The walking dead are among us.

plains digger

Apr 21, 2009
Westwood Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Whites DFX
My brother Roy saw his neighbor hauling a safe to the curb for trash. He went over and asked about it. His neighbor said the safe has been in his house since he bought it and has never got it open. As you tillted the safe you could hear something was inside. So my brother took it home. A crow bar, hammer and two minutes was all it took to open the safe. Inside were two cash boxes with the keys in them, but no $$.
Could you even consider putting a safe in the trash when you didn't know what was in it???
The fact there are people out there with no curiosity or sense of adventure in them makes me sad.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people just don't like to hassel with anything. I have cleaned out garages before for people and they told me I could keep anything that I wanted just get rid of everything. Made some nice extra cash tht way....Matt

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago.. I stopped at a garbage for some hockey sticks for the kids... I saw some boxes and opened the top one. Staring up at me was a big coffee mug full with change ( 5 inches high ) several dollars worth. Thats not all inside was also 12 silver dollars quit a few silver halves ,silver quarters ,dimes Gold Watch and more money. All in plain sight ... I don't think they opened the boxes up before they threw them out...

I would have been curious too..

Strange how some people are...........

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plains digger said:
My brother Roy saw his neighbor hauling a safe to the curb for trash. He went over and asked about it. His neighbor said the safe has been in his house since he bought it and has never got it open. As you tillted the safe you could hear something was inside. So my brother took it home. A crow bar, hammer and two minutes was all it took to open the safe. Inside were two cash boxes with the keys in them, but no $$.
Could you even consider putting a safe in the trash when you didn't know what was in it???
The fact there are people out there with no curiosity or sense of adventure in them makes me sad.

Even the Keys are a cool Find.

& I Agree especially when You tilt it
& Hear something inside.

Reminds me of the Show If walls could talk
& The couple Who bought the Former Bank
& Are slowly Opening the locked Safe deposit
boxes Finding Treasures.

I Can't believe the former Owners
Never Bothered, especially before selling.

and even the New owners taking their Time
opening a few Daily.

Would have taken me a Thorazine Drip
to keep me Out.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The law in every state makes the state the custodian of all unclaimed property in safety deposit boxes. The items are sold and the money held in escrow for up to 100 years in some states. In most states the items will be seized by the state no later than seven years after no activity. I would say the people you are talking about stand to be in a whale of a lot of trouble. In no state does the contents of those boxes become the property of the bank. I believe the legal term for what they will be charged with is ILLEGAL CONVERSION and the bank will be charged with VIOLATING FIDUCIARY OBLIGATION or something like that. siegfried schlagrule

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Kinda reminds me of this my buddy set me the other day.

All I can say is...........WOW!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
The law in every state makes the state the custodian of all unclaimed property in safety deposit boxes. The items are sold and the money held in escrow for up to 100 years in some states. In most states the items will be seized by the state no later than seven years after no activity. I would say the people you are talking about stand to be in a whale of a lot of trouble. In no state does the contents of those boxes become the property of the bank. I believe the legal term for what they will be charged with is ILLEGAL CONVERSION and the bank will be charged with VIOLATING FIDUCIARY OBLIGATION or something like that. siegfried schlagrule

1054087-H.jpg

Host Mike Siegel, right, explores the safety deposit boxes found within a Spring City, Pa., home that was formerly a bank and is now owned by Cathy Calhoun, center, and Patrick Calhoun, left.

Attachments

• 1054087-H.jpg
    1054087-H.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 584

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're lucky the guys wife wasn't inside. :o ;D :tongue3:
-MM-

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
What if...... he knew what was inside and just told you he did not...........

He probably went back in the house an ROFL....... :sign10:

Just a thought.....
;D

Ray S

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
I had a family freind give me a safe a while back. I think a pixel safe made in toledo ohio. he sad I could have it if I got it out of his garage. My first quesiton was do you have the combination, he said yes I will get it from my mother inlaw. so I got my trailer , and backed up to his garage. safe had wheels, but did not swivel. hooked up my winch, and ramped it up onto the trailer. tied it down and went home. unloading was very interesting gravity helped alot, used my lawn tractor to push in to shop. and then waited for the combination... waited.....waited........................finaly about a week latter he give it to me. cobination worked fine,, and with a very heafty heave ho pulled the door open. wow beautiful inside, wooden drawers,each with key lock,, and one little steel door with lock and key. and a big area with pasley type material,looks like the old western carpet bagger sachels the would carry, anyhow I found a whole bunch of real estate tax papers, dating way back. I think the whole farm was taxed at 28 dollars. and a silver box that had a morgan dollar in it,, and a mercury dime. not a major find,,,, but I was excited. however ,, being it was gift,, I told the fellow what I found and asked him if he wanted it back.. and he said yes.... but I didnt think the safe had anything in it. so anyhow that is my safe story, just wanted to share it.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
The safe to be open with a crow bar was a fairly cheap one.

Advice to people. Safes cracking is not the safest thing to do. Some old safes have tubes of chemical to be released if messed with.

Also they have been used to store hazardous material, such as explosives. Let a professional open them. Safer that way.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
See,...things like this really disprove the theory of evolution to me. Not meaning to start that debate so no arguements please , but if we are the culmination of millions of years and the evolutionary flagship then how could so many people be so stupid and lazy. Rip the safe open to see whats inside......THEN throw it to the curb.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have seen postings of a crow bar to kick it to the curb, a locksmith to open it and reset the combination, and even a don't touch that dial, it's booby trapped and all safes are full of explosives. I like to show off my imagination, but some of these responses show how narrow minded my imagination really is.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
LOL Seamuss I have seen cyanide stored in safes. I have seen explosives stored in safes. and so on. Folks will place in safes material that folks need protected form: as well as material that folks need to protect.
As I said on this one to open it with a crowbar, it was a junk safe.

Seamuss said:
I have seen postings of a crow bar to kick it to the curb, a locksmith to open it and reset the combination, and even a don't touch that dial, it's booby trapped and all safes are full of explosives. I like to show off my imagination, but some of these responses show how narrow minded my imagination really is.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
lostcauses said:
LOL Seamuss I have seen cyanide stored in safes. I have seen explosives stored in safes. and so on. Folks will place in safes material that folks need protected form: as well as material that folks need to protect.
As I said on this one to open it with a crowbar, it was a junk safe.

Seamuss said:
So have I. But a home safe or a bank safe being lumped in that fact that all safes are full of explosives. Really, I never knew how many people stored explosives at home or a bank vault. That's the narrow minded view that I had of society.

Yes, explosives were stored in safes for mines and highway engineers. Which one of those fields do I fit into? Oh, I forgot hydro-electric power plants that need explosives to made room for the dam.

Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe I'm not. But come on with this governmental agent storing explosive in my safe and yours. Oh, about my safe, I got rid of it. It wasn't safe anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions