Lake state park. The Oakland Press said in their headlines that a " SCAVENGER " had been rescued from the water. They also made no mention that he was already deceased on the spot. Our club is graetly incensed at the reporter ( Shaun Byron ) for reporting the late Bill Whitman as being a "Scavenger" The autopsy didn't show heart attack, but his wife has said that Bill didn't feel too well before he left for the hunt with his friend. His friend said that as soon as Bill turned his machine on and made a single pass, he found a gold charm, so both went out about waist deep and turned away from each other to hunt parrallel to the beach, and when they get to their respective ends of the beach area, they turn and face each other, and move over a couple feet and walk towards each other, that is when his friend said people on the beach were pointing to someone floating face down in the water (shallow water) When Bill's friend got to him, it was already too late, he was gone. His friend said that Bill's machine was off and that, that was peculiar, since Bill never shuts his machine off till they get back to the vehicle. So we all thorize that Bill was having a medical problem and had turned his machine off and was heading back to shallow water, but never made it out. Our prayers and condolences have gone out to Barb and George William " Bill " Whitman. Our webmaster has sent this letter to the Oaklnd Press asking for a retraction of the "Scavenger Title" and asked them to re-post their story as a "Detectorist" Not a scavenger on their front page. Here is the post from Greatlakesmetaldetecting.com Welcome to our web site! MICHIGAN TREASURE HUNTERS is an organization for those people who enjoy all kinds of treasure hunting. Metal detecting coin and jewelry, relic hunting, bottle digging and ghost town searching, to name just a few. A bonus treasure is found in the fellowship with others who are also interested in our hobby-treasure hunting!!!

In existence since 1974, our club's primary objective is the promotion of treasure hunting, while keeping proper conservation measures in mind, and teaching correct treasure hunting techniques. Our club's motto is "WE LEAVE IT CLEANER THAN WE FOUND IT."

Terrible News

It is with regret that I post the loss of another MTH member while water detecting. I received the news Monday evening that Bill Whitman (long time member of the Michigan Treasure Hunters club) passed away. He was found unconscious in the water while detecting in Pontiac Lake Monday with his friend Fred Christensen. Bill was taken to Pontiac General Hospital but never regained consciousness.
I only knew Bill for a brief seven years through the MTH club but considered him as a good friend. Reporting this saddens me as we approach the one year anniversary of the death of my other good friend, Tom Weaver. Bill was one of the pillars of MTH. He and his wife Barb Whitman would do anything to support the club. From setting up chairs at meetings to managing full club functions like the annual Open Hunts, Bill was there to help. I personally learned a great deal about MTH from Bill. His tips got me through my one year position as president in 2004. We at MTH will miss him. His passing is a great loss to all of us who knew him.

For arrangements see "George William "Bill" Whitman" on RJ Nixon Funeral Home website here or click here.

Please keep Bill and Barb in your thoughts and prayers.

Ross Soderberg

If you want to get involved and vent you IRE about how we have been labeled as Scavengers, go to http://www.greatlakesmetaldetecting.com and look in the main posting forum for the post titled " Bill Whitman by Pezhead, that's me. There is a link to the newspaer story. Thanks all..........NGE

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot to mention, Bill was only 76 years young.....NGE

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Sorry to hear about such a great loss, I do hope the paper makes an effort to correct the article as well.

Best wish`s ,

Kurt and Connie

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
What a truly sad story. And to have the paper defame him like that is despicable! Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all who are suffering from his loss.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all, The Oakland Press is in Oakland County Michigan.

M

michigan michael

:( Sad news...... Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RIP Bill,may your new path be filled with jaw`dropping treasures.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again everyone. I posted this because, I want to remind everyone NOT to water hunt alone! Whilst Bill was not hunting alone, if you do not feel well in the morning, Do Not go! Go later in the day, and take a friend with you, even if they don't hunt, just as a lookout for your safety, they may read a book on the beach, or play in the shallow water. I also want to let everyone know that most of our letters and E-Mails apparently are falling on blind eyes and complaints (verbal) are falling on deaf ears! We will NOT let this happen for very much longer, Bill's family is even complaining to them. WE WANT A RETRACTION! And will settle for nothing less. They ( the newspaper ) has been invited to one of our meetings, to see what it is all about, Our next meeting is June 23rd. I hope someone from the paper shows up, and comes away with a better understanding and definition of the word "Scavenger" and the word "Detectorist" The two are NOT interchangeable! We MUST stand up for our rights as detectorists, even if it means attacking a large newspaper with letters, emails, and phone calls. If you detect a little P.O.'dness in my writing, You are absolutely correct! I am Pissed!.........NGE

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Sorry for the loss of your friend. :(

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doin' what he loved :( ..........(best way to go :headbang: )

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Sorry to hear about the death of your friend.

I also think the word Scavenger was disrespectful and should be retracted and apologized for. Please let us know if any progress is made with the newspaper.

Ray S

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got this from the Oakland Press. No apology, no retractions, just a fancy obit in their life section, buried in the middle of the paper somewhere. He**, the Man ( Bill) was from Wayne County. Very few people know who he was. This part of my message is for the okelannnd press. May your publikashun goe down da tube like the free prest. Here is da article.....NGE http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/06/22/life/doc4a3f4c2357999249307290.txt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am saddened by the loss of a fellow treasure hunter.

I too have heard the term "scavenger" used senonomously with metal detecting, and it is not only degrading, it is not correct.

WIKIPEDIA describes a person who scavenges or a (scavenger) as a waste picker. Waste pickers are persons you see at the dump sorting through GARBAGE for re-cyclables.

Metal detectorist's fall into the catagory of treasure seekers or hunters, as we do not sift through garbage, we are looking for "lost treasure"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread