Housewife Finds £250,000 Treasure With Metal Detector

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...inds-250000-treasure-with-metal-detector.html

Picture 3.jpg

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Congratulations to her.

I wish she would join T-Net. That would look nice on the banner. :thumbsup:

Randy

S

stefen

A housewife has discovered a 15th-century gold treasure valued at £250,000 with a metal detector.

By Ben Leach
Published: 9:09AM BST 25 Jun 2009

The find is thought to be part of a high-quality reliquary or pendant, and depicts the Holy Trinity. It is the first item of any real worth that Mary Hannaby has found in seven years of combing fields and beaches.

Mrs Hannaby, 57, from Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, made the discovery while out on one of her regular six-hour Sunday detecting walks with her son Michael, a 33 year-old wood carver.

The treasure had been buried four inches below the ground for around 500 years - despite repeated ploughing and previous attempts by the Hannabys to unearth treasure on the same patch of arable field between Ashridge and Great Gaddesden.

"You get a buzz every time you get a signal, but chances are it won't be anything," said Mrs Hannaby, a former pub kitchen worker.

"This time, it popped up all of a sudden," said her son. "You can literally miss things by inches. We couldn't believe it. We always dreamed of finding treasure."

Under the Treasure Act of 1996, finders must report potential treasure such as gold and silver objects more than 300 years old. Finders are offered the market value for their discoveries which museums have first option to buy.

Roger Bland, head of treasure at the British Museum, describes the item - which at 2.8cm by 2.3cm, is barely larger than a postage stamp - as an "important find", and said he regrets that the museum does not currently have the funds to buy it.

As one of only three of its kind to have survived, the find could be worth even more than £250,000, and its engraving is being compared to that of the Middleham Jewel, which sold at auction for £1.3million in 1986 and was later resold to the Yorkshire Museum for £2.5million.

Sotheby's will auction it in London on July 9.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I just let my wife (she also is a house wife) read this post and she grabbed my MD and is in the front yard. :thumbsup:

S

stefen

RPG said:
I just let my wife (she also is a house wife) read this post and she grabbed my MD and is in the front yard. :thumbsup:

She can do double duty and mow the lawn at the same time

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I could be out of debt if I fund something like that. Very nice find.....Matt

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four inches deep. Only in England. I'm packing as I write this. Even CC could have found that with his.... detector. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread