Got exclusive permission to hunt 1770 house!!!! Pics

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a shot and did some investigating into a house built in 1770 that is slated for demolition. I found out who purchased it, made a few calls and the builder/owner told me no problem, I can go there as much as I want before it comes down, which is probably in a few months. All the people that I talked to don't recall anyone metal detecting there before. It has been vacant for about three years and before that a very old recluse woman lived there for years. Last year they had a huge estate sale that lasted a few weeks. The woman was a hoarder and a packrat and you could barely move in the house. The only reason they are taking it down or at least most of it is that it is not structurally sound. Check out these pics. It has downpoured here for three days so I am waiting till the ground dries out and I am going to take it slow and grid off the whole yard. I think I will start on Sunday. I will keep everyone posted as I make my finds. Wish me luck!! By the way, that's my 13 year old son giving the "thumbs up" in one of the pics. Rich.

Attachments

• try 2.jpg
    try 2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 561
  • t-net5.jpg
    t-net5.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 549
  • t-net4.jpg
    t-net4.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 554
  • t-net3.jpg
    t-net3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 561
  • t-net2.jpg
    t-net2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 544
  • t-net1.jpg
    t-net1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 549
  • tnet6.jpg
    tnet6.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 535

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a awsome huntin site ,I wish we` had stuff like this down here going out,good luck an dig em all :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck rich. I always love getting permission to hunt a house like that. THe ones where you can grid it all off, and go nice and easy. You will get some good finds for sure. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Mainer

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Good luck. :icon_thumleft:

Looks like a prime hunting location.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
THAT'S being torn down ??
What a waste! I wonder if the 'structurally unsound' thing is a developer's excuse for replacing it with townhouses or a new huge house?

Jay

OP
OP
richm

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay , actually they are going to try to restore the front portion but all the additions in the back are coming down. The builder had a lot of opposition from the historical society so they are going to try to compromise. Unlike the 1704 house that they ripped down right near my house to build of all things, a car wash!! That was a waste! Some of the houses in this town date back to the 1600's. That's a hole on a golf course you see butting right up to the property in the back yard incidentally. Rich.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Good luck on the hunt. Shame about the house. Hope they leave the trees. One near me was removed for a series of patio housing. House was built in 1792 and was in pretty nice shape, with all the original out buildingd. The owner kept it nice, but an offer came through and poof, Gone.

Hit all those signals. And please post those nice finds.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hunt closest to the house first so if they start tearing it down before you finish the property you will have already finished that area.
Then you can finish the rest of the property and not be in the way. :thumbsup:

You probably already thought of that but I'm a grandpa and I tell people stuff they already know. :tongue3:

GG~

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I heartily agree with Goodguy,
Hunt closest to the parts they will tear down first,

Good luck and Happy hunting.
can't wait to see what you find.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
It sure would be nice if that old home can be restored, it's a shame to see part of it come down. Good luck in your hunt, keep us posted. HH John

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
I looked at it on GoogleEarth and that golf course is definately right at the back. I guess fairway condos are it's future.
A shame since that kind of history is a long way from the westcoast.

At least you get to detect it. :thumbsup:

Jay

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is always fun to hunt a Colonial home that is still standing. We hit a few last year and found some nice coppers. If the home hasn't been hunted, you will find a few old coppers. Good luck!

Kirk

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturna said:
I looked at it on GoogleEarth and that golf course is definately right at the back. I guess fairway condos are it's future.

Jay

Jay,
You are a good detective. :thumbsup:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome location! :thumbsup: I have had my best luck searching while the ground is still moist from a rain. Might be something to do with conductivity?
Scott

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
Goodyguy said:
Saturna said:
I looked at it on GoogleEarth and that golf course is definitely right at the back. I guess fairway condos are it's future.

Jay

Jay,
You are a good detective. :thumbsup:

Oh, not really. I just Googled Jonathan Wilcox 1770 :icon_sunny:

If the sign hadn't been there, I would have tried a combination of Sotheby's , 370(the address) , golf , demolition, etc. but the name makes it easy.

I sure hate seeing such a lovely historic house like that get destroyed. I'm envious of the history back east.

Jay

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh d@mn, three words-

fly on sh!t

good luck! ::)